Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Who comes up with these stupid rules?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I am starting to wonder why I ever bothered coming onto this server to play. I certainly don't seem to be getting on well here. When I first found it, Disco seemed absolutely wonderful and I thoroughly enjoyed myself, but the longer I have been playing, the more disappointment I seem to be having. For example;

Now that I am no longer a youngster, my reactions are just not up to PvP and I get stuffed bigtime if I get into a PvP. So I decided to generally avoid all the Police/Military 'careers' Ok that is down to my physical limitations and is not the game/server's fault, but is one of life's little disappointments that I have to live with, and although I kept my Bounty Hunter, everywhere he goes he is hated. It got depressing roleplaying him, so I scrapped him and decided to find something more suitable for myself to play.

Next I decided to try my hand at mining. I built up my credits until I could afford a Hedgemon and thought great, "hiho, hiho, it's off mining I go...". I hated the Hedgemon! After playing for a few minutes, I was already sick of the bloody racket you have to put up with when flying it. After half an hour, I was ready to crash into a planet just to get rid of the ******* thing! So I looked around to see what other transports can be used for mining......NONE! Any other transport except the Hedgemon and you lose the mining bonus! (Why, for God's sake? Why can't you use the Ragnar, Behemoth or Golem, which are all classified as mining ships?)

Only ALG can use anything else, and they are limited to scrap metal (toxic waste isn't worth mining) and then only they only get a mining bonus in New London or New Berlin. What a croc of ****, why can't they get the bonus in other systems such as Texas perhaps, since they supposedly are welcome to clean up anywhere?

Next I decided to become a trader, and I at last seemed to have found what suits me. Only to have it pointed out to me that I am in breach of rule 6.10, because despite my Independent Trader ID, my ship, a Bactrian (which is probably the best freighter in the game) is illegal to use in Liberty space. Ok, I can't understand why any ship 'type' should be banned, rather than the pilot's ID type, but to stay legal I scrape up every credit I can get and go off to buy a nice big transort ship, get a new ALG ID and start working for them hauling Toxic Waste initially. Less than a day later I get told that my nice shiny new Rhineland Behemoth is illegal to use in Liberty Space. However if I care to upgrade it to a Rhineland Golem (the ALG 'Mover'), that is perfectly legal to use all over Liberty.

What the ..............? Is someone trying to be deliberately difficult? Where is the justification for this stupid rule?

If there is a ban on certain Rhineland ships in Liberty, then why so inconsistant by not banning all Rhineland ships?
And why penalize me for working in an ALG approved ship, carrying out ALG approved business, which is apparently consistant with their contract to clear up the scrap metal from the'dangerous' areas of Liberty AND to remove the unwanted Toxic Waste.

Is someone trying to take the P*** here, or is it just badly thought out and implemented rules?
Bear's conspiracy fails there ;D
All that may seem to be retarded to you, but to those who survived the retardedness of 4.84 and of a lot of things in 4.85 that you dont even know about yet, its normal.
GREAT! You mean it gets worse???:(
' Wrote:GREAT! You mean it gets worse???:(

Only if you don't read up on the relevant stuff before proceeding with a plan.
' Wrote:So I looked around to see what other transports can be used for mining......NONE! Any other transport except the Hedgemon and you lose the mining bonus! (Why, for God's sake? Why can't you use the Ragnar, Behemoth or Golem, which are all classified as mining ships?)

The wiki dissents you. But, hmm, I tried the same with all required 4 points (ID, IFF, weapon, ship) and it seemed it don't work accurate...
Rhineland & Liberty, the war is going on....so they cant allow each others ship in their space.....

same with Kusari - Bretonia.....

See teech chart hope it will help you...
I'll respond to the stuff about Liberty and Rheinland, since the law there is an RP enforced set of laws.

Quote:Next I decided to become a trader, and I at last seemed to have found what suits me. Only to have it pointed out to me that I am in breach of rule 6.10, because despite my Independent Trader ID, my ship, a Bactrian (which is probably the best freighter in the game) is illegal to use in Liberty space.

The Bactrian is a ship that many rogues use as a freighter to haul around illegal or stolen wares. In terms of players, very few of these exist, but it is assumed that with the choice of this ship also comes a choice of role. Consider that many people tend to attempt abuse of freedoms given to them, such as the benefit of the doubt.

Simply put, the Bactrian is a part of the pirate line of ships, and is often seen committing illegal activities. This is similar to the banning of both the Pirate Transport and the Pirate Train within Liberty, which are both strong transport piracy ships.

Quote:Less than a day later I get told that my nice shiny new Rhineland Behemoth is illegal to use in Liberty Space. However if I care to upgrade it to a Rhineland Golem (the ALG 'Mover'), that is perfectly legal to use all over Liberty.

What the ..............? Is someone trying to be deliberately difficult? Where is the justification for this stupid rule?

A particular group of individuals in the past, and Rheinland corporation independents in general, often commit acts of privateering (essentially, piracy with foreign support) within Liberty using the Behemoth, which is an excellent transport for piracy. These are almost exclusively under the banner of Republican and Daumann, but the selection of the Behemoth and it's location in Liberty is a fairly clear indication of the owners' intentions.

ALG, on the other hand, is a corporation that is relatively unaffected by the current state of war and embargo between Liberty and Rheinland. This is because they provide a crucial service to Liberty, that is competition with the Junkers of the on-going cleanup effort of New York. The ALG mover itself is not as dangerous in terms of fire-power and manoeuvrability as the Behemoth.

In both cases, the reason that exceptions are hard or impossible to obtain is because, unless you have two screens, you cannot keep track of the person who is meant to be halted infront of you and check the relevant list for their name. The inclusion of many lists, which get longer as time goes on, also increases the paperwork load.

I hope these answer your questions concerning Liberty's ship usage rights.

If you have further concerns, my PM box is open for these things. I'd like to have a discussion on the law of Liberty with someone with a fresh mind, as they can point out new things that may not have been seen. FYI the Liberty Forces High Command (=LSF=, [LN], LPI-) all reviewed the law before it was published, and I wrote the original draft (which isn't much different from the current one pinned in the comms section)

Oh yes, before I forget, here's a link to the vast majority of the RP laws of the houses and major factions.

http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=32168

Lots of words I know, but it should be fairly close to what law IRL is like, except far more draconian. This is due to the lack of a judicial department within each house to handle these things.
' Wrote:ALG, on the other hand, is a corporation that is relatively unaffected by the current state of war and embargo between Liberty and Rheinland. This is because they provide a crucial service to Liberty, that is competition with the Junkers of the on-going cleanup effort of New York. The ALG mover itself is not as dangerous in terms of fire-power and manoeuvrability as the Behemoth.

So basically despite using an ALG ship with ALG ID doing work approved by both ALG and LIBERTY GOVERNMENT, I am personna non grata anywhere in Liberty space.

Well thanks a bunch and SIEG HEIL MINE FUHRER!

I have been deliberately working around Liberty space, chatting with newbies and giving them credits to help them get started. Guess that isn't going to be happening anymore. Perhaps I should join the pirates and blow the sh*t out of thern instead, that is probably legal then!
The Behemoth is not solely an ALG ship. It is commonly used by other Rheinland-based shipping firms, and since the start of the war between Liberty and Rheinland, it has been used more than once to leverage credits and/or cargo from Liberty's citizens within her borders.

The ALG Mover has no such activity attributed with it, and remains patented to ALG, who wish to retain neutrality during this time of conflict and provide Liberty with an essential service in return.

The reason that Rheinland transport ships with the ALG ID are not exempted from this policy is due to the need to keep the law as simple as possible so people can understand it entirely without too many issues.

EDIT: In simpler terms, the law is written to fit the lowest common denominator, and contingencies for exceptions are not in place to make the law easier to understand, follow and enforce.
Pages: 1 2 3