Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: mini-laptops
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
so - i need to buy a laptop for work. something i can use outdoors for a long time (for example when traveling by bus for 4 hrs, etc). these mini-notebooks tend to last longer, naturally, because of the screen size, etc. i dont need a powerful hardware setup, just something that pulls off an AV and a shared screen application.

i found a samsung one. seller states the battery lasts up to 12 hours. any samsung laptop users could tell me if they are durable or crash / overheat / whatever too often after long term use.

also, if anyone can point me to any decent device with good battery life, it would be appreciated. personal experiemce is best, of course, since i dont like to trust seller descriptions.

The max battery time will go down though.
But using darker colors on your screen really makes the battery hold out a long time.

I got an Aspire One 532h (10.1")for school stuff.
Windows 7 started works fine with it.

Someone I know has a mini-laptop not sure what brand.
but some tend to lose keys a bit fast from the keyboard.
I've heard that from more people.

If you have lots of money and you don't want your keys to fall off.
Ipad 2 perhaps?

But this mini laptop made it really easy for me to work on school stuff while being in public transport stuff.
[font=Comic Sans Ms]I myself use an older model (read 2 1/2 years old) Asus Eee PC. The battery life is more like 3 solid hours of text processing, as opposed to it's advertised high number.

The important lesson I picked up from the netbook however, is to try out the computer's keyboard before buying. I didn't, and irregardless of online reviews and dainty fingertips, typing was painful. Try the thing at a better buy or somethink, before getting that killer deal online
' Wrote:[font=Comic Sans Ms]I myself use an older model (read 2 1/2 years old) Asus Eee PC. The battery life is more like 3 solid hours of text processing, as opposed to it's advertised high number.

The important lesson I picked up from the netbook however, is to try out the computer's keyboard before buying. I didn't, and irregardless of online reviews and dainty fingertips, typing was painful. Try the thing at a better buy or somethink, before getting that killer deal online

Got a Asus EEE 1000H which is about the same age too. As mentioned before the max battery time decreased over time, however, I really managed to get it past 6 hours when it was new. Needed to turn down brightness and deactivate anything I didn't need like WLAN, etc.
Nowadays it says it won't last longer than 3.5h, though if I measure the time it still gets well past the 4h without sound (which usually isn't a good idea while in a bus anyways).

Current models have an even higher battery lifetime as far as I know.
As for a brand I'd always go with Asus since they usually deliver high-quality work (however, their support is a pain in the rare case of something not working properly).

I have a Samsung laptop, been very pleased with it so far 8-|.
for minilaptops, stay away from Acer and Asus... i got some friends who got those (the newest models) through scholarship....

lets just say, their harddrives, even when used 90% for school (they play alot of CS:S and Warcraft 3 FT, so thats the only games) the HDD gets filledup... they get HOT, REALLY HOT... and according to the one with the Asus Eee, the screen is s*** outdoors if theres even slightly sunny... Acer was somewhat better (like a GBA compared to a Nintendo DS in screen visibility difference).

Both pc's are cheap, but they dont have a CD port, and both my mates has external DVD burner/readers and srsly, they get that "USB port not recognized" more often then not...

The network card in the Acer and Asus ones are good, as in, it has good reception range, but the card is really slow... they also, even with 4gig ram, appears very slow using vista/win7.... The keyboard on both are a pain to use unless you have fingers the size of your average 10yo...

EDIT:

for office, get a 15.5" MAC Air... i hate mac's, but that "thing" can atleast play some games using XPembeded and its battery lasts forever. srsly, my teacher had one with a extra battery on... it could litterally last for days even when running Powerpoint half of the day... Mac may never be a great gaming rig, but its a mighty fine office solution

My opinion; got for a laptop, maybe even a gaming laptop with 13.6" or 15.5" screen... why? because those gaming laptops, really suck, but their batteries gonna last forever when used for office work, AND you can play FL and some other games lagless... Asus Eee cannot play FL lagless, i tried. it lags even with all graphics at bottom. Their graphics card sucks, both Acer and Asus...
Well, I had quite a lot of experience with Hewlett Packard laptops and they are pretty good for their money, with the only exception - the early Mini series had a bad battery that used to work for like two hours instead of promised two and a half or three. Aside from that, their models that are meant for small business or students are good. Well, HP were the first guys to put a normal keyboard on small laptop, just to say.

And I'm currently using 13 inch Lenovo laptop - rather small and light. It's enough for almost everything I need. Lenovo also got some compact models, as I recall; and the Thinkpad EDGE series are what you may need.

On a side note, small laptops don't have issues with more or less old games, that's a fact. I played Freelancer even on my HP Mini 2133 lagless.

:3
I had Asus Eee PC - 9' i belive it was 940 HD? and Samsung N150 - well both are a fine laptops, and I do not have any problem with them.
(both are used by my family right now in home)

If You will decide think about HDD - do You want an SD disck or normal one.
The diference is in enery usage and capacity.
SD ones have a great energy save but offer a small amount of space.
Regular HDD - 160 or even more GB but they drain more a bateries.