Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: [Suggestion] Fighter missile turret
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Seeing as some gunboats have taken to putting missile launchers on aft firing turrets and using them to some degree of effectiveness - I thought, why not do the same for fighters, to put those accursed aft turrets to good use? Naturally, the weapon would need to be scaled down a bit... Here's a proposal.

EMPM uE003 "Mini Paralyzer" missile turret.
Damage: 500 normal, 1750 energy damage (2000 shield damage total thus)
Refire: 10 seconds
Energy usage: 2000 (roughly 20% of a standard VHF core)
Explosive range: 20m (enough to hit any fighter, probably useless against gunboats and transports)
Speed: 250m/s
Tracking: 4.36 rad/s
Refire: 0.1 (1 shot every 10 seconds)
Range: 1500m (6 seconds lifetime)
Missile engine delay: 0.1s
No ammo used.

The refire should prevent these from becoming too popular on freightercraft and even transports, unless in the odd-arc firing role. This weapon would be designed mainly as an extra fire-and-forget minor shieldbuster which you can use by going into rearview, targeting your enemy, and squeeze off a shot before resuming maneuvers.
' Wrote:No ammo used.
As a missile spammer, I agree... BUT inRP, a fighter with infinite missiles is... meh. Maybe an energy projectile that has the ability to track down a target but that's a little too fancy.
Actually, I completely agree with this, though it would cause lots of... "trouble" and "issues" to those that use those tiny light fighters.
*points nonchalantly at the Liberty Police force*

Now, the Liberty forces would highly disagree with such a proposal, as it would definitely decrease/destroy their use of their light fighters.
The main reason they use them in the FIRST place is to fly circles around us *coughs* I mean, those criminals.

Criminals would love these, even if not pirating, 'cuz Patriots would be completely annihilated and/or made obsolete.

But I definitely agree with this, so forget the lawfuls, and make some missiles appear out of no where!

But I digress...
There is no such thing as that kind of weapon for one main good reason:
-- Fighters don't have the capabilities to "create" missiles out of thin air.

So, good luck! And may this actually work some day.

-- Pandemonium
*pulls out mine launcher*

yeah... put a few of these on a freighter and lets see what happens. Or maybe a gunboat or transport, as they still have the ability to mount fighter turrets. Though the idea sounds nice at first, adding something like this would prove a bit of a headache to make it balanced enough to put on something like the shire unless the devs do something like what they did with the cruiser and battleship turrets.
Just make cap-missile turrets ammo based, voila.
The problem I have with turret missiles on a fighter is that your average fighter travels at 200ms. Meaning if you fire that turret backwards (as most fighters have their turrets mounted) it flies 200ms slower than normal. Making it essentially useless to fire backwards. And if the turret is balanced to fire backwards at a reasonable speed, then it's going to be very quick on ships with forward firing turrets.

Any way, if you have to rely on rear facing weapons to hit your enemy in a fighter, you should probably learn how to turn your ship about face.
' Wrote:Just make cap-missile turrets ammo based, voila.
That. Perhaps increase the the amount of ammo the big ships can carry, if doable.
' Wrote:*pulls out mine launcher*

yeah... put a few of these on a freighter and lets see what happens. Or maybe a gunboat or transport, as they still have the ability to mount fighter turrets. Though the idea sounds nice at first, adding something like this would prove a bit of a headache to make it balanced enough to put on something like the shire unless the devs do something like what they did with the cruiser and battleship turrets.
2000 energy damage. That's... less then 4 Debilitator hits (which you can score in 1 second), and the refire is once every 10 seconds. The damage it does is largely energy based (500 hull every 10 seconds - that's 50 hull DPS people, and the total damage amounts to 200 shield DPS), so good luck taking down a VHF with such as this alone. It's an extra, not a main weapon. Only possible danger I can think of is if something has at least 6 forward turrets, and a SNAC, to instajoust something - but you can do that with some bombers anyway.

It's basically a low-efficiency, tracking pulse weapon that won't affect hull all that much, designed to fill a slot that's otherwise useless. I don't expect these things to hit all that often in the first place, although in jousts you can send one at your opponent since you know he's going to turn to face you.

[Edit] : I used the word "Missile turret" since that's what people would recognize it by. That it wouldn't fire actual missiles, but instead some sort of tracking energy projectile, would be a good IRP explanation. If the concept is approved I can write up the quasi-science behind it:)
Fighter combat is a delicately balanced piece of gameplay. A splash of more shield damage every 10 seconds is just going to pollute dogfighting, and make the weakest ship class in the game, LFs, even weaker.

I don't see any benefits, sorry.
Thumbs up*

Because really mono backward turret? really?
Pages: 1 2