Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The Internet is on pause in a sense
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Yup, today in my lecture my lecturer brought up something that could shake up the internet and even effect the economy.

The amount of IPv4 addresses (this morning) was around 2 million, now that I look at the twitter again, its down to 0. That means no more unique ID's for us on the internet, no more public IP's.

Twitter link

What does this mean?

ISP's give out IP's to people who wish to connect to the internet, that means your router uses this IP to let you use the Internet. Without a unique IP, you cannot connect to the world, imagine it. No more new users and the possibility of IP rationing or sharing just to get online all over the world.

BT saw it coming and prepared a stopgap of allowing the BT Home Hubs Openzone, where you can allocate your bandwidth to share with the people you want I think.

All in all folks, DO NOT LET YOUR ROUTERS POWER DOWN! Just in case. While I think its a fair bit of scaremongering right now, I'm not taking chances. I'm keeping my electricity bill topped up and leaving my router powered up. At least until IPv6 is online.

I think it'll be a LONG time before IPv6 comes on, you need EVERY ISP in the world to use it, and you need compatible systems, though Windows already supports it.

Thoughts folks?
You're overreacting, I think.
Could be, though there was a two hour debate on it in class. Imagine wall street not being able to connect, everything capitalism wise these days relies on the immediate communication of the Internet.

The worst case scenario is there could be another economy crash because of the communication disruption. Worst case.
o_O

Might this have anything to do with skype not working?

<_<

>_>

Cause Its not working for me.
Every ISP would have reserved the IP's used in their Dynamic IP systems.
At least, as far as I can tell.

We've known this was gonna happen since it was made, do you really think noone's prepared for it?

'noone' being yours, mine, ours, everyone's ISP.
rofl - How old are you Fletcher that you get fooled this way?:D
Aye, I'm praying I've got a static IP, I'm trying to find the information about it. They've seen this coming for a number of years, now they're trying to go from 32 bit addressing to 128bit... thats a CRAP load of new addresses.

And I'm 21, and whats to fool? Dynamic IP users are at most risk I think, some ISP don't know how many utilize it because of the amount of users.

Think, 50 addresses to 50 customers. Thats fine.
What if it was 50 addresses to 60 customers? How is that going to work?
Uh. Nothing really. The fact that we've "run" out of IPv4 addresses doesn't really mean anything (not yet, at least). I think you're quite simply overreacting. There are more IP adresses, the only thing that happened today was that the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) handed out the last of their 256 /8 blocks. Even if we have run out of IP addresses you'll still be able to connect trough NAT.
' Wrote:Uh. Nothing really. The fact that we've "run" out of IPv4 addresses doesn't really mean anything (not yet, at least). I think you're quite simply overreacting. There are more IP adresses, the only thing that happened today was that the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) handed out the last of their 256 /8 blocks. Even if we have run out of IP addresses you'll still be able to connect trough NAT.
Is that what the BT Openzone is?
1: I'm 16 and WTF does this mean

2: What about us who need to reset our router every month cause it hiccups?

3: If we run out of IPs, just make a program to add numbers onto it, duh. There, you suddenly have millions of more IPs
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5