Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Acoustic Or Electric
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Okay, so recently I've been interested in learning to play the guitar, and I have 3 friends which are willing to help me / teach me, each of them have had differnt ways of getting into playing the guitar.
One of them played bass for his band, but then had to learn the guitar when the guitrist broke his wrist, the 2nd learnt with a acoustic, then moved onto electric, then my 3rd mate learnt to play with electric.
So which one is better for beginners ? I love the sounds, and deep emotional music ( if you get me ) of the acoustic, but love the umph of the Electric.
I can't decide. Friends are useless here, 1 of them says learn bass first, 2nd says acoustic, 3rd says elec. WHICH ONE ?!

Wolfy.
Acoustic - the original and best.

It's best to start with this and build up your skills gradually before learning the other types of guitars. Since if you know how to play an acoustic guitar, you'll know how to play electric and bass. Trust me, the most skilled guitar players all got blisters on their fingers with an acoustic before.
Electric is easier to learn to play which makes acoustic the better choice. If you learn to the play the acoustic, you will learn well and you will be able to play any guitar.

If you start with electric, you will later find acoustic more difficult.
Their all roughly the same, it comes down to personnel preference and pain tolerence. I own a viking de lux 1967 edition with metal strings.

Build up callouses before you try a metal string guitar.
I'd say an acoustic, nylon strings would be easier to start. Learn chords. A few basic songs. Then just noodle on it. I learnt on a steel acoustic without a pick, travis-picking then later flemenco stuff.

Btw, when you first start learning, you won't want to stop; your fingers will hurt pretty bad on a steel string or electric. Sounds stupid, but a little super glue dried on the tips of your fingers can keep you going until you build up some callouses.
If you start off with electric or acoustic is absolutely up to you. Start with what you prefer. Playing acoustic is pretty different from playing electric, so it doesn't matter.

I pretty much learned both at the same time. But yeah, acoustic could be a little harder for beginners.
Think about what music you'd like to play first, or at least where your interest is.
You can get decent (cheap) starter packs (well, you can in Australia) consisting of a an Electric and a Small amp. Then just crank the distortion to cover for your initially spotty playing. :cool:

But it boils down to what the others have said, Acoustics probably need cleaner playing but they can travel and Electrics are just as fun... and cool... and loud. But forget the Bass, it's a completely seperate instrument and should be treated as such.
I've learnd it with a E and fail with ac.

so if you want to be able to play both learn with ac.

if you only want to learn E you can start with it as well.
[color=#FFFFFF]Acoustics are somewhat more difficult to get you going, I think it's because of the size of the thing, however if you are willing to pay more money you can get an acoustic quite similar in set up to the electrics namely longer and thinner neck as well as cut body in order to reach frets beyond 12 easier
why not get the best of both a semi accustic
Pages: 1 2