Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Please help me! Problem connecting to multiplayer servers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am having a problem connecting to multiplayer servers.

My exact problem is this: Whenever I click on a server and press "connect", I immediately get a pop-up that says "I'm sorry, but a connection could not be established to that server." It also tells me that this is usually caused by the server going offline or connection issues, and tell me to try again later. However, whatever I try, connecting to different servers, trying mods or no mods, whatever, it pops up with that same message. It seems like my computer isn't even trying to connect with the servers.

Here's the relevant info:
  • I am running Freelancer v1.0 and 4.84 Discovery
  • I am using Windows Vista
  • I am using the global server workaround
  • I have tried connecting to both 1.0 servers and Discovery servers
  • I have already read this, this, this, these, and none of those apply to or help my problem.
  • I have opened UDP ports 2300-2400 on my router.
  • I have tried reinstalling Freelancer too, that didn't help.
I started a thread in the Welcome forum that didn't lead to any answers, so now I'm asking here. If nobody here can help, can someone please point me to a place where I can get tech support for this? I'd really like to join you guys on what appears to be a real RP server, but as of now, I can't connect to any server at all.
Are using FLMM? If so, which version? You should be using FLMM v. 1.31, as the newer 1.4 beta isn't reliable.

Did you use FLMM to install Discovery? Manual installs usually cause lots of problems, since a manual install copies Discovery files on top of vanilla files, while FLMM edits the vanilla files to make them compatible with Discovery mod.
So there's some progress on my end. Without changing anything, I can sometimes connect to Discovery RP. If I get lucky. I even created a character and logged in, looked up some missions in the bar on Manhattan, saw other players entering and exiting the server, etc. But then I logged out to see if it was a fluke, and then I couldn't log in again.

This has happened twice. Both times seem to involve me leaving Freelancer open and alone for a while, then logging in to the server. It seems like when my computer tries to connect to the server, it is successful. But my computer just doesn't try a lot of the time.
Well, I've managed to play a bit in game, but I really don't like having to get lucky to connect. So I'm going to install XP in a dual-boot, and play Freelancer on that. Wish me luck...
....Good luck