Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Computer halp please.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I'm looking at a Desktop rig. I have a quote from www.scan.co.uk for this kind of rig;

1 MSI P67A-C45, Intel P67 Express , SATA 3Gb/s, RAID
1 Intel Core i7 2600K "Unlocked" 3.4Ghz Quad Core, 8Mb Cache, Hyperthreading
1 2nd Generation Intel® Core'„¢ Sandy Bridge CPU professionally overclocked by our 3XS engineers to 4Ghz
1 Gelid Tranquillo,4 Heatpipe + PWM, Silent 120 Fan
1 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair XMS3 Classic DDR3 1600Mhz 1.5v
1 1Gb EVGA GTX 460 SC, 763Mhz GPU 336 Cores, 3800Mhz GDDR5
1 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3, 7200rpm, 32MB Cache
1 *Sata 6GB/s Hard Drive Not Required*
1 *Solid State Drive Not Required*
1 *Storage Hard Drive Not Required*
1 Corsair 600W Integration PSU - 80Plus
1 Sharkoon 4" UV CCFL 2in1 Kit
1 Standard 3XS System Warranty - 2 Years (1st Year Onsite / 2nd Year Return to Base)
1 3XS System Collection - Collect in person from our shop.

Now, I have two questions.

Is this rig good (CPU-wise)/compatible? I'm looking for one of the current top processors as by the time that's lifetime is over I intend to buy a new rig. GPU and RAM can be upgraded later (Thank god for PCI-E boards, still on an AGP one just now...)

They quoted me £803.95, but if I buy the parts and build it myself I can get it for £659.95. Would I be better off doing it myself or letting the professionals handle it? (I've changed parts inside a PC before and understand what all the tutorials are getting on bout, but should I do it and if so, what precautions should I take?
' Wrote:So I'm looking at a Desktop rig. I have a quote from www.scan.co.uk for this kind of rig;

1 MSI P67A-C45, Intel P67 Express , SATA 3Gb/s, RAID
1 Intel Core i7 2600K "Unlocked" 3.4Ghz Quad Core, 8Mb Cache, Hyperthreading
1 2nd Generation Intel® Core'„¢ Sandy Bridge CPU professionally overclocked by our 3XS engineers to 4Ghz
1 Gelid Tranquillo,4 Heatpipe + PWM, Silent 120 Fan
1 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair XMS3 Classic DDR3 1600Mhz 1.5v
1 1Gb EVGA GTX 460 SC, 763Mhz GPU 336 Cores, 3800Mhz GDDR5
1 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3, 7200rpm, 32MB Cache
1 *Sata 6GB/s Hard Drive Not Required*
1 *Solid State Drive Not Required*
1 *Storage Hard Drive Not Required*
1 Corsair 600W Integration PSU - 80Plus
1 Sharkoon 4" UV CCFL 2in1 Kit
1 Standard 3XS System Warranty - 2 Years (1st Year Onsite / 2nd Year Return to Base)
1 3XS System Collection - Collect in person from our shop.

Now, I have two questions.

Is this rig good (CPU-wise)/compatible? I'm looking for one of the current top processors as by the time that's lifetime is over I intend to buy a new rig. GPU and RAM can be upgraded later (Thank god for PCI-E boards, still on an AGP one just now...)

They quoted me £803.95, but if I buy the parts and build it myself I can get it for £659.95. Would I be better off doing it myself or letting the professionals handle it? (I've changed parts inside a PC before and understand what all the tutorials are getting on bout, but should I do it and if so, what precautions should I take?

Sounds good to me.

If you can put it together yourself and you are confident that you can get it right the first time, by all means go for it.

However, you will not get the "Intel Core i7 2600K "Unlocked" 3.4Ghz Quad Core, 8Mb Cache, Hyperthreading, professionally overclocked by our 3XS engineers to 4Gh", which may actually be a GOOD thing, as overclocking a CPU leads to more heat and can cause stability problems with some operating systems.

Personally, I'd let them handle it. For the extra 134 pounds, you get a 3 year warranty, so if you get it home and something does go "ffftthththp!" and release blue smoke, they get to fix it for free.
Oh yes, and you get that extra 0.6Ghz, so you can brag about it. lol
' Wrote:Seeing as you've bought a new socket 1155 motherboard, you should read these if you already haven't heard
about the SATA issue:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379241,00.asp
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379155,00.asp

Shouldn't be a problem seeing as you're only using two hard drives (plug in both on the 6gb/s ports), but keep it
in mind for the future. I have to say, you didn't exactly choose the best time to buy a new Intel-powered PC.

Please read the above before you go buy a new Socket 1155 motherboard. You should really wait a month or so
if you have to have the newest and best from Intel.
I doubt I'll be getting it this month, or even next month. Got to get the money together first. And on the overclocking; my plan was to do it myself, but the three year warranty does interest me. They offer some sort of installing insurance that covers faults when installing it that lasts for twenty eight days.

Cheers.
' Wrote:I doubt I'll be getting it this month, or even next month. Got to get the money together first. And on the overclocking; my plan was to do it myself, but the three year warranty does interest me. They offer some sort of installing insurance that covers faults when installing it that lasts for twenty eight days.

Cheers.

About the overclocking..... don't do it yourself.

If you really must have that extra 0.6ghz of speed, let them do it.
If they screw it up, you don't have to to pay for a new CPU or any other bit that goes *bang* in the process.

Just my two cents on that subject.