Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Musicians and their Tools
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone here was into recording themselves playing... their Instruments...

Ingoring that,

If you could share the:

Instrument/s you record with

The software used for recording

Any mixing tools or processes you use

Personally I use a Takamine D Acoustic/Electric and the Windows Vista Recorder. I just plug it in and press record and I can get myself a moderate to poor quality recording. I was wondering what other more tech savy people use.

If you like, please share.

Hello there! I suggest you to use anpther recording program.One like Sound Forge,or for multichannel recording you can use ACID,Vegas or Cubase.For improving the sound quality, you need a better sound card.My advice is to buy one.
I play a Cort KX 101 (To achieve the same sound get a guitar with a fixed bridge, Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge position and a Seymour Duncan 59 in the neck with a mahogany body...I just wanted to show off some specs...sorry) through a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone distortion pedal into a Marshall MG30DFX amp which is mic'd up to my computer's ESI Maya 44 sound card. I use Audacity to record. I don't use any computer based software to mix anything after it's recorded, everything's set up perfectly so it sounds studio quality right after it's recorded. ^^
Well, you probably alreayd know the first bit... I play drums and percussion of various types.

As for recording... It depends largely on what gear I've left at work, borrowed from work, or lent to people... But generally:

Mics: dependant on instrument, eg AKG D112 for kick drum, or a shure SM57 on a snare.

Other stuff: if I'm recording stuff at home, I'll normally run guitars and so on through a DI box rather than mic up the amp. I expect the reason you get a slightly scratchy sounding recording is partly due to the fact the signal coming from your guitar is 'unbalanced' (unless it has an inbuilt DI) and will need the overall amplitude of the signal to be within microphone range, for most things at least.

Input device: I have a crappy sound card on my desktop, so I use a little 8 channel mixing board which connects to my PC via firewire, and acts as an audio device. Essentially my sound card is my mixing board.

Software: Currently using Cubase 5, although I'd much rather be recording on Protools.

But I can explain more of this over skype if needs be.