Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Breaking a tiny rule
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Quote:- Cannot use any transports with more than 3,800 cargo

Tell me, if the ship in question would be totally "legal" otherwise, and would not be used for trading, why should this rule be followed? As far as I can tell it's an excuse to force independents to play into factions, given that most large ships are faction-based. However transports are usually used explicitly for trading, therefore preventing those above 3,800 cargo is something of a penalty. Why should this penalty still apply if one isn't going to use the ship for that purpose? And/Or how easy would it be to fudge such an insignificant violation in the name of worthwhile roleplay?
you could get away with it until someone reported you.
I had a freelancer eagle with splitters for a while.
I didn't have a civilian ID on my Shire while trading nukes.
I dont have a merc karasu.
' Wrote:why should this rule be followed?
Do I really need to answer this?

' Wrote:Why should this penalty still apply if one isn't going to use the ship for that purpose?
How do you guarantee that he doesn't use the ship for that purpose?

To allow it for non-trading purposes would be to make a loophole that everyone would be able to abuse extremely easily.

Lets keep our rules enforceable please.

There are plenty of ships for whatever role you want to play, use one that your ID allows.
Because my previous escapades as a capable player, author, and so on ought to count for something. Or is that up to somebody else's interpretation?

Plus I wouldn't have to ask this if there was a ship otherwise; if I had my way, and connections like so many other people have, I'd be a hell of a lot more ambitious in this idea than a measly transport, but seeing as how I don't and since flying around anything larger than a gunboat is considered (falsely) a big deal, the lesser of two evils is 400 units of cargo space.
' Wrote:Because my previous escapades as a capable player, author, and so on ought to count for something. Or is that up to somebody else's interpretation?

Plus I wouldn't have to ask this if there was a ship otherwise; if I had my way, and connections like so many other people have, I'd be a hell of a lot more ambitious in this idea than a measly transport, but seeing as how I don't and since flying around anything larger than a gunboat is considered (falsely) a big deal, the lesser of two evils is 400 units of cargo space.
What exactly are you wanting to do with a Shire or Akegata that isn't trading that you wouldn't be better off doing in a gunboat?
Things. I don't want to explain myself when I'm incapable of even doing anything at the moment; have to wait a few months.
' Wrote:Because my previous escapades as a capable player, author, and so on ought to count for something. Or is that up to somebody else's interpretation?

I'm sure everyone thinks they are good players/authors, etc. Rules are rules, even for the unimaginative and illiterate.

Quote:Plus I wouldn't have to ask this if there was a ship otherwise; if I had my way, and connections like so many other people have, I'd be a hell of a lot more ambitious in this idea than a measly transport, but seeing as how I don't and since flying around anything larger than a gunboat is considered (falsely) a big deal, the lesser of two evils is 400 units of cargo space.

The only problem with special roleplays is that everyone wants to be special which generates a system of exceptions to the rules that is not exceptional but rather de rigeur.

There's a choice - here are two possible options (not exhaustive):
a) enforcing a system of special roleplays by conceivably checking every player's ship, encouraging players to assist in policing other players, comparing all data on ships with approved roleplays on the forums, removing offending items, sanctioning players for not following the rules, having a voted-on application process, compiling all data on approved requests, having players not satisfied with the approval process because it is all a question of interpretation apparently, dealing with accusations of favrotism

or

b) players follow the restrictions imposed by IDs and rules; rules and infocards get rewritten to remove mixing of unbalanced technology; generic shiplines and weapons get expanded; players rely on other ways to demonstrate their skills as players/authors, etc.

What "connections" are you talking about?

edit: Inactive Server-side. Active forum-side. This is in your signature. Why bother raising an issue that doesn't actually affect you now?
I'm not going to get into a debate about "Disco Politics" in which people are doing incredibly nutty stuff outside the realm of these rules yet it's tolerated because a few choice people say so, even as the SRP application system is ostensibly "down".

In any case, I'm asking now, months ahead, to be fair: when a system is so rigid that the only thing conflicting in a roleplay idea is 400 extra slots in a cargo value because a generic ID said so, is that the mark of an effective process? Especially if it cannot, or will not be overcome? You can preach to me all about "following the rules to the T" because the "eventual breakdown would be catastrophic", and all of that nonsense which cannot apply in the real world because no man-made system is ever perfect or capable of dealing with the myriad of circumstances that arise. But I'm not going to buy it. I am a good roleplayer, I am creative, and am more than capable of acting responsibly within the realm of this fictional universe, sans tiny rule conflicts which make no sense in the context of the activity I intend to pursue.

I've pretty much exhausted every idea thus far that doesn't involve burning tremendous amounts of valuable time of my life to conjure up billions of fake credits, and even then, what is there besides joining the legions of other to-the-T generic capital ships which are so caged in both acquisition and use that it appears dreadfully boring? I don't have to explain myself any more than a robot, alien, mutation, or imported celebrity has to. If 400 cargo slots prevents me from doing something that I might find personally enjoyable, and is altogether novel and reasonable, then what's the point of continued play?

As far as your "not exhaustive" alternatives, I'd like to point out the "encouraging players to assist in policing other players" part. I didn't have to post this topic. In fact I probably could have operated this idea for a long time because others would have accepted it, and it wouldn't be until some mincing player or admin caught on that it would be abruptly Bastille'd, in which case this question would be brought up anyway under far less favorable circumstances. I'd like to think that individual players, good players, can judge when a tiny violation like this doesn't mean anything, as opposed to a massive, reality-distorting, fun-destroying incident, and therefore wouldn't report it. It's when a mincing person does and the entire thing is derailed because of 400 cargo units that it becomes an issue worth discussion.
Pages: 1 2 3