Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Marsflyer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I know I may be cursed and shunned for this, but whatever.

I've been testing the Marsflyer for a few days, and its REALLY REALLY bad against a lot of things. Its no better than a normal fighter without torpedoes.

I've fought a battleship that I had a chance of beating in an Eagle, but in a Marsflyer, non what-so-ever. I've fought a fighter, won, but by better flying not weaponry.

I say that the Marsflyer needs a torpedo mount. Its weapons are no longer super-powered, and it would be just as good as any other fighter without much of an advantage over any of the others.

Igiss, I guess this goes to you after a bunch of people voice their opinions, and I defend mine.
Id say leave it as it is its not all fighters that must have a torp mount
im doing fine against BS without trouble just get used to not haveing NOVA'S
Virus,Jan 15 2006, 07:58 AM Wrote:I know I may be cursed and shunned for this, but whatever.
I've been testing the Marsflyer for a few days, and its REALLY REALLY bad against a lot of things. Its no better than a normal fighter without torpedoes.
[snapback]10037[/snapback]
I agree with you Virus. The Marsflyer was overpowered to begin with, but now it's underpowered. I mentioned this to Igiss soon after 4.78.2. The weapons and/or power need a boost, but not to the original levels. It would be good if the side turrets could be reinstated as shield-strippers.
I haven't had any problems with the flyer, although it lags alot when u fly it, but ive taken down everything from BS's to fighters easy, not to mention it has the best thruster and sheild in the game for fighters.
Angel,Jan 15 2006, 05:22 PM Wrote:I haven't had any problems with the flyer, although it lags alot when u fly it, but ive taken down everything from BS's to fighters easy, not to mention it has the best thruster and sheild in the game for fighters.
[snapback]10072[/snapback]
Try duelling against a good fighter pilot with something like a fully loaded Eagle - the Marsflyer will really struggle. I found this against Lancer. Against npcs it's ok, but still not as good as a normal fighter.

I thought for a while it might have been better to cut back on the flyers agility rather than damage, but the problem with that is that weapons can be mounted on other ships. Apart from that I quite like the idea of a small ship with big firepower against cap ships but no agility to take on fighters, kind of like a pocket battleship.
daedalus Wrote:Try duelling against a good fighter pilot with something like a fully loaded Eagle - the Marsflyer will really struggle. I found this against Lancer. Against npcs it's ok, but still not as good as a normal fighter.

I agree with you there. Its fine for dispatching enemy NPCs, but players in anything are a lot more of a challenge than they should be.

daedalus Wrote:Apart from that I quite like the idea of a small ship with big firepower against cap ships but no agility to take on fighters, kind of like a pocket battleship.

That's not that bad of an idea. But it would need enough agility to have chance to beat a fighter. Maybe.... Slightly less than the original Titan's maneuvering.

EDIT: And I thought you of all people, deadalus, would be against this. :)
In a test the Marsflyer performed horribly against the Slipstream. In the test we began firing at the same time, with no movement. The conclusion was the destruction of the Marsflyer while the Slipstream had just under half health.

Slipstream was armed with 6 Chain Gun Wildfires, Marsflyer, standard weaponry. In another test, the Marsflyer was barely out flown be Lance in an Eagle. Whether is was piloting, or weaponry, it is unknown. Good job Lance.

If these aren't signs that the Marsflyer isn't strong enough, I don't know what is. The guns definately need some more power(not as much as before, though), and the torp mount, reinstalled.
Virus,Jan 16 2006, 12:15 AM Wrote:If these aren't signs that the Marsflyer isn't strong enough, I don't know what is. The guns definately need some more power(not as much as before, though), and the torp mount, reinstalled.
[snapback]10101[/snapback]
I don't think it ever had a torp mount but you know I'd hate to disagree with you Virus ;)
Sounds like a good test, good job.
Another test against a fully armed, and armored Bretonian Battleship. It took me four lives to destroy it instead of the usual two with torpedoes and guns. The shield, also didn't drop nearly as fast as four codename weapons and two Tizona Del Cids would have done.

In my next set of data, I will be placing the difference between all the Marsflyer guns and a Saber(forward firing turret) with Four WILDFIREs and two Tizona Del Cids.

And, is there a way I could find the original Marsflyer? I would like to see what it had.
This is a comparison between the Marsflyer and a fully loaded Saber. :)

Marsflyer

Gun/Turret Mounts - 5/2
Armor - 16,200
Shield Strength - 12038
Weapon Mounts - 5x Class 10 Gun, 2x Class 10 Turret
Additional Equipment - M, CM

Stem 1:
300 Hull/150 Shield
8.00 Refire
Per second: 2,400 Hull/1,200 Shield

Stem 2:
125 Hull/62 Shield
40.00 Refire
Per second: 5,000 Hull/2,480 Shield

Stem 3:
125 Hull/62 Shield
20.00 Refire
Per second: 2,500 Hull/1240 Shield

Stem 4:
125 Hull/62 Shield
13.33 Refire
Per second: 1,666.25 Hull/826.46 Shield

Stem 5:
125 Hull/62 Shield
10.00 Refire
Per second: 1,250 Hull/ 620 Shield

2x Side Turrets:
1,800 Hull/ 900 Shield
2.00 Refire
Per second: 3,600 Hull/ 1,800 Shield (individually)
Per second: 7,200 Hull/ 3,600Shield (combined)

Total Per Second: 20,016.25 Hull/9966.46 Shield (If everything hits for a WHOLE second)

Saber:

Gun/Turret Mounts - 6/1
Armor - 10,800
Shield Strength - 11,038 (Adv. Champion H.F. Shield)
Weapon Mounts - 2x Class 9 Gun, 4x Class 10 Gun, 1x Class 10 Forward-Firing Turret.
Additional Equipment - M, CM, CD/T

2x Tizona Del Cid:
40 Hull/1,242 Shield
4.00 Refire
Per Second: 160 Hull/4,968 Shield (individual)
Per Second: 320 Hull/9,936 Shield (combined)

4x WILD FIRE:
1,445 Hull/ 722 Shield
2.00 Refire
Per Second: 2,890 Hull/1,444 Shield (individual)
Per Second: 11,560 Hull/5,776 Shield (combined)

Kraken Turret: (Forward Firing)
38 Hull/190 Shield
4.00 Refire
Per Second: 152 Hull/176 Shield

Total Per Second: 12,032 Hull/15,888 Shield

Side by side:
Data_______________________Marsflyer_________________________Saber
Total Per Second - - - - - - - - - 20,016.25 Hull/9966.46 Shield - - - - - - 12,032 Hull/15,888 Shield
Shielding - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 12,038 Shield - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 11,038 Shield

Those are the major points that need comparison.

If you notice, the Marsflyer does have more hull damage, but most of that is lost in space, and the amount of hull damage doesn't matter if you can't get though the shields. Since 75% of a Chain Guns weapon fire flies uselessly off into space, I think that the damage per second should be AT LEAST 160% of a codename weapon. That's 1.6 times the damage per second.

Also, I don't see it being fair if a HEAVY FIGHTER has no torp mount, but is no better than a Saber. Isn't this supposed to be balanced.

I hope I see some support from Igiss now that I've done all this work. I spent 2 hours collecting data and doing the math, then formatting it. D:
Pages: 1 2 3