Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: A Wild Freelancer Appears!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello Discovery,

I completed the single player game of Freelancer a bit back, and reinstalled Freelancer after I became interested in multiplayer servers and mods for the old, uncut-diamond-of-a-game. Of course, I blame Privateer Gemini Gold for this, being a like-game, addictive too, but with gameplay difficulty that rivals Ninja Gaiden...

But I digress. I love the mod so far. In the un-modded game, I quickly found a lack of things to do or spend money on after I set up Trent to take on the Nomads. I don't have that problem in Discovery. Kudos to the developers.

So far, I've been playing two characters while trying to find some aim and a place within the RP, Killgore_DuBois, a Freelancer with a mid-ranged transport and a hatred of pirates, and Orphic_Hades, an IMG Miner stuck in Bretonia who also...hates pirates.

On that, not to get off on a rant here, but it seems that every pirate or terrorist in Sirius has a bomber or other bomber-like heavy ship just to terrorize the transports. Now, I get RP and that is what pirates do, they pirate, but the idea of a bomber makes me think of military. No wonder piracy runs rampant in Sirius, when they're equipped to tear through anything larger than potato chip. And boy, can they! Bombers should be renamed "Anti-Transport ships." ...But I get there are balancing issues and future updates and RP. My complaints on bombers are all a personal gripe and, honestly, my experiences with pirates (mostly paying them off) has been my most involving, interesting RP so far.

The players here have been completely amazing. From players offering advice, grouping with me without being even bugged into doing so, the pirates actually being pretty nice while holding guns to my face, and the community in general all seeming to really want to help, I've found the server and game to be very involving and user-friendly. I like that. That's how online RP communities should be.

My real questions would be, how best should I get into the RP? I find the two wars, with Bretonia and Kusari to Liberty and Rheinland, to be great ideas. Also, there's the re-ignition of the feud between the Corsairs and the Outcasts to the Order and the Nomads/Wild. It should be fun to see how these play out and how much depth and control the players actually have over the directions of all.

Also, I might have to get a mic for the Skype thing.
Welcome mate. I would suggest taking a look around and reading other people's RP posts, then joining an official faction to familiarize yourself with the Disco world.

After that find a character type that fits for you and go with it, whether it be indy or official.

Have at!

Cheers
welcome. i LOVE your attitude, mate. hope you keep that up in this madhouse. as for skype, mic is not really necessary - most skype use here is for chats to coordinate players. it is useful of course for ingame stuff, when you could have a hard time typing (during a fight / chase for example).

all in all - welcome, read the rules, join a trading faction - those will show you the ropes of local gameplay.

enjoy.
Mmmmmm,fresh meat. Take a sneak peek at my signatures, I can guarantee tons of RP (and pewpew if that's your thing). Also, second what Vlko said. This IS a madhouse.
Welcome mate. I would suggest taking a look around and reading other people's RP posts, then joining an official faction to familiarize yourself with the Disco world.

After that find a character type that fits for you and go with it, whether it be indy or official.

Have at!

Cheers