Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: hello
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
<story>
So I finally got around to making a forum account. I got Freelancer about a month ago, and played the campaign start to finish without breaks...:wacko:after that, I found discovery, installed it, and have been exploring for the past few weeks, and even bothered to beat the campaign again- it was a lot harder (oh god the escape from bretonia: 1 BS, 3 cruisers and 2 GB are NOT balanced to 5 heavy fighters anymore!), but I think it made me a better pilot. For one thing, I learned how to use mines and not hit myself with them... usually...

Anyhoo, I've found a lot of the stuff in discovery already and don't think I'll be a total noob when I get my internet to finally connect to the server (should be later tonight, actually, cuz I think I found the problem). i know a couple really profitable trade circuits and checked out the readme ship list. Kudos to whoever put in the firefly, you are now my personal jesus :yahoo:please get in line with the rest of them to receive your shrine. however, playing by yourself or even with a few friends can't help RP, and although I am a fairly good actor so to speak, I would like 'instruction' to fine tune my skillz. I've noticed the angels mentioned a few times in the other welcome posts, and if someone could point me to whoever will be online in 8-12 hours that would be awesome. I also enjoy writing stuff, especially sci-fi space-stuff, and according to everyone I've talked to I'm actually not that bad at it, so expect a few stories. Speaking of such, I have a couple of nomad-based story ideas but can't check them against canon... who should I ask about that?
</story>

Getting back to the welcome, the communist penguins have been at my doorstep ever since I found this forum and haven't left... should I be concerned? I've been using a jump hole they don't know about to get around, but will they disperse when I make an account?

Also, for first time through, do you guys recommend being a trader, pirate, or bounty hunter? I know I can make ridiculous amounts of money with all three, but what is safest/most fun for a first push to level 40?

And if anyone wants to make recruit attempts before I name my first char now is the time to do it. I'm inclined to join the blood dragons, bundschuh or LSF for fun combat, but I'm afraid if I go the figher route I might land in someplace that doesn't do enough fun, interesting RP-inspiring raids. Plus the most awesome trade routes I've found are manhatten to new berlin (not terribly safe, but so profitable...) and joining pirates (thus killing docking rights in those areas) would prevent usage of such. Which would be okay if it was really fun pirates, but I want to make sure beforehand.

Gah, I haven't woken up properly today. Hopefully you understood what I was trying to get at, and possibly respond. I'll be checking this again in an hour, preemptive thanks for the warm welcome!

gorramit that was a long post... did I really write all of that?
First impression? Excellent.

Second Impression? ZOMG, he's literate!

Recommendation? You'd be bored spitless in the TAZ.. We mostly use our gun barrels as hatcheries for new Scrubbies.

Prognosis? Valuable addition to the community. Watch your overcoat.

Welcome aboard, Sovereign.

Mal
I say go for trading first. To be a pirate or bounty hunter, you need to equip yourself first. But.. you don't have the money yet! So I guess trading is the best idea here.

Err... don't listen to anyone's rants. And beware of the cannibals... they are nasty. Turkish and blunt know what I'm talking about:crazy:

Oh and, welcome, bud!:D

-Mike
thanks mike for the gameplay suggestion, and I am honored by mal's response. 'twill be fun, but for now I'll have to finish packing stuff for the 3-hour bus ride home. at that point I'll finally be able to start playing! yeehaw!

that means you guys have three-five hours to sell me on factions! ready... set... go!
The LSF and LPI have a lot of fun. I get to run around and blow apart smugglers and such in places like Zone 21.

Boss.Mk.II:
True, us LPI have donuts for brains and coffee for blood, but it's better than those Bretonians-- crumpets are not edible.

Boss:
LSF rules. We get the cool stuff, and what looks better than LSF in front of your name?

[BLS]-Shadow
The Outcasts can either be your best friends or your worst enemies. Pick well, young one.

That's my two bits.

Oh, don't feed teh bulldog.
Welcome to Disco, nice intro, you'll fit in just nicely.
Ahoy mate, welcome to Discovery. Mal's first impression is good enough for me.
unfortuantely, you can't escape the finest weapon we SCRA have. Communist penguins will find you wherever you go.

Welcome to discovery =)
Welcome!

Hope to see more fine Roleplayers in space!

Agreed with Mal, good luck!
Welcome to Discovery, if your ever in the Omicron Gamma area look up the Brotherhood!

But Mike actually has the right idea, trading and exploring while you earn some funds and it also lets you adjust to the server that way.
Pages: 1 2