Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: January 13
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
To start with, I cincerly respect this post written by aerlem, but I think this topic doesn't count as one. Anyway just for the sake of expressing my graditude for putting this in a verbal form, I'll quote it.

' Wrote:You know, Even though I don't personally believe in the line below, but some do, and I believe that is why we're trying to keep these type of events and debates out of this community:

- People come here to play this game from all over the world. I'm not speaking about any certain event, but most of dates which remind a certain nation of 'Heroic acts of Patriotism', mean nothing more than 'celebrating slaughter and murder' to another, who happened to be on the wrong end of the gun at the time of the original event.

Now keep in mind that I'm not referring to any specific event or date, and not pointing out any nation - as a matter of fact, I don't disagree these types of events even if my country would've been the one pointed a gun at during the time. But after all, this community exists of numerous view points, and it's better if we just keep it as a game with not much references to our real life stuff, rather than turning it into a 'Memorial of present day, 1000 years in a fictional future'.

At January 13, our nation stood for it's freedom agianst collapsing soviet union. After declaration of independence, and signition of it by Lithuanias Council of liberation movment, soviet union forces tried to cease such acts. First by economic blocade, later with use of force which led to 1991 January 13

People gathered around TV tower and nowday parliament as a human wall to prevent soldiers from moving in and taking control of TV tower (which could be used to translate news about current state of Lithuania to the rest of europe) and parliament where the council meeting took place.

Durning that grave night 14 Lithuanians died. Over 300 were injured. I'm deeply greateful for those who stood bravely with songs and flags against soviet tanks and for those soldiers who refused to fallow the given orders by current soviet goverment.

While some dates are history, this one took time at 1991 so it's living history and a lot of people are still scarred since then.

For me, it's a day then you remember to honor those who paid the ultimate price. For values I and many other believe. And not give it up even against the grim odds.

R.I.P

Disclaimer: some material might look too rough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2SvhDY23So

People pushing tank with mare hands from a victim under the wheels

Ok, I want to be clear here. I am a historian, and an educator, and I am a firm believer in thoughtful discussion of all topics. I do not believe that any topic in history or politics should be off limit from discussion.

That being said, there is a proper time and place for these discussions. There are a huge number of venues out there for this and really any other type of debate. I am sure there are thousands and thousands of other people out there having these debates. It is one of the benefits of the internet. There are many many many many places for these discussions. This is not one of them. This is a video game forum. People don't come here to get into political, national, economic, or any other type of debate, unless it is in how they relate to the video game.

I don't like stopping honest discussion, but long experience here lets me know that it wont be honest discussion for long. One of the reasons video game forums are not a proper venue for political and historic discussions.