Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Need help from artists
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello.
The time has come to ask for more help from more experienced graphic artists on this board.

I have a PNG file, which is black and white, on a transparent background. I need to make the image adapting itself to the color of the page it is displayed on. For example the background of this post is blue, so I want my PNG file to adapt the blue color. I know it is called the Alpha Channel transparency and I already googled it, but I found only one tutorial on the subject and I didn't work for me. Please help me make it happen.

Thank you.
You'll simply need to change the Opacity settings of the background color (The layer above the actual transparent background) until you get what you want. If you are using Adobe Photoshop, the Opacity can be changed under Layer settings:
[Image: opacity.png]
If you're using any other program (Gimp and such) I can't really help, but shouldn't be really hard to find on your own.

Here is an example: This is a solid blue colored layer with 100% Opacity, so what you see is the actual color of the sample -
[Image: sample1r.png]
But if you lower the layer opacity, while the main background layer is transparent, you'll get a different shade of blue in the final version, depending on the background you put it on (In our case - Forum theme). Here is the same shade of blue but with 50% Opacity, and the backgrounds I've added to these three samples are the colors used in 3 different themes used on this forums (Deep blue, Blue Solution, Abstract).

[Image: sample2t.png] [Image: sample3c.png] [Image: sample4t.png]
Hope it was clear enough.
Aha, thank you for answering. Your tutorial is awesome!

Here is an example of an image.

[Image: exampledelete.png]

It is a shape, filled with gray and some layer effect added. Basically it is acting as a sort of a screen. What I want to do is to manipulate it so that when I put it on top of another background (different color) the image will adopt the color underneath and the grid is still visible.
In other words is it possible to have .png file with just a grid, which will adapt itself to the color of the image it is on? The opacity doesn't work in this case. I did figure out how to do an export of alpha channel transparency with another image and it works well. But when I do the same steps for this sort of image it doesn't work.
So, is there a way to make it happen? I hope you understand what I am trying to make, it is hard to explain with words. Basically a person wants a png with grid only. I tried making the gray into black, white and it didn't work.

Thanks.

( i want this image to look like just the black fading border and the grid. )
So if I get what you mean, you're looking for something like this?
[Image: samplep.png]
To get this, I made a layer as the body of the shape, and I applied the black border on it, but then instead of reducing the Opacity, reduced its Fill ratio (The option right under opacity settings in PS), so it'll alter the color of the main body, but wont touch the borders I had applied on it. This quick sample I made has a Transparent background, a black body at 0% fill ratio which carries the border effect, and the grids as a separate layer between the body layer and the transparent background. So when you check the Layers detail, you'll get something like this:

[Image: sample2sq.png]

---

Edit: Bob, I see you reading this thread. Even renaming your forum acc wont save you, GTFO!
Quote:3 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
2 Members: aerelm, BakaKoneko
Thank you very much. I will try to apply my knew knowledge tomorrow.
' Wrote:Edit: Bob, I see you reading this thread. Even renaming your forum acc wont save you, GTFO!

:happy:
Funnily enough, this is one of the more interesting threads.
Yes, this forum does wonders. Not only you get game related tardness from it, but you can get some awesome help from people who know what they're doing. Very versatile and forum with good community.