Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Historical System
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This post is made to commemorate the authors and model makers that have contributed and worked really hard to make Discovery evolve to what it was and what it is. With an idea called "The Historical System."

HS should be own it's set of maps and systems somewhere passed the Omicron system or any location system on the border of the Sirius System. Wherever the developers feel happy having people discovering it, the location cannot be disclosed on the Wiki as it would be a surprise.

Think of the system to be a developer repository. The system is dedicated to the history of Discovery Version changes. It will be comprised of dockable stations, and dockable planets. On these stations and planets, we will have NPCs at the bar named after developers and such people who contributed, and worked on the Discovery Mod. Each talking about their part in history of developing the mod, and how it came to be. The stations will also feature buyable/flyable ships that where old custom models, model rips, and things that where removed in the latest versions. Aside from that, you can take on small missions in the system that wont have any impact on your reputation to any factions. In these missions you will fight fighters or ships not used by NPC's in the main game, armed with harder weaponry. It will be a new challenge, but it will yield items that could give 10,000 credit rewards. Even have an experimental One-Way jump gate that will take you anywhere in Disco as you specify. Maybe hard getting back to the historical system though since it's one way...

I got the idea in some video games where developers left some goodies after you beat the game. Sometimes they allowed you to use stuff not put into the final product of the game, but as a bonus that you get for completion. The idea of a Developer Repository location code named "Historical System" would be a good place for historical preservation with some things to do.

This maybe a good addition towards the final version of Discovery Freelancer. I'm not saying that 4.86 or anything is final, but somewhere in the future where development may retire. A Developer repository could also act as an admin post for server host as well. Access to Admin ships and such can be purchased there if the System could be considered for the multiplayer side as well. I seen an Admin ship in the wiki, in my opinion, this system would be a good place for them along with administration because admin ships look like an unbiased faction, they would seem a little out of place to be buying them in factionized systems.

I'm hoping this idea is a good contribution, I'm not sure if it was considered before because I haven't spotted it in the wiki or forums yet. But It's my proposed idea to be able to grasp how Disco Freelancer evolved without having to install and play each version of the mod over and over. It wouldn't take much effort to make such a system and all, but think of it to be the last thing to do on the development list. Fans and players alike would enjoy it, but that's just a guess.

I put a lot of thought into this idea, I really hope it's considered for all the trouble I put into thinking about it and my thanks to such a great mod for Freelancer. Thank you for reading! Please, support this idea if you like it.
I guess this isn't going to be considered, well, can't say I didn't try. Maybe the Disco Freelancer community isn't ready for it.
TL;DR but I'm guessing the gist is you think a system should be added to commemorate, or honor, the admins and moderators who put the time and effort into Discovery.

If that's the case then I'm going to say no.

Like other posts have said in the past Discovery has far to many systems as in, most of which are hardly used.

As of that being the case anything to honor the devs should be to play. That should be an honor in itself. Playing Discovery and keeping the community strong is what we do. That shows our contribution to them and if you really wanted something like that in game then a station would suffice. Not an entire system.

But like I said. too long didnt read. If you wanna gist it down for me by all means.

EDIT:

Quote:Think of the system to be a developer repository. The system is dedicated to the history of Discovery Version changes. It will be comprised of dockable stations, and dockable planets. On these stations and planets, we will have NPCs at the bar named after developers and such people who contributed, and worked on the Discovery Mod. Each talking about their part in history of developing the mod, and how it came to be. The stations will also feature buyable/flyable ships that where old custom models, model rips, and things that where removed in the latest versions. Aside from that, you can take on small missions in the system that wont have any impact on your reputation to any factions. In these missions you will fight fighters or ships not used by NPC's in the main game, armed with harder weaponry. It will be a new challenge, but it will yield items that could give 10,000 credit rewards. Even have an experimental One-Way jump gate that will take you anywhere in Disco as you specify. Maybe hard getting back to the historical system though since it's one way...

Found the gist somewhere in here. And the above stated goes well for this. Also putting in old versions of the ships would take too much time for 1, for 2 mostly are imported and discovery doesnt want that. K i'm done now.
**** you
[Image: th_skype-bow.gif]
Well Dack, that's your own personal decision. I was just saying my point on it. BTW the account maybe new but I've been around since 2006.

If you want my constructive criticism, which you no longer deserve, I'd say shrink it down to something smaller, not an entire system. Yes the ideas good for putting something in to have the community better understand them. Maybe the "Bonus" item could be some firework cannon or something that doesnt do any damage, who knows.

That's just my thoughts on it though. If you want to suddenly lash at me, you already did nevermind. I'm sorry I gave the opinion you asked for.

EDIT: Now I ask that a moderator lock this thread.

Also ask that no one reply to this, but thats just me.
As a dev head, this idea cannot be implemented due to mod size, Rules, RP and the reasons stated by Hope

Have a good day.