Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Research Vessel Suggestions?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As the title says, I'm trying to decide what ships would be appropriate for research missions, not a single man scientist on a Spatial, but a reasonably sized vessel capable of a crew of maybe 50-100 people, perhaps more, what do you think would be a good bet?
Luxury Liner or Geisha Cruise Liner.
Rheinland armored transport
Armored transport
heavy lifter
yacht
If you can handle a zoner guard id and the corsairs shooting you, try the Corvo.
Depends on what you're researching exactly. "Modified" prison liners or a yacht are the most suited for staying neutral. I'd go with the latter.

If you want to affiliate with a house, pick any of the Bumblebee/Percheron/Rheinland Armored transport or Behemoth/Mammoth set. Or try the Corvo as suggested or the Reseph.
I use Spatial, Camara, Whale and Corvo like research, scientific and medical vessels (exploration too)
Scimitar, Switchblade, Falcon, Dromedary, Clydesdale, Camara, Armored Transport or Yacht would make excellent ships. Though, nothing but the Yacht could probably fit the number of people that you'd like.

Contrary to popular belief, smaller is more survivable. If you would like to roam around the edgeworlds researching, I would suggest anything but something big. 50-100 people would be a strange research team, all things considered. I would definitely suggest going smaller and decreasing your vulnerability. But, that's your RP choice and not mine.
I'm currebtly using a RAT-Rheinalnd Armored Transport for an archaeological expedition in Omega 11.
Too many people focus on nomads, aliens and exotic systems. No researcher could survive there, at least a civillian one I think.
a spatial is a better bet for edgeworld research.

at the moment a friend of mine is in the Antarctic, researching penguin population decline. she will be there for 4 months, until february. in that particular research station there are only four people. for four months. small shed in middle of big cube.

suggest the same ethos for edgeworld research. when i was exploring disco in a CSV i could pewpew/run from nomads. now when i'm powahtrading in a BWT i get owned by the gunboats, and cd'd by the fighters, i have to mash the regen buttons, and i barely make it out alive.
An armour transport sounds like it could contain more than 50 people, it has a way of defending itself too. The ultimate exploration/research ship is still the Corvo though, better work on a SRP if you want it under Researcher ID.