Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Im feeling nostalgic.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Have you ever woken up one day, and wished you could relive some of the days from the past? Well, i woke up today, and felt exactly that. Nostalgia. Ive had too many good memories here. too many to not share.

I came to this community back in April 2007, even though I actually joined the forums in July. I was invited by a friend from my previous Counterstrike Source clan, who told me that Freelancer is a badass game. A bunch of other friends hopped onto the bandwagon and started to play on Discovery, but i didnt join, because the idea of freelancer back then did not appeal to me in any way shape or form. Then finally, once i had played every other game i had and gotten bored, I decided to give it a shot. I have to say, i was kicking myself for not playing Freelancer sooner.

We formed a group, Mining, PVPing, learning the game, basically enjoying every aspect discovery had to offer. We then came to a point where we decided to make a faction- Order one, surprise surprise. Some of you may remember "PA|", short for "Project Aerelon", since Aerelon was the name used for our CS:S clan, and we all had the imagination of the arsecheeks of a dazed donkey back then. We were still fairly new, and the disco vets at the time saw a new faction proposal, and Dustin in particular was keen to shoot down the idea of another official order faction, given that he led the Black Squadron back then, and they owned 100. So we worked out a deal and we were basically like what the... LNS are to the LN- the secondary fleet, minus the lolwut.

Then i made my first independant character. Frozenballz. merc. 2 minutes into the game, i get beamed to an outcast destroyer with admin shields and admin cannons telling me if i even think of moving i will be bitchslapped into oblivion with a sanction. That was when i first met Tony. He wanted to me to change the name, which i did, and that was when our friendship somewhat kicked off, and i got invited to join the novapg while the rest of my clan mates from CS:S got bored of freelancer and pretty much left. The only one who was still here playing with me was Tomtomrawr's dad, who i believe still randomly logs on the server time and again. Fun guy to play games with.

I was a horrible pilot back then, but im much worse now. either way, i practiced in fighters, it didnt do me any good, so i joined the Hellfire Legion when Tanktarget was leading the faction, and i joined with a liberty gunboat under my command. The HFGB-Mentu had -alot- of fun times, suffice to say. back then the LN was the SA, and the CR were the BSG led by warhammer. Those were... interesting times to say the least.

Then one day, i decided "Hey. trading sucks, i have 200 codenames on my bank, lets make some money", and that was the day codename sales became a valid (and extremely profitable) business in discovery. I made so much money off selling codenames that i didnt even have to go into openSP to test a battleship. another reason why i stacked up on spyglass scanners as well when they were available.

Then came the reign of the NovaPG and the Bushido. With the two factions working together, THAT was when i first met sina, and mike. Mike was much younger, had a high pitched squeal, and was a muppet, but that was a long time ago. now he's a 10 meter long ent with a voice deeper than and angry tiger, and while he still is a muppet, he's matured a bit. sina, well- i cannot stress how much fun i had with this guy when i first met him, and how much fun i have with him still. he came and went through discovery like it was a damn brothel and he was a repeat customer, but everytime he came back, it made it a more fun place for me

4.83 was the update dedicated to fighters with supernovas and uberly flown gunboats. 4.84 was the era of bombers and BHG gunships that were smaller than barghests, and had 6 missile turrets each. Proserpine's BHG gunship was fun. remember having a fight with kevin's necrosis in hamburg (back then it was a cap 8 oc dessie), vs my cap 8 gunship. it was so small i was sitting 300 meters and boxing all his shots while i killed him slowly. then 4.85 came out, and the general skill level of players started to increase. before me and terrance would go into NY with a bomber and a fighter and get 20 kills each. if i tried that now id die so fast that id probably not register i died and keep trying to "dodge". though, thankfully i cant say the same for terrance, another genuinely awesome person ive had the fortune of meeting on discovery.

with the release of 4.84, the community became much much much bigger, and the release of 4.85 was basically equivalent to a population explosion. not really a bad thing, but not necessarily a good thing either...

This update has been out for what.. nearly a year and a half? I have seen this place go from being a very warm and welcoming community of players playing a game to relax and enjoy, to becoming a very hateful place, full of spite and anger. What has happened to this place? why are people being as they are? why is trolling becoming more and more of a common occurence? i understand this is the internet, but seriously, does noone feel that being decent to one another is worth it anymore that you just argue and fight? I personally think its the attitude people have toward each other which is quite discouraging. Simlpy put, discovery is going nowhere. putting your conspiracy tin foil hats because you have nothing else to do is quite sad. ive seen random people and others i know only superficially trolling friends, ive seen friends trolling those random people back. i think its pretty clear that an eye for an eye makes nothing better, just keeps the same vicious cycle to repeat itself over and over. in order to change, one has to change themselves. Discovery is not going anywhere. its up to you guys to make this place a better one, stay here and enjoy and facilitate and spread the joy to others as well.

I know this goes against everything i say and do, but i think it must be said. furthermore, id also like to take this opportunity to apologize to anyone and everyone i offended in the past, regardless of who's fault it was. again, while this is the internet and i shouldnt really care, if i was to leave, id like to leave knowing i didnt leave with people pissed off at me.

In the end, i would like to furthermore take this opportunity to thank everyone i have had the chance to meet and greet, and become friends with, to play with, and even become a really close mate with. truly, thank you.

Mike. our gaming would never be the same without you- both in and around other games.

Terrance. What can i say man. Its been great knowing you mister albino. Im glad i met you when i did.

Yuri. You've helped me alot of 3ds max, and you host one of my favorite games' server. thanks for that mate.

Ench. Thanks for being there for me for the times when i really needed a friend. things have gotten quite out of hand at times, and you being there really helped.

Dusty. 8====D. i <3 you man, dont ever change.

Joe. I seriously dont know why you went from pot head to merchant banker in terms of looks, but i thank god you didnt change your personality. you're too awesome a person, and anyone who misses talking to you is missing out on life.

cannon. straight up, one of the coolest guys i have known here. he's the kind of guy who was prom king, but was still humble enough to befriend the nerds.:P

sina. SPICEY RICE!

the rest i missed out, it wasnt intentional. im at the library and my time is running out, i will add you later once i get home.

I really do sincerely hope that people take my words seriously and strive to help to make this place better, and id like to have high hopes, but... i know better. see if you can prove me wrong.
Nothing like some nostalgia about the good ol' days, eh?
That was a nice read.

I don't remember when people used to be nice to each other, maybe I joined too late.

There're still some nice people around here, you just have to distinguish them from piles of bad apples.
I promise I never will change (my underwear).
I never believed that disco can be something like this... I'm so sad I was a way too young back then... perhaps, I would seen sunrise of Discovery, which, I think was a beautiful scenery. :unsure:
You STILL owe me a platinum album.