Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Relationships between Indie and Official players
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Don't worry about official factions or "respect". Roleplay, kick up fuss, kick some ass, and have fun.

Official factions are only made up of people. They're no better than you, you're no better than them. All just different.

I like being an indie. Self-sufficiency is its own challenge.
' Wrote:Indie players are also many of the casual players, who wish to enjoy the game without the need to prove something to others. They wish to fly around in any ship and simply have fun for their own sake without being bound to odd non-server rules and regulations the official factions tend to make.

This is sooo very true. I have been In a few factions. Have run 2 factions,but in the end i prefer being an Indie. Out of my 31 char's only 2 are in Oficial factions,and i enjoy those less then the indies.

' Wrote:Players in factions have proved they have some RP ability. You never know with indies. Some are great, some are bad.

This is very not true. I been in many factions where they just take in players. No proving what they can do,or how they RP. I have even seen a brand new member given permission to use caps cause they are buds with someone high up.

The thing with most "Official" factions is they do not like you if you do not follow their RP. Some have even been punished in the past. Both Official,and Indie for forcing RP on others,and not following vanila/faction RP.
It is a powder keg waiting to blow. Just try to keep the sparks down,and you should be ok.

Now a rep is not always a good thing. Many of my chars have reps that Official factions dislike.(to bad i play my chars my way:crazy: ) I have 1 char that Official Factions dislike,but run to alot when they need it,and is loved by all the Indies,cause i come to their aid even when a bit overkill.(I like being helpful ingame).

All in All. Just play your way,and follow rules. If the Official factions do not like you,but you are following Vanila RP? Screw them. You cannot be sanctioned,or FR5'd for RP;n your way along the lines of Vanila Freelancer. Some will tell you differently,but over the 4 years i been here, i have never seen a person following Vanile RP,and rules punnished. Killed by an official yes,but not sanctioned.
' Wrote:No we can't open the white-box.

We don't need to.

I can not believe I am going to agree with ryokon, but you know what they say about the sun shining some times.

A character in a faction is in no way guaranteed to be a good RPer, what they do have though is a mediocre of accountability.
You can talk to their faction leader easily enough and discuss situation to find common ground.
This can be harder with indies but is still possible.

I like to think I treat every indy I come across as an individual and not just on the grounds of if he is in a faction.
His ingame rep, name and attitude are far greater indicators of if I am about to have troubles with him.

We can discuss this indy vs faction debate till we are blue in the face, but one thing I have come to learn is that people act as they choose and you will not change that.
If you are ignored by an official faction, the best thing you can do is ignore them back.
You don't need them to play and have fun.
' Wrote:You official faction players alway cry arownd that indies do stupid things that ruins your perfect RP enviroment
(ex. the 2mil or die thing or they kill transports in their caps or they raid liberty with ossies ect.). The question is, why when indies ask you to join you in something you do you always ignore them, how do you expect indies to learn while you ignore them so much?
P.S.: BAF official players are not to blame, they treat indies as equals unlike others

While I agree that there is a kind of silly tendency to treat casual gamers as lesser beings here, you gotta understand other people's desire to play without too much interference from people they have no interest in playing with.
Although I would say since official factions do have some additional powers and privileges, that means they should also pick up some responsibility in guiding and helping new people.

' Wrote:Well that basically summarized your intentions with this thread.
Commander-Yamakazi sees your conspiracy at work where ever you try.
You cannot escape his watchful eyes.
Yay factionlancer.

I think the issue is with the fact that you can count on your factionbuddies to (usually) be sensible. If I had to give a rough estimate I'd say that only goes for 40% or less of the indies.

I must say my completely literate yet somewhat akward OC indy has been getting a fair load of oppression for trying to have a sense of humour in the presence of self proclaimed god kings of all things outcast. I see your point.
ugh, I know this all to well. My favourite to-date was being blasted by a direct ally (as in, someone within my own lawful faction) for attacking a pair of nomad and outcast caps in a fighter. I mean there was never any risk of me winning against both, but this ally sided with their own enemy against myself and got other lawful allys to jump in because they were familiars to eachother. All the while myself following vanilla RP (and actually RPing it), whilst this ally was proclaiming they were a "special operative". In actuality, they really had the same ID and rights as me (whilst even having an inferior IFF).

To be honest, when faced with cliques like that, there isn't much you can do. That is, without //metagaming or reporting the pvp abuse, which sucks nads. Reporting people isn't fun for anyone and I'm sure most would rather avoid it.
' Wrote:ugh, I know this all to well. My favourite to-date was being blasted by a direct ally (as in, someone within my own lawful faction) for attacking a nomad and outcast cap in a fighter. I mean there was never any risk of me winning against both, but this ally sided got other lawful allys to jump in. All the while I was following vanilla RP, whilst my ally was proclaiming they were a "special operative". when they really had a normal ID.

To be honest when faced with groups of buddies like that, there isn't much you can do without //metagaming. which sucks.

Did you report him for oorp attack?
' Wrote:Did you report him for oorp attack?
no, I did not. Although I have archived the evidence should they pull another stunt like that again.

It was clearly against RP and PVP rules. But they weren't all lolwutting it, merely caught up with loyalties to friends etc.

Edit: Hell I was expecting to die anyways, it was just the arrogance that peeved me off (OurRP>yourRP leaving or dai!)
Shoulda reported it.

Chances they do the same to your char again are slim, chances they did or will do it again to another person are very high.
' Wrote:Indie players are also many of the casual players, who wish to enjoy the game without the need to prove something to others. They wish to fly around in any ship and simply have fun for their own sake without being bound to odd non-server rules and regulations the official factions tend to make.

Which more often than not results in poor RP, balance issues, and QQing when they get put out of their misery as a result of violating non-server rules.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7