Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Cultural and Holiday Events
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well; Awhile ago we had Veterans Day and certain forum posts were deleted due to certain situations regarding topics of special cases.

Which brought me to the idea of celebrating these Holiday's in the form of in-game events. Such as a in-game version of a 21-Gun Salute over Manhattan by the Liberty Navy or so... But would that also fall under the purview of the rule that removed the Veterans Day posts? Or would it be acceptable?

EDIT: I fail. Removed.
Some of us come to this server to get away from real life issues and debates. There are more than enough ways to show ones patriotism or cultural pride in real life, you don't have to constantly show your patriotism to be patriotic. It really doesn't have a place in a fictitious, future space game.
Well yes but, I was looking at it from a Roleplay standpoint.

We do not specifically have to celebrate "4th of July" or Remembrance day, it seems very silly to do so from an in-character standpoint.

But as a fun and interesting thing to do, celebrate some type of Holiday or Cultural event in regards to the patrons House. It would in essence, enrich RP - Add a more human touch rather than the cut-throat trader, pirate, cop triangle we have right now. Some type of Sirius wide event to remember the exodus from Sol or the like.

Even so; I think this would also bring people together in a less violent manner, considering most of our events detail some form of fighting. Unless somebody gets a bit tipsy on Liberty Ale...
You know, Even though I don't personally believe in the line below, but some do, and I believe that is why we're trying to keep these type of events and debates out of this community:

- People come here to play this game from all over the world. I'm not speaking about any certain event, but most of dates which remind a certain nation of 'Heroic acts of Patriotism', mean nothing more than 'celebrating slaughter and murder' to another, who happened to be on the wrong end of the gun at the time of the original event.

Now keep in mind that I'm not referring to any specific event or date, and not pointing out any nation - as a matter of fact, I don't disagree these types of events even if my country would've been the one pointed a gun at during the time. But after all, this community exists of numerous view points, and it's better if we just keep it as a game with not much references to our real life stuff, rather than turning it into a 'Memorial of present day, 1000 years in a fictional future'.
Learn to read.

Or rather work on your comprehension.

I was unsure of the reasoning behind prohibiting conversation on current present-day events on the forums. So I was wondering if that would extend to all Holiday things, fictitious or otherwise.

Now that I am aware we do not talk about thing's like Veteran's Day due to debates in real life - And since that reason is not relevant to my idea - Would having Discovery's own system of Holiday or Cultural events be a good idea?

I am NOT suggesting to go out to 4th of July and celebrate American Independence in-game. I am not suggesting to make a memorial to something millions of years ago... I am suggesting to create unique holiday's for the Server.
There are already mentions of holidays such as these ingame. For example, there are two in Bretonia that I noticed while reading news articles there yesterday. Founders Day, to celebrate the landing of the Sleeper Ship Bretonia and the Queen's birthday (the 40th in the original game). I'm sure other similar events could be added for various houses.

The Mollys probably have their own separate holiday on Founders, simply because that's also the date their armed uprising started.
' Wrote:Learn to read.
' Wrote:the idea of celebrating these Holiday's in the form of in-game events.
' Wrote:I am NOT suggesting to go out to 4th of July and celebrate American Independence in-game.

Then I believe you had a poor choice of words in your main post.

To try and put it clear: You're suggesting celebrating certain dates from Disco Story-Line in form of Memorial Events In-Game? Then I don't see why not.
Spontaniously i'd propose that each house gets it's own "Planetfall-Day", same for Corsairs/Outcasts.

Next, GMG could set-up something for the victourious 80-years war, and IMG maybe celebrate a foundation-day.
Yeah, I sort of agree, you worded it poorly in your first post.

I agree with Argonaut - there ought to be individual house celebration days.

Kusari should have the Emporer's Birthday, for example. How about a list of house holidays, and then we figure out WHEN they should be?
Pages: 1 2