Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: At a loss to find what i'm looking for.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've always found freelancer stands out because there is so much to do, and i've never found another 'flying' game that holds the same sort of environment, except Hardwar. What i'm really looking for is the sort of things where you have options as to what you want to do, trade, explore, mine, like FL does, but with a more interactive AI system and a bit more expansive when it comes to your own base/homeship/hangar/etc, your own empire, or fleet, or whatever. Freelancer never really expanded much with that, you have a 'hail' button and an ability to blow ships up.

So, does anyone have any suggestions?
Have ya tried EVE? Heard its pretty good.
I'm not looking for a multiplayer game. There are several problems with EVE:
1) Its a MMO.
2) It costs money to play,
3) It takes away the FPS-Style control element like Freelancer or Freespace 2 has, and replaces it with more of a RTS feel.
Maybe you want to have a look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_%28game_series%29.
' Wrote:Maybe you want to have a look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_%28game_series%29.

Ive got X3: Reunion and X3: Terran Conflict

Never played them though, the game looks good but its just, not feeling right for me.
' Wrote:I've always found freelancer stands out because there is so much to do, and i've never found another 'flying' game that holds the same sort of environment, except Hardwar. What i'm really looking for is the sort of things where you have options as to what you want to do, trade, explore, mine, like FL does, but with a more interactive AI system and a bit more expansive when it comes to your own base/homeship/hangar/etc, your own empire, or fleet, or whatever. Freelancer never really expanded much with that, you have a 'hail' button and an ability to blow ships up.

So, does anyone have any suggestions?
This really sounds like you would enjoy X² or X³ ;)
' Wrote:Maybe you want to have a look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_%28game_series%29.

I played X2 once.

After a,few minutes of BS uninstalled.

The controls are horrible imo.
I played X2 a bit aswell... I hated it.
A) It is slooooooooooow. As in, it takes 15 minutes to fly from one bloody jumpgate/whatever to the next. And it's incredibly uneventful along the way.
B) There are no "systems" but only "sectors." A sector can be part of a system or just a blob in space. That'd be alright and realistic if they were not filled with 25 freakin' stations that all look like a black hamburger. And coincidentally most of them have a neon-holographic advertisement for hamburgers on them.
C) It takes ages to progress. My brother played for 2 months and was still stuck with a scout-ship and a 2 small freighters. Well, he owned an asteroid-mining station too but...

So. But the good thing is: It fits your list pretty well.
The interaction with NPCs is muuuch more complex. You can own several ships which can be remote-controlled. You can buy stations and build up an empire. You can chose what to do. Etc.