Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Just bought a new rig in pieces!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Intel Core i5 2500K
1GB MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II/OC
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4, Intel P67
8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3
Gelid Tranquillo - good for a clock!!
1TB Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3
60GB OCZ Technology Vertex 2E, 2.5"
Samsung SH-S223C/BEBE 22x DVD±R, 12
650W Antec TruePower New, Modular
Antec 100 One Hundred, Black Mid Tower

Miles better than what I had before (a Core 2 Duo laptop)

And yes, I will be playing games other than Freelancer. I've yet to play Mass Effect 2, and I have a temporary hold on a DA:O Complete playthrough.

Also, will not be playing FL because the disc is at my parent's house, and I'm at University.:D

Safe flying!!

Tathrim
' Wrote:temporary hold on a DA:O Complete playthrough.

Also, will not be playing FL because the disc is at my parent's house, and I'm at University.:D

Safe flying!!

Tathrim

You can legally download Freelancer for example from torrents when you have lagal copy.

Just sayin'

Seeing as you've bought a new socket 1155 motherboard, you should read these if you already haven't heard
about the SATA issue:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379241,00.asp
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379155,00.asp

Shouldn't be a problem seeing as you're only using two hard drives (plug in both on the 6gb/s ports), but keep it
in mind for the future. I have to say, you didn't exactly choose the best time to buy a new Intel-powered PC.

EDIT: Actually, it is a problem, as you're using three SATA ports, not two - Just realized that you of course had a DVD R/W drive >.>
' Wrote:1TB Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3
Return it if possible and buy :
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM
check the reviews in the net,Spinpoints are bad HDDs.

' Wrote:650W Antec TruePower New, Modular
You are pushing the limits with this PSU. I would go minimal 700W or 750W since the maximum picks of the said system will be around ~610- 620W but if you dont OC it should be ok. For OC for sure better PSU.
The rest looks fine for me. If you need to fix the FL CD problem you can PM me too, mind that according to the copyright law since you bought your copy you have the right to copy it and use it on second PC if you will be the only user.
He's not pushing the limits of anything with that PSU, really - That system shouldn't consume more than about 450W or so at full tilt,
and that's a quality PSU. Not a problem, really. Might not be future-proof if he wants to install a second 570, but it's more than plenty for that setup.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-su...-650w-review/5/
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cases/dis...-wattage_7.html
' Wrote:You can legally download Freelancer for example from torrents when you have lagal copy.

Just sayin'

Yuk, torrents are most likely to be evil things unless you use official sources for ISOs from Ubuntu, etc. I'll pass, I should have it by the time this thing is built. Also, there's a legaity issue in the UK about extra copies to waorry about, it isn't so cut and dry. :nono:

' Wrote:Seeing as you've bought a new socket 1155 motherboard, you should read these if you already haven't heard
about the SATA issue:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379241,00.asp
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379155,00.asp

Shouldn't be a problem seeing as you're only using two hard drives (plug in both on the 6gb/s ports), but keep it
in mind for the future. I have to say, you didn't exactly choose the best time to buy a new Intel-powered PC.

EDIT: Actually, it is a problem, as you're using three SATA ports, not two - Just realized that you of course had a DVD R/W drive >.>

I'm in the UK, so I ordered from Scan.co.uk, and they've said I can RMA the board when the silicon fix becomes available at no extra cost. And, as I'm a Uni student, April co-incides with the Easter break, where I will have a LGA1366 rig at my disposal that my parents have, so interruts to avaialbe computing on this rig would be similar anyway. :yahoo:

' Wrote:Return it if possible and buy :
check the reviews in the net,Spinpoints are bad HDDs.
You are pushing the limits with this PSU. I would go minimal 700W or 750W since the maximum picks of the said system will be around ~610- 620W but if you dont OC it should be ok. For OC for sure better PSU.
The rest looks fine for me. If you need to fix the FL CD problem you can PM me too, mind that according to the copyright law since you bought your copy you have the right to copy it and use it on second PC if you will be the only user.

Whilst ethically correct, in the UK that isn't actually the case, I can still get arrested for pirating an additional copy until the game isn't available for retail anymore. :nono:

Also, Error is correct, I'm not using all of the PSU. Ill be fine even with two 570's in SLI on that PSU, and I only have a 560 (albeit a very good one).

Also, I've GOT to have this now, as doing a CS course with a dead machine and faulty 24 hour access to labs isn't great.
' Wrote:I'm in the UK, so I ordered from Scan.co.uk, and they've said I can RMA the board when the silicon fix becomes available at no extra cost.
Yeah, presumed that you'd got an offer like that, really - Just wanted to be sure that you knew about it.
' Wrote:Intel Core i5 2500K

I still don't have an idea why people still flock to intel. I got a AMD 965 Black for $169 last year. Only hear speculation and outdated information about the pros and cons of both. Companies

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...3-727-_-Product

' Wrote:Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4, Intel P67
Eww.

' Wrote:Return it if possible and buy :

Should have been common sense honestly. Matter of a fact I take that back. Maybe he got pulled around by the "reviews" where he got it from.
Got two of them in my rig right now. Might cop me a third soon.

' Wrote:Yuk, torrents are most likely to be evil things unless you use official sources for ISOs from Ubuntu, etc. I'll pass, I should have it by the time this thing is built. Also, there's a legaity issue in the UK about extra copies to waorry about, it isn't so cut and dry. :nono:Whilst ethically correct, in the UK that isn't actually the case, I can still get arrested for pirating an additional copy until the game isn't available for retail anymore. :nono:
I'm assuming **** is WAY tighter in the UK to not even attempt to download it. I normally don't get a request for a cease and desist to often and that's months of downloading EVERYTHING. There's probably a good chance they won't chase you down for DL what 750 mbs of some outdated game?

' Wrote:EDIT: Actually, it is a problem, as you're using three SATA ports, not two - Just realized that you of course had a DVD R/W drive >.>

And some part of the casing may use a USB port as well.
' Wrote:And some part of the casing may use a USB port as well.
What are you talking about? The front ports on the chassis? The issue was with the 3GB/s SATA ports on every Socket 1155 motherboard (so far), not the USB headers.
Did you even look at the article(s)?
' Wrote:I still don't have an idea why people still flock to intel. I got a AMD 965 Black for $169 last year. Only hear speculation and outdated information about the pros and cons of both. Companies

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...3-727-_-Product

Why do I still flock to Intel? because the price/performance of the new Intel chips are far superior, and Bulldozer (whcih I would have considered if my laptop has lasted longer) isn't out for another 6 months.

' Wrote:Eww.

How so? The reviews are good. I realise they've ported their BIOS and added in 3TB support, but that's a good thing - it means they're biding their time to create a better EFI experience that's more mature and gives the options of an exsisting BIOS. It's not a bad board, and gives better SLI support. I've done my homework.

' Wrote:Should have been common sense honestly. Matter of a fact I take that back. Maybe he got pulled around by the "reviews" where he got it from.

It's called looking at review sites and making an educated guess. Why does it matter to you about where I get my research from? there are SEVERAL sites out there, and posted on two independent communities and they didn't challenge the HDD, and suggested the GB motherboard, so why change? Plus, the Western digital drive is more expensive for not that much more performance, esp. as I'll be using an SSD for my central Win7 partition/boot

' Wrote:I'm assuming **** is WAY tighter in the UK to not even attempt to download it. I normally don't get a request for a cease and desist to often and that's months of downloading EVERYTHING. There's probably a good chance they won't chase you down for DL what 750 mbs of some outdated game?

It's not just the law, it's the risk of viruses, whcih is why i only use torrents for officially sourced ISOs, and even then only when the connection I have available to me is sluggish (HTTP is more than enough on a 100Mbit Uni connection). Plus, I like having my machines virus free. My brother is bringing the disc up with him when he visits, so it'll be here by the time the thing's built because it's now delayed until Friday.

' Wrote:And some part of the casing may use a USB port as well.

As Error pointed out, I am only using three SATA ports, and it's a 3 year deradation on 5% of the old stock. The USB controller is a different part of the chipset, and is unaffected by the faults.
Pages: 1 2