Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: healthy roleplay or not
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
now - we had countless of threads pointing fingers - RP threads subtly pointing fingers - and communications ... where we are pointing fingers.

now what we did not have yet was a 100% ooc thread asking:

[color=#cc0000]"is what we roleplay at that time really BENEFICIAL for discovery 24/7? or detrimental"

the admins could/should have answered/commented on that one long before ( if we consider them not only admins but also counselors or game masters )

now :

- this is NOT flood - but the general discussion
- no pointing fingers or blaming anyone - this is not the point of the thread - it is only an OBJECTIVE view if what we play is actually beneficial ( fun for all, none upsetting the complex roleplay enviroment we are in )
- flames, trolls, ppl pointing fingers shall be purged from that thread.

ps.:

people regularly asure the community that "there is no dislike between players, there is only dislike between characters" i do hope that is the truth and every player ( cause we are players, not characters ) has an opinion about the benficial / detrimental nature of what we do.

i wish not to hear anything from some factions point of view - but from a players point of view.

this is also not particularly about zoners, corsairs, core - it is in general - cause the factions involved can be replaced by any other faction at any other time.

my personal opinion is that:

we spiral down a road that NO one really wants to go - yet EVERYONE is determined to keep going. - and that is bad.
Yep. Admins need to step in here since that mess is headed OORP, and that is not good. But they did not do so the first time around, and I do not expect that they will do so now. So it'll be a pewfest a while again (one I will not participate in) and a few more players will decide to leave. At least it's not a blanket "shoot every zoner" this time around, but a "shoot every Omicroner and Zoner in Theta". People have a chance to be fed up and move to another part of Sirius.

All over a few cubic miles of imaginary space. It'd be funny if it weren't sad.
I dont think this thread will bring anything beatifically to the argument, because as long as factions are told that they can have a say in the development of their factions rp and storyline, we have people moving further and further away from the lore of the disco as envisioned by the story-line and the ingame information. For example, last night I used a base that I was legally allowed to use, and that it was in rp for me to be docking on, and I get yelled at in skype because as the person yelling said "The base shouldnt be there and we are going to get it removed next version so dont use it." Factions have too much control in driving their storyline, and as long as that is the case, nothing will change.
There's no cut and dried answer. Some of it is good fun, detailed and dynamic. Other stuff is insulting, irreverent and poorly thought out.

I could talk about the posting age of some people here or their ability to develop RP or a thread rather than kill it but sadly it seems, the numbers are low and murder is on their minds.

Quote:there is no dislike between players, there is only dislike between characters
It would be nice but there are genuinely some real pieces of work out there. I only have to go back through my skype chat to see some very personal views of players. It's almost never directed at characters. Sure, some get called idiots or holes but thats about as bad as it gets. It's the posts on the forum that cause the most grief.

Quote:we spiral down a road that NO one really wants to go - yet EVERYONE is determined to keep going. - and that is bad.
No one wants to blink first because no-one actually gets hurt so everyone pretends they have nothing to lose. This attitude destroys the ability to roleplay because there is no cause/effect balance.

I will say, for the record that some really do try but they are now the minority. I'd go further but it would be misunderstood.
' Wrote:For example, last night I used a base that I was legally allowed to use, and that it was in rp for me to be docking on, and I get yelled at in skype because as the person yelling said "The base shouldnt be there and we are going to get it removed next version so dont use it."
Reunion? :laugh:

Quote:Factions have too much control in driving their storyline, and as long as that is the case, nothing will change.
Nail on the head Zelot. I'd love to see the admin team yank folks back to the canon storyline so things actually start to make sense again. It took me a good 3 months to figure out most of the factions's stances with eachother (and I am still confused from time to time). Mollies that aren't criminals, Junker pirates (imho, they should just be smugglers, NOT pirates), Order at war with Liberty, Hellfire Legion actually mopping up pirates... the list goes on. To properly roleplay in GC as a new player you need to spend almost a full week of reading the Wiki in order to learn what's what.
Yeah, people take things far too seriously, getting caught up in the moment. So many people tell me on my Nomads/Wild that I'm ruining the server because I exist.

Lolwuts aside, even the veteren players throw personal vendettas out under the guise of roleplay. I think this is the current problem for the Zoners. Zoners all roleplay how they think Zoners should be, instead of what they are.

Problematic.
Kudos Jinx, you nailed it. That being said I wish I had a better answer for you. What I've been observing for some time now and it really shouldn't surprise anyone is that Discovery mirrors the real world very well. The characters are powered by real people. I'm not going to turn this into an anthropological discussion, but the fact is you can't turn people away from who they are. There will always be temptation. People will metagame. They will lose their tempers. They will lose sight of characters and focus on how angry they are and the real person that made things happen.

I think you're comparing the admins to game masters is a good one too. Game masters should be able to stop people from acting more like themselves than like their characters. The problem there is that the admins don't seem to want to do that and in all honesty I can't say I blame them. The admins do quite a bit of work here already and they get dumped on constantly for it. I often question why anyone would want to be an admin at all.

I'm sorry if I'm not very helpful. I'll just close by saying that role play is the chance to be someone other than yourself. Which is good because my real life is far too boring for Disco. Yes, I do put elements of myself into my characters, I think everyone does. Just remember that there are parts of you that don't belong in your characters as well.
Too much ooRP hatred has been caused and is causing too much more of it. If the Admins can end it somehow, I'd welcome it.
The reason why factions seem so out of line with the storyline is because the bloody storyline is a year old.

The new storyline takes into account the change, usually decided by the devs and not just by the factions.

If the mod updated daily with new changes, every faction would be perfectly in line with the storyline.
Ish.
I don't get the point of this thread...

RP with guns is good RP though!
Pages: 1 2 3