Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Moderator authority
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is not attempting to cause problems, simply asking because I may have missed the announcement.

Just - in the past, the powers of the moderators were to clean things up and monitor the boards. Any actual banning of members from the boards, while it could and was discussed in the moderator chat, was up to an admin vote. (And probably still is, I would suspect - BUT...)

When there are posts made that are Moderator Notices about members being banned, where was the public announcement that this was going to be allowed? The impression that is now given without a previous announcement is that Moderators now have this power. (Don't get me wrong, I think that the forum moderators probably SHOULD have this power. It's just that posting a sanction of this type has always been an admin only thing.)

For reference, the two sanction notices made by Forum Moderators and not admins, are Sanction Notice 1 and Sanction Notice 2.

Moderators only have the power to ban people for 48 hours at the moment. This was implemented a fair amount of time ago mainly to combat Karlotta + army of alt accounts. Eventually got used to punish trolls quickly and efficiently while admins discuss the possibility of further repercussions.

I guess it may come as a surprise, seeing as these bans were carried out "silently" before (unless a longer one was imposed by the admin team), and now they are simply being catalogued. That said, all moderator bans are still under admin scrutiny and the decisions are taken by the group rather than the individual, so there shouldn't be any power abuse.
No Agmen, this is actually the begining of our Moderator coup. Be afraid.

[7:13:10 PM] Joe (Jihad): I think you probably shouldn't post that Dab
[7:13:16 PM] Joe (Jihad): but I'll leave it to your judgement.
[7:13:40 PM] Michael (Rebbi Zelot): uh-oh
[7:13:46 PM] Joe (Jihad): Oh
[7:13:50 PM] (Bob) Garrett_Jax: Dab's judgement?

Tempbans have existed for months, Cannon put into effect. We have the ability to ban someone for 24 or 48 hours, used for minor infractions or situations where we need to stop them from posting (such as massive spam, spambots, etc).
' Wrote:No Agmen, this is actually the begining of our Moderator coup. Be afraid.

Tempbans have existed for months, Cannon put into effect. We have the ability to ban someone for 24 or 48 hours, used for minor infractions or situations where we need to stop them from posting (such as massive spam, spambots, etc).

It's hard to be afraid of the Gallic Princess, Dab... :P

It was just a bit of a shock to suddenly see that in the sanction notice section was all. Perhaps you guys should consider having a seperate sub-section for forum infractions that don't affect the in-game stuff as a thought. (Moderators running amuck...:crazy:)

' Wrote:It's hard to be afraid of the Gallic Princess, Dab... :P
Zoners learned differently.

Also, there is a pinned thread about this.
' Wrote:Also, there is a pinned thread about this.

Linkie? (I'm not being facetious - I looked through most of the boards for a pinned thread about this issue and couldn't find it - that's why I posted this.)

' Wrote:Zoners learned differently.

Maybe we need a reminder... More zoners curse Aurelia for the Treaty of Bethlehem than for any kind of attack or something. :P
' Wrote:Maybe we need a reminder... More zoners curse Aurelia for the Treaty of Bethlehem than for any kind of attack or something. :P
More Zoner factions forget they voted in favor of that treaty before leaving the Council.. And forget that I did not vote on that issue, being chairman. My duty is to sign the treaties the Zoners vote in favor of.. The factions were among those who did so.

They just like to conveniently forget.:smile2:

But yeah, even if the wounds aren't as bad now, they were when I was actually pew pewing. I've been more silent lately. There'll be plenty of stuff for .86, but for now everything would just be redundant. And redundant is boring for both parties.
As I saw this mod sanctions, i asked myself: "Duration 24?"

I thought of days, not of hours.

Seriously, add a simple "h" into the formular please. To prevent from confusion.