Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Heat issues with CPU
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Har har folks,

Im running dual 2.66 Intel core and while its summer here, the air is really hot regularly, bout 30-ish + Celsius. Well my little PC is running over 100 degrees when fully loaded on both CPUs. Anybody know some good solution to this?

Badly attached fan? Not enough fresh air?
Maybe you got too much dust in it
Clean it up with a vacuum
1. How is the airflow/circulation in and around your case? Not enough fresh air seems rather probable.
2. Another tip is to replace the thermal paste/compound that links the actual cooler and the CPU - when was last time you replaced this or, if you haven't done so; when did you install the processor?

You can find many good guides for doing this on the net, for example: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/How...Thermal-Grease/

And a few other questions: How long ago did the problem start? Just this summer? And how were your temps before they started to go up in the 100s?
One hundred degrees Celsius? That miiight be doing a bit of damage to your CPU - Like Zahas said, clean the fan and case from dust (Its a desktop I presume) and if that doesn't work, applying new thermal paste to your CPU and/or replacing your CPU fan.
' Wrote:Maybe you got too much dust in it

Did that yesterday. Disassembled the van and cleaned it clean.

' Wrote:1. How is the airflow/circulation in and around your case? Not enough fresh air seems rather probable.
2. Another tip is to replace the thermal paste/compound that links the actual cooler and the CPU - when was last time you replaced this or, if you haven't done so; when did you install the processor?
You can find many good guides for doing this on the net, for example: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/How...Thermal-Grease/
And a few other questions: How long ago did the problem start? Just this summer? And how were your temps before they started to go up in the 100s?

Well, its under the table facing the wall with the air exhaustion. Never replaced the paste and its about 2 years 2 months since I put this together. And unsure when did it start, I was never checking, just thought about it yesterday when I nearly burnt my feet on the case.

' Wrote:One hundred degrees Celsius? That miiight be doing a bit of damage to your CPU - Like Zahas said, clean the fan and case from dust (Its a desktop I presume) and if that doesn't work, applying new thermal paste to your CPU and/or replacing your CPU fan.

As per above:)
' Wrote:Har har folks,

Im running dual 2.66 Intel core and while its summer here, the air is really hot regularly, bout 30-ish + Celsius. Well my little PC is running over 100 degrees when fully loaded on both CPUs. Anybody know some good solution to this?

Badly attached fan? Not enough fresh air?

Possibly badly attached fan, but I would first check the fan/heat sink for your CPU.

Dust will clog up your heat sink making it less efficient at cooling.
This is a bad thing in places where the weather is hot on a regular basis.

Open your case and make sure the heat sink/fan is clean.
Use 'canned air'/compressed air and a small brush to do this.

Make sure you immobilize the fan, so that you don't cause it damage from spinning too fast when you use the air. A toothpick or some similar non-conductive item is good for this.

Also, while you have the case open, tidy up the wires and cables to improve airflow.

Another thing you can do is make sure any air 'intake' areas are clear of stuff that might block them.

Those are the things you can do that won't cost you much/anything.

Remounting your heat sink/fan is a little trickier.
The big thing to remember, is that if it is the heat sink at fault, you would have been having 'overheating' problems even when it was cool, so if it only gets really hot when the weather is warm, I don't think you have a problem there.

What sort of PC case do you have, just as a matter of interest?

My case, a Cooler Master 'Centurion 5 II' has two extra fan mounts on the side of the case, which I have mounted fans on. These fan are 'extractors', drawing air from inside the case, thus increasing the airflow.

I don't expect to have any temperature problems this summer.

I'm in Western Australia btw, so I'm expecting temps well over 30' C.

Edit: Ninja'd
I have no idea bout the case. Its just the case. I hate reattaching the fan since it has these four somethings I cant attach properly it seems. Will be trying again soon tho.
' Wrote:Maybe you got too much dust in it

This! my laptop tends to have the same problem, so i clean the cooling sistems in a regular basis (or at least i try it) an overheated CPU reduces the efficiency and... if you don't clean it... it will broke down the CPU in little time, so you have to be really careful about... i was close to loose a my previous laptop exactly for that reason
I know that feel.
Its just law of termodynamics. CPU produced a sum of heatenergy fan transports it away from CPU.

If on hot days/weeks the CPU-Fan team do a bad job you can conclude theyr not meant to run if its that hot.

You can try tricks like downclocking (opposite of Overclocking) your CPU by lowering voltage and multiplier so less energy is used and less heat produced or you buy a new bigger fan.

Thers nothing wrong with yours, its just to hot for some boxes.
Pages: 1 2