Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Official Faction vs Non-official Players
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I understand there's official faction "rights" listed here. I don't have any issues with official factions having certain rights. Non-faction members are here to enjoy the game too.

I like to play here and enjoy the RP, but some seem to think the only way you can RP is if you know every single detail about official faction rules, laws, politics with other factions, etc. I'm not spending my life in the forums to learn everything a small number of people here to agree. If some official faction has an agreement with another official faction then its an agreement between those official factions.

Rule 6.10 prevents people from acting differently than their ID's reputation. Official factions cannot force a non-faction member to comply to some agreement that goes against this rule. An example might be an alliance between enemies to fight together against a common foe. Or an unlawful faction entering into an agreement with a lawful faction to protect traders. I've actually witnessed this personally in the past where an Outcast told me they would destroy my Molly for pirating a BMM vessel because of some agreement with the Bretonian Armed Forces.

Official Faction Right #2 is too broad and is creating some rules loopholes (which ironically the responsibilities of rule 2 specifically expresses they avoid).

While the official faction rules serve a good purpose for encouraging role play, they are giving the official factions way too much power over non-faction players. An official Molly faction should not be able to tell a Molly ID'd ship (not affiliated with the faction) that they cannot pirate BMM (or any other ship for that matter). An official Outcast faction should not threaten a Molly ID'd ship with death if they continue to pirate a BMM ship in the Molly's own system (Dublin).

This isn't just about Mollys. Just using this as an example because of a couple experiences I've had in Dublin. Keep in mind that under the "Responsibilities Associate with Right 2" specifically states that, "Official factions have a responsibility to incorporate willing and responsible 'independent' characters belonging to their NPC faction affiliation into the ordinary operations and activities taking place in the faction's territory as much as possible." Independent's must be willing to participate. You cannot sanction someone for acting according to their ID's reputation. Nor can any official faction punish you for doing precisely what Rule 6.10 requires.
As far as I see it, the rights are fine.

I mean, they can't impose their decision on you ruleswise, but they can take IRP actions, up to a certain extent.

An example you made: A molly faction can't forbid you to pirate BMM, but an OC can shoot you if you do, as per an agreement or such. I see no problems there.
Never was that big a fan of them. Created more fuss then needed. I named removing them as one of the top three things I'd change in Disco. The social impact these things created withing the community can be studied by experts for years. :yes:
Eh...

How to put this...

Officals and indies are no different. One just gas,certain rights, a fancy tag, and sometimes big egos.

Three or so people of each offical faction are the "leaders not just the player Faction, but the NPC faction.

Also, I dont see Mollys on the ally list of thwe Outcasts, so...yeah. (correct me if I'm wrong).

Offical factions (those who hold a higher rank than you. A [LN] Ensign,for example, imho,shouldnt have the right to order around an indie captain) have the right to order around THOSE AND ONLY THOSE in thier faction.

Now, this offical Outcast didnt order like a superior officer, he ordered like,"Fill the bag with money or else."

The Mollys might not care if you pirate BMM, but if the sniffers and baffies have an alliance/NAP/etc, they can hassle you with bounties and such.

-Jeremy

Considering the Outcast ID prevents them from "allying" with lawfuls, I think there is an issue with that example. The only RP reason for Outcasts to be in Bretonia is to fight the Corsairs that plague Dublin and Cambridge.
Quote:Offical factions (those who hold a higher rank than you. A [LN] Ensign,for example, imho,shouldnt have the right to order around an indie captain) have the right to order around THOSE AND ONLY THOSE in thier faction.

The Ensign doesnt, its just overlooked.

I believe the faction right says only the top ranking leader and 1 below him can order indies around.

Convienently Overlooked.

In Every Faction, In Every House.

Lovely, right?
' Wrote:The Ensign doesnt, its just overlooked.

I believe the faction right says only the top ranking leader and 1 below him can order indies around.

Convienently Overlooked.

Lovely, right?

Edit: said that, then realised I got ninja'd >_>
There's still some things I'd like to see changed about the faction rights. There have been some situations where factions have tried to use the rights on a large scale. I also recently saw a reputation adjustment notice where the requirements to have a rep changed were seemingly ignored by the admins... However, most of them seem perfectly justified and fair.

Convienently Overlooked.

Lovely, right?
Quote:RIGHT 2) Official factions have authority over players of the same NPC affiliation, as long as RP justification is provided. This authority applies in forums and in-game, and applies to player faction diplomacy, and strategic and tactical direction. However, exercise of that authority, on the forums and in game, is restricted to official faction members with the rank of the official faction leader and one rank below him/her. The authority may be exercised through the use of in-game in-RP orders, which, if not obeyed, can result in in-game in-RP consequences (arrest, court martial, and even "lethal" force in extreme circumstances). Official Factions cannot, under any cicrumstances, require another player to follow non-canon RP if that player doesn't want to.
I know. :/

' Wrote:An official Molly faction should not be able to tell a Molly ID'd ship (not affiliated with the faction) that they cannot pirate BMM (or any other ship for that matter). An official Outcast faction should not threaten a Molly ID'd ship with death if they continue to pirate a BMM ship in the Molly's own system (Dublin).
Quote:RIGHT 2) Official factions have authority over players of the same NPC affiliation, as long as RP justification is provided. This authority applies in forums and in-game, and applies to player faction diplomacy, and strategic and tactical direction. However, exercise of that authority, on the forums and in game, is restricted to official faction members with the rank of the official faction leader and one rank below him/her. The authority may be exercised through the use of in-game in-RP orders, which, if not obeyed, can result in in-game in-RP consequences (arrest, court martial, and even "lethal" force in extreme circumstances). Official Factions cannot, under any cicrumstances, require another player to follow non-canon RP if that player doesn't want to.
Neither situation is allowed under faction right #2.

To my knowledge, before that right topic was posted, there were no clear boundaries for faction control - now there is, so it's arguable whether it's given them any more control than they already had.

Convienently Overlooked.

Lovely, right?

Good, then really only people Colonel and above can.order me around in Order...

Oops, off topic.

Hope this clears this up Sirius Resistance.
Topic moved to a more appropriate section
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8