Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Planetary Defense Grids
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
As all the Outcasts know (and most of the Corsairs and IMG, too:lol:) I am rather fond of invoking, whenever the Outcasts are outnumbered (almost always) Malta's massive Planetary Defense Grid, packing thousands of nukes, for all your self-defense needs. Unfortunately, this Planetary Defense Grid is a fiction, existing only in the rumors on Malta's bar. Now, Malta can't be the only planet to have something like this; others have to have it, too. And, as I've observed lately, it's far too easy to just park in front of a planet and sit there with a couple of Battleships, shooting anything that comes out of the tradelanes. So, why don't we start making REAL Planetary Defense Grids, for all the major planets? a dozen or so missile platforms with very fast missiles for killing small ships and very long-range, high-damage missiles with big explosion effects for the Battleships? It would make fights and sieges a LOT more interesting, I think, and much more realistic.
Ooooh....interesting. I like the idea. If not this specific idea, at least some form of more potent defense for the major inhabited worlds. Maybe gun platforms...something easy for fighters to dodge, but that caps have to keep away from.
/signed

But I would say that the platforms need to be disable-able. (It's Sunday, I'm allowed to have bad grammar)

No, bad idea. Remember, these are supposed to be nukes launched from the GROUND. Unless it can be modded where the planet itself spawns the missiles, that won't work.
Why put them on the ground? Makes the whole process much slower and more difficult, because the missiles have to break the planet's escape velocity and get into space before they can pose a threat. Does the rumor specifically say they're on the ground?
I can forsee large problems, one of which being that it will be really really pointless to fly an LF if you get instakilled by weapons platforms..

However, the soloution to the problem of making them planetside launchers is easy. Put the weapons platforms inside the planet model. job done.

EDIT: I am not in favour of this concept, actually... what would smaller factions do, which have few allies ? (Xenos attacking Manhatten for example...)
' Wrote:a dozen or so missile platforms with very fast missiles for killing small ships and very long-range, high-damage missiles with big explosion effects for the Battleships? It would make fights and sieges a LOT more interesting, I think, and much more realistic.
And then when these big giant missile launchers target the fighters, it kills 4 at a time. Plus, weapon platforms are weapoon platforms.. You can't really make them look like a planetary defense grid. Plus, then even normal fights, where no one plans on 'bombarding' would be impossible.
If FL had variables like EVE that can increase or decrease the damage smaller ships and larger ships (smaller ships are hurt less by slow, big missiles) take from missiles, it'd work.. But we don't have that here.
well I like the Idea,

NY
NB
NT
NL
Malta
Crete
Gran Canaria
Toledo

should be protected be anti-cap ship defense platforms, shooting low speed bullet (E.g: Torpedo) so fighters can dodge it but capships cannot
That's the point, McNeo. We shouldn't be attacking planets. They're too heavily fortified to attack. On my Outcasts, I never go near the planets, regardless of if there's anyone around or not.

This is just for those people that can't RP the planets being heavily fortified places where small enemy ships just don't go.
' Wrote:However, the soloution to the problem of making them planetside launchers is easy. Put the weapons platforms inside the planet model. job done.
Missed this one..
Either the weapon platforms get killed by the atmosphere damage, or there shots wouldn't make it through the crust of the planet.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6