Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: To maximise folder loading time
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My current main images folder (Libraries > Pictures) has over 5000 files and sub folders in it. I'm not sure if this is related to my system's performance or the operating system itself, it usually takes around 15 seconds or more to load the entire directory. That means I have to open the directory and wait for 15 seconds before I can see all files and sub folders inside it.

The question is - is this a well known issue with 32bit versions of Windows 7 and is there a way to improve the load times other than upgrading hardware?

ps: I know I can split those 5000 files into different directories but I like to keep everything in the same place.

Maybe turn off the tumbnails option if you know the file name itself? Windows tends to cache all the thumbnails to try and counter this, but the more images there are, the more clogged it gets. I get a bit of downtime with my 64bit. Let me see if I can hunt down the option to speed it up again...

EDIT:
Ah here we go, here is the problem:
Quote:An important question arises here, why does Windows 7 takes so much time to cache the thumbnails since they were cached the last time as well? As it turns out, Windows 7 will delete the cache and rebuild it from scratch every time a user changes the content of that folder.

I didn't think it deletes the cache when the content changes... luckily there is a way to stop this. Here it is:
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/...humbnail-cache/
' Wrote:Maybe turn off the tumbnails option if you know the file name itself? Windows tends to cache all the thumbnails to try and counter this, but the more images there are, the more clogged it gets. I get a bit of downtime with my 64bit. Let me see if I can hunt down the option to speed it up again...

EDIT:
Ah here we go, here is the problem:
I didn't think it deletes the cache when the content changes... luckily there is a way to stop this. Here it is:
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/...humbnail-cache/
Handy, thanks for the tip. That fix seems like it stopped my Windows installation from grinding to a halt every time I tried to open my rather picture-heavy Downloads folder.
Uh get more RAM
Profit?
Delite all of the useless stuff once per week(CCleaner) and defragment(OandO) once per week- simple.
' Wrote:Uh get more RAM
Profit?
Delite all of the useless stuff once per week(CCleaner) and defragment(OandO) once per week- simple.

' Wrote:32bit version of Windows 7

4GB is what I have and what I can have at the most. 64bit has awful compatibility issues as reported by most people I know.

I'm trying that delete cache procedure, looks promising.

Got the same problem with my 64 bit - hoping Fletcher's link could solve it. Mine takes about 15-25 secs tops to load.

EDIT: Impressive - its loading up very quickly than before.
' Wrote:4GB is what I have and what I can have at the most. 64bit has awful compatibility issues as reported by most people I know.

I'm trying that delete cache procedure, looks promising.
I haven't had any issues with compatibility with any of my old XP software on my 64-bit Windows 7. 64-bit auto-emulates 32-bit in the processes that are not native 64-bit, as shown in the task manager:
[Image: taskmanager3264.png]

EDIT: , how much quicker is it?
Here's me reporting after the restart and the deny cache permission method.

It didn't work. My image folder still loads at the same speed as before.
Perhaps disable thumbnails completely, if they arent?

Even if you deactivate thumbnail cache windows has to load thumbnails for pictures when you open folder, and because thumbnail cache is validated by its timestamp vs folder change timestamp, changes to folder will force windows to recreate it anyway, so disabling it is kinda pointless