Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Something that we can ALL Benefit from
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
New users on the Internet are sometimes called "newbies" [or in Discovery's case "lolwut]. Everybody was a newbie once. It is considered to be very good netiquette to share your knowledge and help others who ask questions by email, in news groups, on mailing lists, and in chat rooms, thereby passing on some of the knowledge you have gained. Help the newbies as you wish you were helped.

I was doing research one day on how to properly act on public websites such as this one. It was a research project which I had to do for one of my courses, an Intro to Marketing and Business course in college. I am studying to go into the field on Marketing.

A project that we had to do was how to act properly on the internet. I found a very interesting thing called "netiquette".

Recently I have seen a numerous amount of forums bans do to trolling, insulting, flaming, ext.......

These are the core rules of Netiquette: I bolded some that I think apply to Discovery

Remember the Human

Adhere to the same standards of behavior online as you do in REAL life

Know where you are in cyberspace

Respect other peoples time and bandwidth

Make your self look good online

Share expert knowledge

Help keep flame wars under control

Respect other peoples privacy

Do not abuse your power

Be forgiving of other peoples mistakes

If you want in detail explanations to any of those simple rules just tell me which on and I will be more than happy to do so for you.

By now, some of you are thinking in your head, "What is the B***S***."

This BS is my attempt to the keep our forums a better place to interact with the fellow members of the Discovery community.

If this was in the Flood some of you would be putting +1's and than some flames to make yourself look good, at least in your mind.

But people please keep this in mind, if all the members of Discovery would just follow these simple rules there would be many less problem here in the forums and lighten up the job of Moderators and Administers.

I know this message will not sink in to most people, but if only a handful of people understand I would be happy; even if they have to put it through a translator to understand.

If those couple of members can spread this to their friends in Discovery, I am confiendent we can all make this community just a little bit better.

Thanks!
Yes, I do like tacos.

+1
Now for this,I give kudos.Well done.
' Wrote:Now for this,I give kudos.Well done.

Thanks, I thought it might be a good thing for people to read, even if they want to +1.
Actually, I really was biased when I first saw your name, because I still remember the Oracles|; so I just +1'ed, and now I regret it. I just re-read your post, and I give kudos for it. It would make the forums better if people would follow this "netiquette." Sorry for the troll.

Obligatory +1, though.
I like your avatar Jayce.
Good, yea I undertand its important. For new forumer.

You know, its normall that new ones, for example suggest things that doesnt makes sens, or post something about a subject or idea already massively talked about.

But, I think, that ''flamming'' and trolling, without been mean, can be entertaining and is part of the background here. Still, laughing at someone, or doing off topic quote should not be used on purpose on ''young'' members.
' Wrote:Good, yea I undertand its important. For new forumer.

You know, its normall that new ones, for example suggest things that doesnt makes sens, or post something about a subject or idea already massively talked about.

But, I think, that ''flamming'' and trolling, without been mean, can be entertaining and is part of the background here. Still, laughing at someone, or doing off topic quote should not be used on purpose on ''young'' members.

So you support Trolling, Flaming, etc....?
Oracles|, hell I remember McRoger.

Nice thread, I think we should all remember a bit of common decency here.
' Wrote:Oracles|, hell I remember McRoger.

Nice thread, I think we should all remember a bit of common decency here.

McRoger! That was LONG ago.....Goldar
Pages: 1 2