Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Game Factions versus Player Factions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can anyone help me:

Say I decide I fancy playing a BAF officer in a bomber as one of my characters, do I need to join the BAF player faction or can I just do it through the game faction? If I join the Player faction I obviously need to fit in with their rules and ranks etc. If I just play as if in the game faction I don't. Is it my choice or am I missing something?

Sorry if it's a strange question, but I'm new!

Nope, you don't have to join the official faction. You can fly as an independent pilot, or indie. You can do pretty much same things they do, so...no problem. But for some reason indies are less respected than official factions members >_<
' Wrote:Nope, you don't have to join the official faction. You can fly as an independent pilot, or indie. You can do pretty much same things they do, so...no problem. But for some reason indies are less respected than official factions members >_<
Because the majority of indies give them a bad reputation in general. Not saying that indies are wrong or evil or anything but a lot of them could either benefit from the guidance of the official faction or are just generally stupid, which unfortunately reflects badly on the rest of them.
You are welcome to play as a BAF "Indy"

You are certainly also welcome to join the BAF official faction. Recruitment link in my signature.

Actually, I wouldn't care if you did both. Some players have Indy and Official Faction characters.
Thanks for the replies chaps, very helpful!

The reason I didn't go straight to the player faction is because I'm pretty new to this and wanted to find my feet first. As soon as I'm sure I can shoot straight I'll get in touch about joining your faction Mr Schprokets, sir! :)
Player factions FTW. Join and learn.
well if you go BAF try to avoid dublin cos when i had a baf char "offical" baf tended to shot me just for being there or bring a whole fleet to scan me then acciedently fire....yes i have lost all respect for "offical" baf well apart from afew of them, ps dont get a bomber neverly every baf char i meet is a bomber and the rest are normaly capitals
Yikes, have a grudge or something Ash? This isn't BAF feedback.

The reason that the player factions are much more respected than the indies is that when in a player faction, you have a group of players to answer to for your actions, so anything you do that isn't quite kosher (yet still within server rules), you'll hear about it immediately as there is a more experienced command structure over your head. This isn't for everyone but it weeds out the weak so to say.

The threat of the embarrassment of dismissal from said faction is a great deterrent to stupidity.

quick edit: Of course it's nice to have a character or two or more just to fly around on and not have a developed backstory for, we all have them.
Indie chars have more freedom regarding capital ship usage and they are only bound to the community regulations, they are flexible with faction regulations even if the official factions have RP application rights over them.

In return, faction players are more organized generally and you can find many players in "similar tune" to your needs and get an on going RP and group fun pretty fast.

Both have goods and bads.

The reason why indie players are not regarded too well is not because of them individually but because of the general "Daio 2mil" and "Engabulb" indies who are a majority.

Indies are not like that seperately but when you sum them all and take an average, that is the outcome, sadly.

Factions can be seen as a bit harsh in certain rules of theirs in return. Depends on your character to be sincere. I always found faction membership to be much more fun and I am in 2 factions for 2 years now.
My humble opinion is simpe. Joining the player faction is the best choice if you are new to Discovery Freelancer. They are actually newbie-friendly and will give you a descent amount of basic roleplay from the very beginning, so there will be no need to "entertain yourself" in any way.

Membersip in a faction usually includes freelancer (ingame), forumlancer (communication channels and message dumps) and rulelancer (because the people are interested in making you understand every rule) - in other words, three whales the whole community is built upon. So go for it.

Well, the player fakshuns are joy.
Pages: 1 2