Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: FML
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So yea, today I somehow put a crack in my laptop's screen. It's supposed to be LCD, but it's leaking black stuff. Now there's a large black line running from the top-right corner to the bottom-right corner, and it's been getting bigger than it happened.

So my question, is that does anybody know a good place to get the screen replaced? The rental place we got the computer from wont do it anymore since we paid it off.

And no, I'm not using the laptop screen, I luckily had a desktop monitor that I can hook up:P
' Wrote:So yea, today I somehow put a crack in my laptop's screen. It's supposed to be LCD, but it's leaking black stuff. Now there's a large black line running from the top-right corner to the bottom-right corner, and it's been getting bigger than it happened.

So my question, is that does anybody know a good place to get the screen replaced? The rental place we got the computer from wont do it anymore since we paid it off.

And no, I'm not using the laptop screen, I luckily had a desktop monitor that I can hook up:P

LCD = LIQUID Crystal Display.

Basically your screen is leaking out of the crack.

You could ask at your local computer shop, but other than that, I have no idea where you could get the screen replaced, your laptop may end up being a desk top. :mellow:
' Wrote:LCD = LIQUID Crystal Display.
Really? I thought LCD was some lights that used gas. Meh, owell. According to someone on Skype, the black stuff is silicon and it will make the entire screen black in a few days.

Time for the laptop-desktop to emerge. FETCH THE MONITOR!
Model Number? Brand Name? Most likely you can buy a new screen and install it yourself russell.

Its probably not /that/ hard if you just buy the entire top assembly, screw in the swivel and attach ribbon cable and profit.
The Laptop's original manufacturer should be able to do the replacement. How much it costs may depend on warranty coverage and so on.

Alternately, as Andrew suggested, you could buy a new screen and install it yourself... but only if you're feeling confident.
THIS

However, you might want to get a specialized person to replace the thing (if you're not one).

I remember cracking a few laptops in my time (not screens) trying to replace parts (RAM,CPU,etc).
' Wrote:Its probably not /that/ hard if you just buy the entire top assembly, screw in the swivel and attach ribbon cable and profit.
All I understood was top assembly...

' Wrote:THIS

However, you might want to get a specialized person to replace the thing (if you're not one).

I remember cracking a few laptops in my time (not screens) trying to replace parts (RAM,CPU,etc).
Thanks Rivas, the place my mom was looking at, the screens were costing $200+
Do it by yourself, mind that there is inventor and converter you must find out what your LCD/LED is using first because you might buy new screen for the other type and you will need to buy the gadget too, and change it too(30-50$), mind that if you use other panel you might need to make place for the inverter/converter-

I cut piece of plastic from one XPS barebone for example from inside a bit to fit one of this and it worked out good because when it is closed you cannot notice it and it works as designed.
There are great tutorials how to disassemble almost every laptop in internet, it is easy for everyone with good set of tools(good screwdrivers- me proud owner of Wiha XSelector with diamond heads :P) and some technical understanding. Check everything several times before you buy, it could be possible that you can get better picture with other panel that would be working with no problem on your hardware, check all forum info in internet about your model of laptop and all available screens that fits in the barebone holes. DON'T buy cheap screen- it will look ugly and you will have bad experience with it, better invest some money into it(get LED One with included inverter and good recommendations, in this site I cannot see the exact manufactures of the screens together with the exact models.If I were you I would e-mail them for more info if you buy there) - good for your eyes and good for your health, I personally find the Matte ones better for Laptop, the Glossy are good if you use it most of the time outside but still matte just feels better for the eyes from my PoV. If you need some help after doing the leggwork you can PM me.
' Wrote:Really? I thought LCD was some lights that used gas. Meh, owell. According to someone on Skype, the black stuff is silicon and it will make the entire screen black in a few days.

Time for the laptop-desktop to emerge. FETCH THE MONITOR!
your thinking of LEDs
' Wrote:your thinking of LEDs

LED's are actually solid. No gas involved.
Pages: 1 2