Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: I'm very bad at combat...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Dear community,

While you've know me for quite a bit, most of my time is spent prowling the forums.

Frankly, I'm not in game much, and as my good friend once told me, I have spent way too much time behind the table.

In a sense, pvping also requires sitting next to a table, but it does not matter that much. You get the point. I lack practice, and recently realized that I am REALLY bad at combat, especially PvP combat in fighters and bombers.

I'm not a big PvP guy, and I don't think it's integral to the game, but I think that after you see me in combat, you will realize why I am posting this. I am speaking the truth, here, btw, I cannot last more than 5 min in a PvP fight, even when using bots/batts. For one of my newer chars, Rolf Kestner, I will need some PvP skills.

Does anyone have any advice besides, "Do the SP campaign!"? Because I have beaten that. It's just that the skills you gain fighting NPCs are often not applicable to PvP.

I do need practice, but sometimes, it's kinda pointless when you do not know what to utilize.

Yours,
elgato.

Since our last faction together I have gained some little skill in fighter combat (no longer like caps). When your able, I am willing to teach ya what little I know, but basicly you need speed and movement. Strafe keys are essential. So, place them on either side of your afterburner key so you can alternate left and right. Also, key-configure your weapons. I have all-weapons (hull/shield busters together) and then just hullbusters. This reduces energy drain once shields down. In addition, you need to learn how to drift and skate. From what I have gleaned from forums and youtube, drift is turning when you hit engine kill to turn faster. Skating, is on afterburner (I think) and alternating with strafe while turning.

Overall, you need to practice with a "friend" to gain true flight time.
I am also useless at PVP. All but 3-4 fights I have ever fought (about 30) I have lost, primarily due to lag where ships jump around all the time. I've tried practice from many people, but that just doesn't seem to fix it. My ping seems to always be in the late 290s-early 510's range.
' Wrote:Dear community,

While you've know me for quite a bit, most of my time is spent prowling the forums.

Frankly, I'm not in game much, and as my good friend once told me, I have spent way too much time behind the table.

In a sense, pvping also requires sitting next to a table, but it does not matter that much. You get the point. I lack practice, and recently realized that I am REALLY bad at combat, especially PvP combat in fighters and bombers.

I'm not a big PvP guy, and I don't think it's integral to the game, but I think that after you see me in combat, you will realize why I am posting this. I am speaking the truth, here, btw, I cannot last more than 5 min in a PvP fight, even when using bots/batts. For one of my newer chars, Rolf Kestner, I will need some PvP skills.

Does anyone have any advice besides, "Do the SP campaign!"? Because I have beaten that. It's just that the skills you gain fighting NPCs are often not applicable to PvP.

I do need practice, but sometimes, it's kinda pointless when you do not know what to utilize.

Yours,
elgato.

I'd say I'm sort of nooby-averagish skill level.. so yeah.. i'm not sure how good my advice is..

*ahem*

It depends on your ship, and your strategy. If you're in a more maneouverable ship, my strategy is to stay closish and use your turning to hit them and not let them hit you. If you have a less maneouverable ship, its better to joust (afterburner, hit engine kill, turn around to face them and go at them - simplified). Also, alternatingly strafe to dodge some fire. You can also use countermeasures to screw up their aiming arrow (i think), and if they are low on health, you might try going for the kill with CDs (like, 1/2 bar hp left).

Nuclear mines also HURT... but I'm not able to use them very effectively... so I can't give much advice for them... or for dodging them... =(
Thanks for all the comments guys.

It's greatly appreciated!
.. Here's some good tips that help me out:

- Plan ahead. If you're going to attack someone and are expecting resistance, pre-plan your escape routes beforehand. It's best to have at least two, in case your first fails or is sabotaged. This is made easy via the use of your navmap; setup waypoints and so on so that when you're already in battle, you have a "focal point." This way you know which direction you need to run without having to take risks by pulling up the navmap needlessly.

- Stay on the character sheet comm screen. This is a big one. You need to know what your enemies are doing, where they are, and most importantly whether or not they're coming for you. All you can do here is practice. The best way to handle this is to sort by system in my experiences, that way you know where to look on the list for hostiles once you locate them initially.

- For anything smaller than a VHF, try shieldbusters. Advanced Debilitators and other guns like Tizona del Cid's really help out average players significantly. It's easier to aim with these guns generally since they've got faster projectile speeds and longer ranges. The hardest part (for me atleast) about any fighter battle is not hitting the target, but rather keeping their shields down so that you do "real" damage.

- Don't be afraid to explore. It's true that things like torpedoes and missiles are mostly worthless, but with enough practice and experimentation you can create your own personalized, unorthodox setup that is both efficient and effective. You'll notice most people avoid using Sidewinder missiles and Sunslayer torpedoes, but in my case I get more kills with these weapons than anything else.

- Try not to settle for less. Upgrade your ship as best as you can. The most common mistake I see people making with fighters (or any other small to medium sized ship) is the thruster they choose. Most players seem to think that there's no reason to move beyond an advanced thruster, but there is alot to be gained by spending a little extra for the Enhanced version or the Nomad/Cheetah variant. The decrease to energy drain will save your life regularly, or at least, it has for me.

- Play dirty, if you need too. Redesign your ship hangar to adapt to any situation. Create a character who flies a Light Fighter to deal with those pesky VHFs and Bombers. It helps to practice with things like Nuclear mines too, as they're a very good way to eliminate any Bomber or VHF. Bear in mind that torpedoes work wonders against Bombers, but good pilots will always dodge them. Missiles also only do serious damage if you nail your target in the face with one (or ten).

- Try to choose your battles, and use all the resources available. If you're ambushed by the Liberty Navy at Norfolk, run towards the Battleship Missouri and try to cause them to misfire on it. This will cause the ship to fire on them, further enabling your victory. It's a cheap trick, but a good one, and I think it makes sense in RP (friendly fire will always get you killed in a real war).
I am not very good either, but I know most of pvp base. I just stress a lot when fighting. I can teach you the basic if you want.
you are certainly not alone. i remember the last bigger fight with Cheshire in omicron minor. ( hammerhead ) .. for all the fight, i had D-boy targettet in his taiiden bomber ... but all i managed was hit his shields.... and that with quite an agile VHF mk1 against a not too agile bomber.

but there are positive experiences, too. like a short dogfight of Clover against a barghest UoG bomber in leeds. my LF was able to take down its shields and even do considreble hull damage ( allthough i think he went shortly for a coffee or something, cause he kept flying in a straight line for quite long )

and then there are absolutely horrible dogfights, too. Clovers Griffin against a BHG manta... i wasn t able to outmanouver that one. not to mention being taken down by a supernova two times ( well, i gotto get used to the fact that a supernova does not display "incoming torpedo":laugh:)
If someone want, just PM me we can practice fight in pvp system with jumphole in new york (forgot name)
' Wrote:If someone want, just PM me we can practice fight in pvp system with jumphole in new york (forgot name)
Connecticut.;)
Pages: 1 2 3