Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Problem Solved
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My main hard-drive has been filling up at a fantastic rate. The last time I checked my disk space today I had 60 gigs of free space. Now I have 6. It is constantly filling up, and, I'd like to know if anyone has any decent anti-virus programs for me to use before I can't download anything else due to lack of space.

Halp plos.

Edit: Wrong forum section >.<, I'll go ask a mod to move this to Software and Hardware
' Wrote:My main hard-drive has been filling up at a fantastic rate. The last time I checked my disk space today I had 60 gigs of free space. Now I have 6. It is constantly filling up, and, I'd like to know if anyone has any decent anti-virus programs for me to use before I can't download anything else due to lack of space.

Halp plos.

Edit: Wrong forum section >.<, I'll go ask a mod to move this to Software and Hardware

Comodo Internet Security Premium seems to be very good, it's what I'm using right now.

Get hold of Malwarebytes Anti-malware asap also.

Both of these programs are free.

Make sure both programs are updated, then get off the 'Net.

Whatever is filling up your HD is either generating files or downloading stuff from the internet, so you need to take your PC offline.

Before you run either program, backup anything important on your PC.

Start Comodo up and let it do a scan. This will take a few hours.
Rather it *might* take a few hours.
Mine does a full scan once a week and it takes about 3.5 hours, but I have a fairly large amount of HD capacity.

This should hopefully report and clean most viruses on your system.

Reboot your PC then run Anti-malwarebytes, whichever scan you want. The 'fast scan' mode should pick up any major nasties and give them the flick.

Reboot the PC again and run a scan with both Comodo and Anti-malwarebytes.
With a bit of luck you *should* come up clean, fingers crossed.

Or it is the virtual memory.
[1:42:27 AM] Hoban (Yorktown.E): I had that problem too....damn thing self-Indexes the HDD sometimes and eats up HDD as "working memory"....
[1:42:59 AM] Hoban (Yorktown.E): It's supposed to be there, but not running hardcore like that....it's a MS bug they "can't" fix.

After a bit of computer surfing at this man's advice, it seems that this is the problem. He's given me a few steps on how to fix it. I'll give it a shot, thanks for the help from you guys, especially Hoban:D
' Wrote:[1:42:27 AM] Hoban (Yorktown.E): I had that problem too....damn thing self-Indexes the HDD sometimes and eats up HDD as "working memory"....
[1:42:59 AM] Hoban (Yorktown.E): It's supposed to be there, but not running hardcore like that....it's a MS bug they "can't" fix.

After a bit of computer surfing at this man's advice, it seems that this is the problem. He's given me a few steps on how to fix it. I'll give it a shot, thanks for the help from you guys, especially Hoban:D

Oh yeah that thing.

It makes your HDD drive work overtime and that can cause all kinds of slowdowns and assorted other stupid stuff to happen.

Turning off the 'indexing service' I think it is, is a good thing to do.

*goes to do a little research so I'm sure I know what I'm talking about.

Edit: well, that was fast. THIS is what I was talking about.
[2:10:47 AM] Harrison Irwin (Irwin the Boognish): Mhm
[2:10:49 AM] Harrison Irwin (Irwin the Boognish): I am retarded.
[2:10:53 AM | Removed 2:13:58 AM] Harrison Irwin (Irwin the Boognish): This message has been removed.
[2:10:55 AM] Harrison Irwin (Irwin the Boognish): Found it.
[2:11:14 AM] Harrison Irwin (Irwin the Boognish): I had been recording a skype call I was in with Fraps.
[2:11:20 AM] Harrison Irwin (Irwin the Boognish): It lasted several hours >.<
[2:11:28 AM] Hoban (Yorktown.E): omfg 8-|
[2:11:31 AM] Harrison Irwin (Irwin the Boognish): I have no idea how but, it is at 165 gigabytes
[2:11:40 AM] Harrison Irwin (Irwin the Boognish): Rofl
[2:11:46 AM] Hoban (Yorktown.E): Oh, you're getting embarassed now....
[2:11:57 AM] Harrison Irwin (Irwin the Boognish): I am laughing so hard right now
[2:13:01 AM] Harrison Irwin (Irwin the Boognish): And
[2:13:10 AM] Harrison Irwin (Irwin the Boognish): That explains everything >.<
[2:13:20 AM] Hoban (Yorktown.E): Oh yeah it does...
[2:13:40 AM] Harrison Irwin (Irwin the Boognish): One hundred and sixty five gigabytes of video/audio
[2:13:41 AM] Harrison Irwin (Irwin the Boognish): >.<
[2:13:44 AM] Hoban (Yorktown.E): omfg...165gb Fraps Vid...

Derp. Looks like that's the real problem.

Well, problem solved. >.<
' Wrote:[2:10:47 AM] Harrison Irwin (Irwin the Boognish): Mhm
[2:10:49 AM] Harrison Irwin (Irwin the Boognish): I am retarded.
[2:10:53 AM | Removed 2:13:58 AM] Harrison Irwin (Irwin the Boognish): This message has been removed.
[2:10:55 AM] Harrison Irwin (Irwin the Boognish): Found it.
[2:11:14 AM] Harrison Irwin (Irwin the Boognish): I had been recording a skype call I was in with Fraps.
[2:11:20 AM] Harrison Irwin (Irwin the Boognish): It lasted several hours >.<
[2:11:28 AM] Hoban (Yorktown.E): omfg 8-|
[2:11:31 AM] Harrison Irwin (Irwin the Boognish): I have no idea how but, it is at 165 gigabytes
[2:11:40 AM] Harrison Irwin (Irwin the Boognish): Rofl
[2:11:46 AM] Hoban (Yorktown.E): Oh, you're getting embarassed now....
[2:11:57 AM] Harrison Irwin (Irwin the Boognish): I am laughing so hard right now
[2:13:01 AM] Harrison Irwin (Irwin the Boognish): And
[2:13:10 AM] Harrison Irwin (Irwin the Boognish): That explains everything >.<
[2:13:20 AM] Hoban (Yorktown.E): Oh yeah it does...
[2:13:40 AM] Harrison Irwin (Irwin the Boognish): One hundred and sixty five gigabytes of video/audio
[2:13:41 AM] Harrison Irwin (Irwin the Boognish): >.<
[2:13:44 AM] Hoban (Yorktown.E): omfg...165gb Fraps Vid...

Derp. Looks like that's the real problem.

Well, problem solved. >.<

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Good that it wasn't anything major. :yahoo: