Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: using the player list for rp
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So what is the admin ruling on using the player list for RP?
Elaborate please. You'll need to be more specific on how you're using it if you want a good response from them.
well, using it to prove that someone was in a certain system, and using it for in-rp talks in game - e.g. "scramble, corsairs in dublin."
' Wrote:well, using it to prove that someone was in a certain system, and using it for in-rp talks in game - e.g. "scramble, corsairs in dublin."
Generally first example is not okay and second is. I'm not an admin obviously, but from past experience, that's what I've learned. Using it for the first may even warrant a sanction for metagaming.

http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=39126

Refer here.
Ok I am just waiting for an admin to answer, I dont want this to turn into an argument on wether you SHOULD or not.

tnku.
If you require a black and white answer, the current admin view is:

"don't use the player list for role play."

There are RP situations in which it is acceptable to use it but there is not sufficient information me to figure out if this applies to the examples you provided.

Quote:"well, using it to prove that someone was in a certain system"
No, probably not.

Quote:using it for in-rp talks in game - e.g. "scramble, corsairs in dublin."
Sure, why not.
[color=#FFFFFF]People have and will use the character list for Quasi-RP. The concept of LRS (long range scanners) has been known for a good while and it is to some extent understandable that 1100 years in the future they'll have scanners that show more than 10k. But you can not have a scanner that can give you exact co-ordinates over large distances like several light years for example because of the light lag. So it's semi-plausible using it inRP. That however doesn't mean you have to abuse it. Seeing several lvl 80+ players in Gamma does not necessarily mean that you have to fortify Alpha. Further more there's no real way of applying some rules due to the fact that nobody can monitor what are you doing on your end, they can however if what you are doing affects the gameplay of other people on the server.
Quote:][...]
The concept of LRS (long range scanners) has been known for a good while and it is to some extent understandable that 1100 years in the future they'll have scanners that show more than 10k
[...]
The "problem" is that every new player has access to them, even in guard systems:D

As long as the player list is not used as an evidence for on of the criminal databases or so, I'm fine with it. It's nice to see that some LNS ships (newbies who don't know it better) make their way to New Tokyo or somewhere else where they should not be (I've also seen an RNC ship flying from Frankfurt to New Tokyo via the "long range sensors", so it's not always Liberty to blame for:D). ^^
' Wrote:If you require a black and white answer, the current admin view is:

"don't use the player list for role play."

There are RP situations in which it is acceptable to use it but there is not sufficient information me to figure out if this applies to the examples you provided.
No, probably not.
Sure, why not.

well I meant for that to really be one example, cos it is all; being able to see where people are via the player list in RP

So why are they divided? Why can you have one but not the other? if in game in RP you can go
"look they are in system x now,"
why can you not use the player list to prove it later?
The way I see it, and I believe this is perfectly fair... Player list = Long range scanner, which scan up to probably 2 or 3 systems away, this I think warrants probability to be within RP. However, using the long range scanners to see if someone is 10 systems away, and verifying that through RP, isn't within RP, it's just too far.

The exception to this would be guard systems, or heavily monitored systems, long range scanners can be used in RP for those systems by the related faction to that system, and only that faction.

I know I personally use the player list quite a bit when power trading (deal with it) because lets be honest, which trader wants to run into a lolwut pirate that is going to charge too much, or a pirate that is gonna make you drop all your cargo? None of them, however good pirates, that I know that know how to RP, I don't mind running into them, they're fun and good RP.
Pages: 1 2