Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Tech Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This one has been bugging me for awhile. Since it'll be a bit difficult to explain, I'll just do an example.

Bob is a part of Billy's Friendship Club. For RP reasons, Bob has to leave. Billy tells Bob that he can keep the faction ships from Billy's Friendship Club. However, the tech that Billy's Friendship Club has is tech granted from Lucie's Sewing Circle. Now a problem arises. Lucie's Sewing Circle isn't official anymore.

So here's my question. Can Billy take 1 ship granted to them from Lucie's Sewing Circle and let Bob use it. (Basically, transferring the permission for the one ship from Billy's Friendship Club's grant and give it to Bob, Bob's character being an ex-member of Billy's Friendship Club)

EDIT: Or could it be something like "The name of one of these ships has been changed to X from BFC|X" on the tech allowance
I don't see why them becoming unofficial would influence anything, they were official when the tech was granted for that ship, thus the tech grant is official. Also giving it to someone else shouldn't be a problem, people sell tech granted ships all the time.
The once official faction going unofficial is just a reason why I can't ask them for a ship. It doesn't have to do with getting permission transferred over.
I think I understood that...

And the same thing happened when the Mollies went unofficial. Any tech grants they gave still stood when the faction went unofficial. The only thing, was that no one was able to ask for Molly tech with no official faction.

In essence, to anyone who were looking at getting Molly tech, but did not get any before the faction went unofficial, then the white cell basically turned red to anyone not already owning Molly Tech.
' Wrote:I think I understood that...

And the same thing happened when the Mollies went unofficial. Any tech grants they gave still stood when the faction went unofficial. The only thing, was that no one was able to ask for Molly tech with no official faction.

In essence, to anyone who were looking at getting Molly tech, but did not get any before the faction went unofficial, then the white cell basically turned red to anyone not already owning Molly Tech.
I know, but that is not what I am asking.

I am asking if X faction can transfer one ship from their allowed amount from faction Z over to character Y.
' Wrote:The once official faction going unofficial is just a reason why I can't ask them for a ship. It doesn't have to do with getting permission transferred over.
Well, derp, if they become unofficial they can't do official faction stuff anymore. I thought you meant does the tech grant expire if they go unofficial.

EDIT: Tech approvals stand, if the character fits the criteria of the tech grant, then it's np.
Ship Name: Bill's.Ship
Exact Technology Granted: Conference gunboat

Say I gave the above permission to Gheis. Gheis decides he is leaving Discovery and thus sells this ship to another player. So long as the ship name doesn't change what is reflected in the permission, the new player is good to go. However, should he change the name, he needs to either re-confirm the permission inRP with the new ship name or ooRP with the faction leader who granted the original permission.

Your example is a tad more complicated though.

Faction: Billy's Friendship Club - BFC|
Exact Technology Granted: 4 Conference gunboats

This permission grants Billy's Friendship Club the use of 4 Conference gunboats. This means only members of Billy's Friendship Club have permission to use them, and they can only use 4 at any given time. If Gheis has one, BFC|Gheis, and he decides to leave Billy's Friendship Club he'd probably have to remove the faction tag; Gheis.

At that point, he has no permission to use the ship any longer. He would need to contact the owning faction to get permission for his use of the ship. In your example there is no official faction to ask and per the admins if there is no official faction, the cells are red. Thus he cannot use the ship.

You cannot grant permission for tech you do not own. The Junkers cannot grant Conference usage even though they may freely use them. Same thing applies in your example.
' Wrote:Ship Name: Bill's.Ship
Exact Technology Granted: Conference gunboat

Say I gave the above permission to Gheis. Gheis decides he is leaving Discovery and thus sells this ship to another player. So long as the ship name doesn't change what is reflected in the permission, the new player is good to go. However, should he change the name, he needs to either re-confirm the permission inRP with the new ship name or ooRP with the faction leader who granted the original permission.

Your example is a tad more complicated though.

Faction: Billy's Friendship Club - BFC|
Exact Technology Granted: 4 Conference gunboats

This permission grants Billy's Friendship Club the use of 4 Conference gunboats. This means only members of Billy's Friendship Club have permission to use them, and they can only use 4 at any given time. If Gheis has one, BFC|Gheis, and he decides to leave Billy's Friendship Club he'd probably have to remove the faction tag; Gheis.

At that point, he has no permission to use the ship any longer. He would need to contact the owning faction to get permission for his use of the ship. In your example there is no official faction to ask and per the admins if there is no official faction, the cells are red. Thus he cannot use the ship.

You cannot grant permission for tech you do not own. The Junkers cannot grant Conference usage even though they may freely use them. Same thing applies in your example.

But what if the faction gets the technology owners to change the tech allowance to "One ship will be under <insert name here>" without actually changing the number of ships allowed.
' Wrote:But what if the faction gets the technology owners to change the tech allowance to "One ship will be under <insert name here>" without actually changing the number of ships allowed.

You'll need to ask an admin. Seeing as once the faction loses its status, I doubt they are allowed to modify their permission. If they could, it would be fairly easy for once official factions to grant new technology simply by modifying their permission posts.
Tech grants aren't directly transferrable.

Sometimes tech is granted to a specific faction, sometimes to a person (specific character). In case of it being granted to a faction, in-faction transfers can be done. But not out of faction, or you'd get idiocies like this:

Simon the Smuggler deals with Outcasts a lot. Outcasts are happy with him and give him a few Krakens. Now Simon gets tired of playing Freelancer and gives his account to Bobby the Badass, who is a lawful mercenary. Bobby then gets hired to protect transports, and ends up shooting Outcasts with those guns. This is sanctionable, since Bobby was never given these weapons.

In the case of grants being given to a faction - they persist as long as the faction does, regardless of it being official or not. But if a faction leader has said "okay, screw this, faction is dead" and then someone else snaffles up the tag, that's a different matter. That would be a new faction under the same tag.