Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Missiles, are they affected by your lag or loss?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello, I've heard that missiles are affected by lag, and I'm wondering wether to use them, so could some please tell me; are missiles affected by;

Your lag?
Your loss?
Your target's lag?
Your target's loss?

Or a combination?

Thanks
All of the above, and it's also affected by server load.

Which means, that like CDs, when the server's population is high, they will track less well. However, missiles can be utterly devastating and are a bit overpowered(especially gunboat missiles) when there are 50 people or so online.

I've been in a situation where a gunboat just flew in circles doing nothing but holding down the missile button and firing them forwards, but they'd turn around and hit me, while I was flying on his tail and using countermeasures.
Yep they are affected by those things. When the server is full and even though the lag isn't that bad, it will still take them 1 - 2 seconds to appear on the screen after you pressed fire, and they will be very unlikely to hit anyway since they almost doesn't track at all.
The only missiles that might hit a fighter/bomber target are gunboat missiles.
Wow all of them? I guess missiles are out for me then

Thanks guys
' Wrote:Wow all of them? I guess missiles are out for me then

Thanks guys
No problem. I wouldn't entirely throw missiles out though - they can be useful in duels, as most missiles can sometimes hit even with high server load... so long as your target is jousting you. Putting a missile on your fighter in a duel massively increases the threat level of your ship, as it has a much greater damage capacity, but, there is a downside.

In group fights, missiles are utterly worthless, unless you're in a gunboat or the server's got 50 people in it.

In these situations, the missile takes up a gun slot, and as a result, it can turn into a liability.
' Wrote:In these situations, the missile takes up a gun slot, and as a result, it can turn into a liability.
Sabres have an extra slot compared to other fighters
Against fighters, missiles are less then effective with a server under load, unless you launch them headon when someone is jousting you. They'll hit fine then.
Capital ship missiles (cruiser and battleship) track well enough to hit gunboats if you know when to launch them. They are devestating in that role, but eat energy...
With current server load lag cripples them. But without any server load a 6 missile fighter is a born winner in a jousting match.
' Wrote:With current server load lag cripples them. But without any server load a 6 missile fighter is a born winner in a jousting match.
Have you ever had 6 missiles blown up in your face by a CD? It's a double-edged sword
I'm quite certain it's mostly just server load (which you can't see), so you have to guess by the number of people on and the way NPCs behave.

At the moment you fire a missile, your computer stops calculating it's path/damage done and server takes over.

With guns it looks like your side just sends info to the server when you hit what's on your screen and server only re-checks that one.

So when server load is high, gun hits will mostly still work (cause the crossing of paths is calculated client-side), while missiles first need to be handed from you to the server then server needs to hit the position that the enemy is reporting to the server with it.
Pages: 1 2