Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Making icons
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
To make an icon you will be needing Milksshape, Milkshape 3db exporter (http://discoveryfl.com/dev/index.php?act...0;attach=1), HardCMP and any picture editing software that can save work as TARGA (TGA) files (i use Photoshop, but Gimp could be good as free option).

First you need to prepare TGA file that will represent commodity or ship. Image should be 64x64 px with 72 dpi. It is highly recommended that you make background black to light gray gradient to keep original FL look and feel.

[Image: frra1.jpg]

Now you need to open Milkshape. All modeling options that you need are on the right side of the screen. Using Face option create one surface that exactly 2 by 2 grid lines. It needs to be in the middle of the coordinate system. Option snap to grid is useful in getting precise result.

[Image: 15269262rb4.jpg]

Once created face will have it own group. Rename that group to name of the ship (for better recognition). Name must be unique (ex. li_fighter, li_elite or brliner etc). Also, my using Materials tab add new material. Make sure that newly created group is selected before you apply material to it. Open Texture coordinate editor, while group is selected and press Remap using alignment Front. It will spread out entire face over texture. Check the 3D view on the Milkshape window. There texture should be upside down. If it is not, you will need to adjust wireframe in Texture editor.

[Image: 88011377ok3.jpg]

Once you got your icon to have up side down texture in 3d view you can close Texture editor.

Time to export your icon.
From the File tab choose Export -> Freelancer 3db.

[Image: 79274005lu8.jpg]

Export file under same name as you called your group. From the options select check boxes Export material -> Include in 3db file, Orientation -> Back to Front and scale down value set to 25. Click continue.

[Image: 49642311rz7.jpg]

In the next window you can make final check to 3db tree...

[Image: 41014628jz8.jpg]

Check your result using HardCMP. In HardCMP icon should appear as turned up side down and facing away from you. (Basically you wont be able to see it in Solid state until you turn it around.)

If all went OK you just made your first NN_ICON
Different way of making icons
Written by Nexus:

I would like to share an alternative icon making method that I have been taught. It has many small steps but I have been told that this method is fairly fool prof. The best part is that a total FL modding novice can use it with ease.

Software you need: Image editing software, FL Moddel Cloner and UTF editor.

1) Choose an extisting icon from the Data/Equipment/Models/Commodities/NNicons. Copy and past that into another folder.

2) Load up FL Model cloner and open the Icon you just copied.

There will be 3 minimized tree's on the left hand side, expand all three.

[Image: 2dif3ip.jpg]

Click on the line with the red X under VMesh ID's. A string of text will appear in the New Name box on the right. Find the name of the Icon in that string and replace that portion with the name you will be using. In this case I am replacing cwire_contraband_3 with ID_tut

Before:
[Image: 24y5nk3.jpg]

After:
[Image: 2i7s4e8.jpg]

Note that affter you cange the name the X in the left hand tree turns into a check mark.

Next click on the line with the red X under 3DB (VMeshRef) Names. Replace the back slash with your Icon name.

*NOTE* When you choose an Icon name, always use the same name! If you do not you will encounter errors later. It is case sensitive.

[Image: 2ypexvn.jpg]

Repeat this process with the line under Material ID's.

[Image: qn215d.jpg]

Now you can go into file and Export the model. Be sure to add .3db to the end of the file name. ( Ex ID_tut.3db ) By default the program will try to save it as a .3ds or .cmp which will not work.

This is half of the process. Now you need to open UTF editor and open your newly created icon. Expand the tree and then expand the Material Library and Texture Library sections.

[Image: oa6vwh.jpg]

Slowly double click on both areas that say synth_crop in this example and replace with the name of your icon.

[Image: 33fao9v.jpg]

Now expand the ID_tut under the Material Library. Click on Dt name then go over to the Interpret data as section and change the window to string.

[Image: sxit5k.jpg]

Click the edit button beside string. A window will appear. Replace whatever is there with your icon name. Click Update.

[Image: 2h64yhc.jpg]

Now expand the ID_tut under Texture library. Select the MIP0 and click on the import button.

[Image: 2rf6d8g.jpg]

Choose your icon image and click open.

*NOTE* For best results save your icon image as dds file in your image editor. If you cannot save as a .dds save the file as a .tga, just rember to rotate the image other wise it will appear upside down ingame.

Now hit save and your icon should be finished!

[Image: foop04.jpg]