Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Lets talk on
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
' Wrote:Oh. And one other thing. I do RP ingame. I don't forumlance. Hence the low postcount. That doesn't make me any less of a member than anyone else, nor does it indicate my mental abilities. In short:

People say Reavers are the cancer of Disco. No, they're not. Q_Q'ers are.

Edit @ Rose: That's why I don't ask for help on the Forums.
So you automatically assume that he thinks you're some sort of lesser being due to post count? I see where this is going. Not to mention that the above quote is another example of hijacking the thread, trying to turn it into a debate about post count or people the complain alot. This thread has a very, very valid point.

On to the topic, I agree on it. If you're going to post flood like responses,, post them in flood. Not in places where they don't belong. If someone is asking a (somewhat) decent question, don't hijack the thread in the first five minutes and make it your personal playground. Pretty ignorant if you ask me.
Regardless of Korny's obvious ire, he does have a point. If you don't feel like aiding someone, the least you could do is not berate him asking for help. We play on an RP server with a rather extensive set of rules compared to many other FL servers, and unabashedly degrading those asking for help just isn't a good way to introduce people to our community. If you don't feel like helping someone, it really doesn't cost you anything to stay out or direct them to someone who can/will such as Angels,rules, etc.

A lot of these posts reference the desire of you as players to have fun on this game. That's well and good but it's really very much against the spirit of our rules and this server entertain yourselves by trolling people who are interested in becoming a part of this community.
I actually pm'ed that guy after my first post

can I get a cookie?
Get ingame, kill the offenders on all their characters with excessive roleplay. Relax.

Threads falling into side discussions and mere flooded by funny images and irrelevant commentaries are a pretty usual thing in every online community. We're kinda between the hammer of letting people to communicate in the way they desire on the forum and anvil of keeping discussions reasonable and so on.

Not like we should use the same approach to all threads;

oh, no, there is a cool approach for true men with the hair everywhere:

Don't be dicks.
I'd also like to have some sort of Moderation-Team/Admin input in here, if possible.
I'll give some input...after I step back for a few minutes & beat down the urge to say what I really think & come up with something more professionally digestible.
Actually, what can I say, really? I can't apologize for the behavior of forum members...When I take the time to put myself in a newbies shoes & try to look at this place with new eyes, I have to admit, It's not a place I would be welcome in. If I joined up today & started going on the server doing all the stuff I was doing in 07-08, I'd be trolled outta this place in a month & I'd have missed out on countless numbers of good times.

...Personally speaking, I guess the best I can say is that the problem is partly my fault & I'll do my best to do a better job.
Discovery is not n00b friendly.
We have yet to really try to make it welcome, even as the community grows and grows, becoming more and more hostile to lost n00bs usually.

Flooding a topic is pretty..****ty. I simply trust the moderators and admins to deal with it.
What's with this whole flood mentality? It seems like this forum revolves entirely on the principle that 90% of the stuff on the forum should be in flood, because someone makes a joke, or posts off topic every now and then.

Flood was originally intended as a non-moderated part of the forum, in which people can post crap at their discretion without actually increasing their post count. A concept you may find on many other forums. The difference here is that if someone doesn't like a thread, they just throw in the flood cry, which quickly dilutes the entire topic.
As I see it, threads should be sorted in regards to the original topic presented in them, rather than whatever gets posted afterwards.

Every thread begins with a single purpose. If that purpose is serious business, it belongs in a serious business section of the forum, regardless of how badly it gets spammed later on. If it's a silly thread, it belongs in Flood, and from there the thread can degenerate into repeated postings of whatever the current popular internet memes are.

The thread used as an example belongs in a "serious business" subforum because the guy is asking a genuine question (nevermind that he doesn't even seem to understand how our mod operates). It shouldn't get moved to Flood, because the topic's original purpose was not something silly. Even when the topic gets spammed with silliness from other forum members, it belongs above the Floodwaters. If anything, the spam-posts should get removed and the spam-posters should get a wrist slap. Mods do this a lot already, but I'm willing to bet they have a hard time keeping up with all the out-of-place crap that gets thrown up on the forums around here.

This is something I tried to push during my time as Craig, actually, although it was usually in a different direction. Subforums exist for a reason. Ideally, a serious thread should start off in a serious forum section, and all replies in the thread should remain somewhat serious and on-topic. A silly thread should start in Flood and whatever happens there happens. If a thread with a serious topic is posted in Flood, it should probably be moved to a better subforum. If a thread with a silly topic is posted out of Flood, flush that thing.

The problem isn't with the Mods or their "obligation" to move incorrectly placed threads. It's with the posters, who need to know where they're putting their threads and should be mindful of what they post in other people's threads.
Pages: 1 2 3 4