Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Long-distance pirating?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I just had a little event in-game which inspired me to ask this. The person involved seem to be a "lolwut" but it made me think how this could pose a potential problem if anyone else attempts it.

Basically what I mean by long-distance pirating is when a pirate asks a trader (assuming he knows the person is in fact a trader) over private comms for a sum of cash. The pirate doesn't have to be anywhere near the person. He could be several systems away. In order to threaten the trader, the pirate proposes posting bounties on the trader if he does not comply. He might tell the trader he has "many friends" who might carry out this bounty. If the pirate is really serious about this, it could be a big hassle for him in the long run, especially if many people respond to the bounty. The pirate could be bluffing as well. There's no way to tell. Sure, you might think "well why would he pay bounties if he's asking for money in the first place." I'm sure most people on this server wouldn't consider piracy their primary money maker so as long as this player has the resources, he could set up this bounty as a way to get back at the trader (and generally just make the trader miserable) as well as to perpetuate the risk involved in a threat like this (make future traders take it more seriously).

My question is whether or not this is more common on the server, if anyone else has done it (and carried out posting a bounty), or if this is even a sanction-able type of an offense (maybe just of 0.0).
Yes I have had the same problem
I don't see a problem with this at all.
If he's bothering you, you can ignore them.
I think.
I find it quite ooRP to contact someone via PM and role play with them. Especially if you aren't allied to them. I see the PM as a extremely secure form of communication.

Though I rarely role play via PMs (and party for that matter). I'd bet the admins would have a dim view of it.

I'd simply ignore you.
' Wrote:I find it quite ooRP to contact someone via PM and role play with them. Especially if you aren't allied to them. I see the PM as a extremely secure form of communication.

Though I rarely role play via PMs (and party for that matter). I'd bet the admins would have a dim view of it.

I'd simply ignore you.

I'd hope the admins wouldn't like it. I personally feel like this could be abused and foul up the whole trader/pirate interaction. The person who did it to me didn't ask for much, and was probably just trolling me with the bounty. I paid him anyways (it was chump change) hoping he would just end it there (and then said he would do the bounty anyway). I'm not too worried about it though.

I was more curious if more capable players were doing this (and not trolling).
Just... Don't pay them the money.
It can't ruin interaction if noone pays them, they'll just stop.
Was he at least in the same system? Did he ever have you in scanner range? Did he have a buddy that could have seen you and passed your location information to him?

I had a guy contact me over Private comms about a 3 months into being on the server. I was in Hamburg close to the Bering jump Gate in my Liberty gunboat. He was in Kusari.

He says "what are you doing ?"
I say "Just patrolling and disrupting Rhienland trade lanes"
He says " Leave the system now IDIOT"
I say " excuse me?" (this is where I look the guy up on the server player list and see that he is in Kusari)
He says " leave the system now or I will make you leave"
I say " dude...you are in Kusari what are you talking about?"
He says " idiot"

After which I dont hear from him...I'm thinking wow..nice guy...and since I am relatively new at that point I wonder if I am doing something wrong...against the rules?...was the guy an admin?..why did he call me an idiot?

So about 4 minutes go buy...and I see an RM contact on my scanner...I'm thinking Cool...some action...and before I know it..a fracking Battleship is on top of me and very very quickly (1 shot kill for the guy... I was still so new I was fumbling with turret view and mouse flight..desperately trying to get away..) shoots me down with no RP, no engagement notice.
After I'm dead...He says "IDIOT next time I tell you to leave a system you do it Idiot"

It is then that I realize that the Battleship pilot is the same guy that was just up in Kusari 4 minutes ago asking me to leave a system over private comms that he is not even playing in at that moment.

I know its not the same as the long distance Pirating example that you are talking about. That is why I asked if He ever showed up on your scanners (or you on His) or if he was even in the same system as you were.

My humble opinion. If you don't show up on my scanners I don't know you exist. Maybe I know you are around because I hear some radio traffic on the system comms from you or I get some intel from an allied player or freelancer, but I still don't know where you are.
Making any kind of demand in private comms with out having had visual or scanner contact is just Lame game play.

Cheers
oZoneRanger

(I still remember the Characters name that was up in Kusari...and that the Battleship had a nice RM in front of it...that said...all of the interactions I have had with the RM since then have been nothing but superb, so no reflection on the rest of them.)
Greetings.

' Wrote:Making any kind of demand in private comms with out having had visual or scanner contact is just Lame game play.

Quote:6.10 Player reputation and conduct must match player actions.

Basically this.
He hasn't seen you, so therefore knowing who you are is based upon your Name
(which is Oorp, since nobody would announce the stuff which is in front of the name, in some cases it even gives detailed information about the affiliation and type.
For example [RHA]RHT-name reveals the affiliation Hessians and the Shiptype Transport.)
and upon the Player-List, which is also Oorp, since nobody does have a sirius-wide scanner.

Threatening you via PM therefore is metagaming and sanctionable via 6.10.

Regards,
Talesin
Nah. This guy wasn't in the same system at all. I often get pms from people asking for handouts. Sometimes I respond. Sometimes I don't. Sometimes I make them RP with me to earn it. I've never had anyone threaten me with a bounty report though. He was a lower level so I wasn't too concerned about him beating me up in-game (not to mention he was no where near to begin with). He claimed to be a Corsair and was barely making sense (maybe his character was just crazy?) I just figured him a troll, gave him some money with a little RP jab, and then he said he would do the bounty anyway for my remark.

It just got me wondering if people did this often (and actually followed through with it) and I just wasn't aware of it until today.
This sounds.. hilarious! My advice OoRP is no need to pay, itl probs all be k, but I dont share everyone's exceedingly dim view of this "demand", seems like some funny RP.

That rhienland guy was just a douche though!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6