Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Shire and Akegata
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Shire and Akegata

After the first look the both ships looks identical.
Same price/cargo/guns/power-core.
But Akegata have only 8 guns that fire in all directions the other 4 are with nerfed arcs, two of them fire only back and the other two have the most annoying arc from all disco ships, the same as the slot 6 RM Gunship-350° ones- so they are useless since they turn most of the time in order to track, don't shoot and hit nothing.
Since both ships have identical stats why the Kusari variation is so nerfed?
I would agree if the Kusari one have 200k armour for example or turns faster but as from I can see in-game both ships have similar handling.
The factors you mentioned aren't the only ones that matter - compare the size as well.
The Shire model is just somewhat larger, but the hitbox makes it much larger.

Akegata has a fitting custom hitbox. Shire has a cylinder covering lots of empty space.

For comparison, you know how a shield bubble is always quite larger than the actual hitbox?
Well, the Shire hitbox size is comparable to the Akegata shield bubble.

That hitbox seems like something that should be fixed for the next version, I'll try to point it out.
(Akegata hardpoints could also need fixing, if they turn around needlessly)

[Image: th_Akegata_Shire.png]
(click for a larger image)
Thank you for the fast informative replay. I hope you will do it good as always.
' Wrote:The factors you mentioned aren't the only ones that matter - compare the size as well.
The Shire model is just somewhat larger, but the hitbox makes it much larger.

Akegata has a fitting custom hitbox. Shire has a cylinder covering lots of empty space.

For comparison, you know how a shield bubble is always quite larger than the actual hitbox?
Well, the Shire hitbox size is comparable to the Akegata shield bubble.
Shieldbubbles aren't always larger then the actual hitbox. If the hitbox is surspliced it's hit surface is equal to the shield surface. We try to do that for transports, gunboats and capital ships, but not all ships have been made with such a hitbox. Since the issues you report affect balance one of the admins will have to authorise the change, if one is needed. Fixing the Shire hitbox and Akegata turret tracking arcs isn't a lot of work, so it could be done for 4.86.
Doleo:
OK, the word "always" was wrong there, sorry about that. This is the case with Akegata, though, so that is irrelevant in the current discussion. It was just an example for the size comparison.
Edit: Oh, I meant "shield bubble" as the bubble that shows in HardCMP. I know that the hull hitbox is used for shield hits on transports and above.

Admins don't really need to authorise a balance change. They never did, why would they start now?
(Devs in the Balance department on the other hand, that's something else)
Another contributing factor is how susceptible to cruise disruptor's the transport is for the Shire any cruise disruptor stops it dead in its tracks whereas the Akegata I am not to sure however I think its only affected by TCD.
I would go for Akegata anyway because I can't stand NPCs
Akegata can fire 8 turrets to each side. Shire can only fire 6 to the side. But yes Shire can fire 12 forward/back, while Akegata 10 forward and 9 (one of the rest will always be turning) back.
Working as designed then. Sorry folks, no fix needed:)

And : You're right, it's the lead devs, not the admins, that do balancing. My bad.
I can testify that the Akegata is able to be stopped by all NPC CDs. I flew that mini cruiser for quite a long time. It's a nice ship and can take down gunboats. Most of the fight isn't at the front of teh transport, it's at it's rear and sides. It had proven so succesful that I had to switch out since it became boring with no enemies wanting to go near me since there were easier targets elsewhere.