Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Game Addiction or Compulsion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Before you read into the words I'm going to type before I go to sleep, please watch this video:
Extra Credits: Game Addiction

Its a long video, somewhere in the region of 20 minutes, so free up your desktop and have a hot drink or something.

Ok, watched the video? Good, hope so.

Hearing James' battle with game addiction or compulsion I should say, really struck a tone with me and the similarities that he faced in his younger years in life.

With me games really cocked up things when I was in secondary school, college, friendships, family and loved ones.

It started when my most lovely time in primary school (elementary to you Americans), I was a smart kid and got bullied for it. A lot, being chased across quarries with knives it a great way to traumatize one and get the police involved. This shattered my confidence in people and made me a shut in, even though I wanted to go out and have fun with friends, the people in my village treated me with a more disdain than anything else and I had to go to a secondary school further afield than anyone in my class was going too, I was hoping to get a fresh start.

Sods law, my awkward social skills made life in secondary absolute hell as well, I've still got the scars to prove it both mentally and physically. People are bloody cruel, and that mentality stuck and I retreated to my playstation... all the time every day. This then included my love for Runescape, and I retreated further and thought of nothing else, this cut into my then A grades into bad ones. I never did homework, I was always in detention and I kept getting scolded for not doing what I was meant to despite my natural intelligence they said. I didn't pay attention and the problem carried on.

Eventually I just got into college, and I tried to re-roll new friends, sadly as sods law indicates, it happened yet again, although not to the extend as before. I made a few friends, my best friend was in college with me, though most of the time I was alone and bored and though about nothing else but wanting to play games. This sucked.

Then things finally got better, I got a job in Gamestation, got in a relationship with a girl who worked there, who also plays games and I can honestly not think of a better time in my life. Then sods law indicated that I couldn't keep it, went back to gaming and eventually things fell apart with my girlfriend, though for differing (if conflicting reasons).

These days I spend most of my time on the computer, drinking up the club, playing snooker and working. Most of it gaming though, THAT isn't good. I curse Darkest Hour, Team Fortress, CoH, WoT and Freelancer for being such good escapes.

And here is the monstrosity you see today, I guess I feel a bit better getting it out and admitting to my friends that I am addicted to games on some level. I hate it, its been a factor in my being socially awkward, I tend to drop off the face of the world with my friends, I'm bad at keeping contact with people and keeping to my commitments.

I'm now working at... Amazon and the hours are not great, but its a start for me to get back into the real world, improve myself, save up to get out of my home and make a fresh start as a person.

I hope the video I showed you helped strike a cord, and I'm sorry for rambling in here, but that video helped smack me in the face and I had a self realization, so if you excuse me, bed is calling and work is looming.

Take care, and pray that on my next life re-roll, I hit a good pair.

-Fletcher aka Liam Riordan. Aged 21.
So are you leaving then dude? =(

If you are, can I have your stuff?
' Wrote:So are you leaving then dude? =(

if you are, send me your Kishiro| ships:P
Not quite, I don't want to go cold turkey that's not a good way.

I'm just going to take more steps to become a better person in life in general rather than hiding in virtual worlds.
' Wrote:Not quite, I don't want to go cold turkey that's not a good way.

I'm just going to take more steps to become a better person in life in general rather than hiding in virtual worlds.

Well good, I'd hate to see you just poof.

I know you've been doing a lot of RL stuff recently, and I know how that stuff goes.

Either way dude, hope things work out for ya in the best way.
[color=#FFFFFF]I don't know if I am addicted to games or not. I prefer to be out with friends laughing boozing failing at pulling girls etc etc. However when I do have free time I play games. And I'd rather play a game than watch telly or read a magazine for example. But the second a friend calls I'm out. So I classify my case as non-terminal addiction. However digital interactions can play a number on your confidence no matter if you are playign or using the social networks, so do some work on that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrihmVKNZ80

A short by the Discovery Chanel, damn creepy if you ask me but ultimately true
Congrats and all, I mean I'm happy for ya, but this? Not really the smartest choice to share your deepest thoughts with a bunch of Neanderthals (no offense my little puppies). You'll only get more bad stuff thrown at you, intentionally or not. And considering the fact that you were willing to share these things with us, makes me think you're not the most rock hard person out there, with the ability to ignore negative opinions and random one liners. Don't get me wrong now, that's all fine and well, I'm just saying you should stop worrying so much about others and start thinking about yourself.
The dose makes the poison, a principle of toxicology, was first expressed by Paracelsus.
Noone died from gameaddiction yet.

Ofcourse you dont get a sixpack in your tummy from playing FL 10h, so what?
Train your tummy 20min each day, then play your 10h FL.

Gameaddiction doesnt make you sick and Egoshooters dont make you become Amoc murder.