Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Natural Disasters
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This just struck me - I can't think of ANY time when any part of Sirius had a genuine natural disaster.
Sure, supernovas and the like only happen every few million years - but stars can flare, heat up or cool down unexpectedly (our own star is having trouble producing sunspots right now, which may drop temperatures here on earth).
And with all the space junk floating around New York, you're telling me not -once- has any of it fallen on Manhatten? Or a rogue asteroid hasn't impacted on any planet -throughout Sirius-?
Heck, there's precedent in Vanilla - Kepler used to be a thriving system before it got unexpectedly swamped with dark matter.

So. Thoughts? Should we try to roleplay that some part of Sirius has had an accident?
You can try.
Its pointless aside from walls of text written and warm feeling in your heart. Niobium and gold will still sell for more then pharma, food, water or materials to rebuild the place.
planets have planetary shields
Didn't the planet in the Rogue guard system get eaten by a black hole?
' Wrote:This just struck me - I can't think of ANY time when any part of Sirius had a genuine natural disaster.
Sure, supernovas and the like only happen every few million years - but stars can flare, heat up or cool down unexpectedly (our own star is having trouble producing sunspots right now, which may drop temperatures here on earth).
And with all the space junk floating around New York, you're telling me not -once- has any of it fallen on Manhatten? Or a rogue asteroid hasn't impacted on any planet -throughout Sirius-?
Heck, there's precedent in Vanilla - Kepler used to be a thriving system before it got unexpectedly swamped with dark matter.

So. Thoughts? Should we try to roleplay that some part of Sirius has had an accident?
You mean like the spreading of the lawl-syndrome in the Liberty systems? That IS a very serious disease!;)

By the way, there are also man-made desasters. If you are lucky enough you can read the rumor about a "special" day on planet New Berlin. It says that a regent once wanted to warm up the cooler night side of the planet with enormous satellite-based mirrors - which resulted in a terrible accident ... and since this day, the people are making fun of this regent even if he's dead for centuries:D
' Wrote:This just struck me - I can't think of ANY time when any part of Sirius had a genuine natural disaster.

I think, that there have been many Disasters in Liberty.

In the Info cards it tells about a big Disaster in the Texas System where a large hyperspace Jump was tried and failed. A debris field is the result. And then there is the abandonned Station where Juni goes to hide with Trent, with a white glowing thing. There are a few station Wreckes, one in New Castle.

But it would be nice to have hospital ships for Role Play.