Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: All "hidden" game features in one tutorial.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This tutorial is compiled from this thread:

Idiocy? Obviously! Much to learn, even for Veterans!

The features listed here are not "hidden", but obvious. The only problem may be, that sometimes someone just didn't notice them.

This is a tutorial to open your eyes just for the case. Read it, and enjoy the game even more perhaps.

Part 1

' Wrote:I found out, that if you target another ship in space, it name appears, you can see the distance from it to you.

And there is another number, that you can see:

[Image: th_screen131.jpg]

So, obviously this number shows the level of the charakter. Yes, yes, now i know, too.
That was a thing, i just don't noticed until ~1 year ago.

' Wrote:It was about a year before I realized there were red and green lights on the trade lanes to show you where to enter, and even then someone had to show me.
This is the most quoted comment in the linked thread.

' Wrote:First time I heard about engine kill was some time after I entered Discovery...
For engine kill, press "Z". You drift then. Very handy for fights.

' Wrote:I didn't realise there was a major difference between Niobium and Niobium ore.
There is one. Read the Mining guides also to learn about that major difference.

' Wrote:I also didn't know about quick docking for a long while.
Fly very close to a base, tradelane, jumphole or jumpgate, then press F3, not before. You can dock then without a video sequence.

' Wrote:look in your settings, where you assign keys to controls.
scroll down and there is a "roll left" and "roll right" feature. (i think thats the name of it...)
by default, the keys aren't assigned.
only seems to work in cockpit view.
and

' Wrote:Barrel roll never worked :/

Didnt try in cockpit mode tho.
That is well explained. It works only in cockpit view.

' Wrote:i played the game for a very long time before i realized that you can "turn on" your countermeasure dropper, so it automatically launches CMs when someone shoots missiles at you, by clicking on it in the HUD.
but

' Wrote:Keep in mind that auto on CMs spend a lot of them and if you have those that use up power you'll be left pretty much empty soon.
Try out how it works.

' Wrote:I went to a ship dealer once.

I clicked on a ship's picture.

It spun.

I was all liek 'omg, wtf'
Yes, you can see a ship from all sides, before buying it.

' Wrote:If you look at the map, the trade lanes look like they 'move' in a specific direction. That is the direction the top lane runs.
Another way to know, where to dock on a lane.

' Wrote:A few days ago, I just realized that I can hit the ESC key to cancel some of the videos of docking on planets and stuff... I can't believe I didn't know that ><
Save a lots of seconds each evening. Shorten the game a bit. Also another way: Disable the transition scripts under F1 --> options.

' Wrote:More on subject, I've realized some 8 months ago that I could skim through subtargets by assigning a key. quite useful
For that, search for the button on your hud/contact list, if you have targeted another player.

' Wrote:I only recently figured out you could strafe up and down too. Quite handy when using craft like the Nyx which have a hitbox that is wide, and not high. Survivability++;
It is always good to take a closer look at the control keys.

' Wrote:I made my first million doing low level mission in a manta with no armor and xeno weapons, during two weeks I spent hours getting money by missions; then I realized trading was profitable and I cried of happyness :mellow:
Yes. Trading is profitable since a few years...

' Wrote:After having FL for years and years I only found out last year that you can unbuckle weapons and items. I used to just sell everything (battleship licence ect) and rebuy it to have it installed on my ship >.<
You can unmount guns and equipment, and sometimes it saves you some money.

' Wrote:I still can't get used to fact that formation doesn't allow you to control your ship one little bit. It has been reason for more than one funny death:
*hits formation on group member 4k away*
*relaxes*
*ship decides to cut corner through a planet*
*hits spacebar and jerks mouse to side*
*goes "wha...?" when nothing happens*
*boom*
All autopilots are only that perfect as their programmers are.

' Wrote:It took years to work out that the red and green squares next to commodity prices indicate good and bad selling/buying prices
Red and green lights again. But also

' Wrote:Since you admitted it I have to ask: Are you aware there are yellow ones for moderate prices too?:D

' Wrote:It took me quite some time to find out, that my ship actually has a thruster and how it works. I played through the whole single player without using the thuster, and I played like 2 months on the server back in 4.84 without even knowing that I had one. D:
Sometimes it is useful to have a thruster.

' Wrote:[font=Times New Roman]Here is one more from me. Not directly related to Freelancer, but to forums. 10 minutes ago, i have realized, how to change the fonts.

Never saw that button before, i swear.
There is a "font" option, when you post.

' Wrote:I saw this only like a week ago:

[Image: screenshot149.th.png].
The tech chart is very important to know when it comes to rules, if you may guess.
Part 2
]
About the weapon groups: I got it, how to do. Shortly before i have founded my shop - so as dont need the knowledge about that, i forgot again. I will read this tutorial again, when i ever should need it: Here or here.

And for the moving lanes: Do you have the gfx preferences in game set to maximum? Or is your PC an old one perhaps? I remember, that i saw this first on my friends PC. My machine was a bit too small to show it.
[/quote]
Only to explain it.

Wrote:</cite>When I first played the game, it took me a good 3 days to realise you could get through a tradelane, I thought they were just for show. Yes I know you dock with some at the start of the game, it is mandatory, but I paid little attention and was left cruising through systems, wondering why it was so slow. Also I realised a Tachyon weapon isn't physically possible, if tachyons could become a weapon, then they would hit the vessel before you fired O_O</blockquote><br />Trade lanes: You can cross system faster, if you use them. Very important to know.

<blockquote class="mycode_quote"><cite Wrote:
I just tried to scan a NPC for his ID -.-
Only player controlled ships have IDs.

Wrote:</cite>I tried to buy a tractor beam and was annoying other players with asking them about selling locations.
In my first days on discovery server.</blockquote><br />And only non-player controlled ships have tractor beams. Players have their ID, which includes a tractor beam.

It also took me a while to find out you can dodge npc's by using engine kill flying backwards away from the npc's. Even when someone told me you could do that it took me ages to figure out. Finally the ship repair shop has some free time instead of glueing my ship back together all the time.
If you have to run from NPCs in a fighter, just kill your engine - see above - and turn around 180° while drifting. The distance to your enemies will increase very quick.

Wrote:</cite>Just realised that if you get 30k+ away from the sun in Omega 11,you take no radiation damage.</blockquote><br />The closer you are, the heavier the damage is.

Making sure all the selected weapons are the same velocity when taking on snub craft in a cruiser rocked my world.
Never combine guns with a different velocity.

Wrote:</cite>I just discovered there is a /r command *facepalm*</blockquote><br />With typing /r blabla into your comms, you sent a blabla message back to the player, from which you have recieved your last private green message.

I played FL since it came out and i realized one month after joined the community that if you don't target
a hostile NPC, it dodges less than a targeted one. Unfortunately this doesn't work with players.:crazy:
Yes, shoot the NPCs only, without targeting them. They are easier targets then.

Wrote:</cite>I only recently figured out you can set destination waypoints even to different systems - useful if you're not used to cruising through house space. Open map - Go to the Galaxy view, zoom into the system you want to travel to, then set a waypoint by the "get quickest path to" option. Doesn't work everywhere though, not all systems seem to have mappings for em...</blockquote><br />It works only, if the systems are connected with jumpgates, not jumpholes.

If you want to find and chart the quickest way to certain location, get a friend and group up first, then go to starting point and ask friend to take mission in destinated system. This way waypoints will include even unmapped jump holes. Even Gallia - Crete should work, though I tried only in Liberty this.

Or you can do it solo. Get mission in destinated system, fly to another house and it will keep adding waypoints for quickest routes back.
Also very interesting.

[quote= Wrote:
Also took me awhile to realize there's a button to minimize the weapons screen and target screen instead of clicking them out manually.
See more from the space.

I already know, that most players may know this all.

But not all, i am sure. For those few, i have compiled it.

Enjoy it.