Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: About Reporting NPC Kills in Dumps
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay. I have noticed several people lately doing this...they kill some NPC caps, and report it in their message dump thread. Now, I know, I know...I did it once, too. When I was still very new here, and thought killing NPC caps was a big deal, I posted about blowing up a Bretonian BS patrol. There were angry mutterings, but nobody was nice enough to tell me why they didn't like that, and why it was the wrong thing to do. However...some of these people doing it now should know better. They've been here long enough.

Now, for the newbies who may not understand why it's a bad thing to do. Anybody can go blow up some NPC caps and claim a great victory...but that puts a bad light on any player factions aligned with those NPCs, and it's an unfair situation because they weren't there to defend. Heck, I could go hop in the RHA flagship late one night when the server is pretty empty and cruise around New Berlin blowing up caps and shooting at planets, claiming a massive victory for the Hessians. But that would be silly and powerplaying, because the RM wasn't around to defend it.

I'm not sure I'm communicating my point very well here, and I'm hoping that some other experienced players that know what I'm talking about can sum it up more succinctly. And I mean nobody any offense, I'm just trying to help people understand why they shouldn't do it so they won't, before anyone gets flamed or receives angry PMs, as I did when I did it as a newbie.
I agree, to a certain extent.

I feel that there is a distinct difference between posting NPC kills and powergaming.

Two Situations

1) Powergaming is like:

"My wingmen and I destroyed 12 RM Battleships! Today alone, we leveled the RM fleet. Tomorrow, Rheinland will be ours!!! EIYAHHHHH!!!!1111!!!!111oneoneoneoneone!!111"

2) Reporting NPC kills, such as battleship kills can help forward an RP, like so:

"Our operation was a success. My squadron was able to down a Rheinland patrol, including one of their battleships. This ought to prove to the Kanzler that we're a force to be reckoned with."

But the only thing is, Lancer is right simply because situation 2, rarely, if ever happens.

So, a word of advice to newer players. Two actually. Don't Powergame.

Good RPs take weeks or in some cases months to develop.