Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Remove Trent from the Mod?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I was just thinking about something, or rather someone, who has always bothered me in the Discovery mod (well in the SP too but thats another story).

Trent.

When you land on planets and talk to people, you always see Trent standing around and making noise with his mouth, looking and sounding kinda dumb.

On a role play server where you are role playing as someone else than Trent, its really contrary to what is suposed to be happening, and is a constant huge imperfection every time it pops up.

So I propose a solution:

In future mod versions, totally erase the 3D model of Trent (or rather, replace it with something totally invisible, if a gap filler is needed), and replace all the sound waves of him talking with silence.

I looked at a lot of bar scenes, and jsut removing Trent wouldnt make them too awkward, and it would be less weird than to have him being your char again.

So just erase his 3D model and audio.

I think that should be really fast and easy?

If possible, you could also right a script that automatically deletes the parts in cutscenes where trent is talking, so there isnt a pause. That would also make talking to people in the bar a bit faster and thereby less annoying (maybe making reading bar rumors a bit more fun).

Even if the scene itself isnt removable and if there was a pause, I think it would be a lesser problem than having Trent there.

Additionally, the same thing (deleting either the part of the scene or just the audio) could be done for every bit where someone says "Trent". For example "Treeeeennnt nice to seee youuuuu".

If you need someone to find you all the dialogues and give you the files where "Trent" is said (in the FL audio/dialogue dir) I could do that.

Some people may say "not worth it" because they are used to seeing it.

I personally think its worth it, because it takes out something that is contrary to what the game in Discovery is intended to be, and its not a lot of work.

If someone knows and tells me how the "scenes" files in the data/scripts can be decoded, I could also try to cut the parts with Trent in it out. If that part isnt feasable, I think already that jsut removing Trents' 3d model and audio would be a great improvement to the overall RP atmosphere of the mod.

Thoughts? (Im asking especiall devs here)
well when you RP, you RP a character that isnt trent and that nobody else will ever see within the game.

its not like you land on a station and you can see the other people also on the station, so that there are loads of trents everywhere, technically there has only ever been 1 trent, because all the trents that exist do not exist in the same physical space as the others, which is why if you ever have station RP, you arent trent, sat talking to another trent.

Id say really, just leave it be.
Plus this entire proposal is facilitated by the 'ESC' key, which will zip you through the entire cutscene anyway.
[color=#FFFFFF]I suggested something a while back:

Make chars models customizable (dunno if it's possible it might be hard coded) But from what I got it should be done client side
Remove Trent??? Man did you drink something? That's madness! No of course not! I can't get enough of Trent even after speaking million times to the npcs inside bars!
' Wrote:[color=#FFFFFF]I suggested something a while back:

Make chars models customizable (dunno if it's possible it might be hard coded) But from what I got it should be done client side
I saw this in the Star Wars mod spoilers for FL. It works somehow there.
What is gained by removing him?
' Wrote:well when you RP, you RP a character that isnt trent and that nobody else will ever see within the game.

its not like you land on a station and you can see the other people also on the station, so that there are loads of trents everywhere, technically there has only ever been 1 trent, because all the trents that exist do not exist in the same physical space as the others, which is why if you ever have station RP, you arent trent, sat talking to another trent.

Id say really, just leave it be.

Your reasoning is all reasoning that people see themselves as Trent but shouldnt cause they are not Trent.
So why leave it be when Trent can easily jsut be removed, so that people dont see themselves as Trent anymore. I dont see your logic.

' Wrote:Plus this entire proposal is facilitated by the 'ESC' key, which will zip you through the entire cutscene anyway.

But you still see him at hte ship dealer and so on, and before you can press esc when the scene starts.

I know they can be skipped with esc. I'm talking about Trent not having a place there anymore, since people are not Trent.

' Wrote:[color=#FFFFFF]I suggested something a while back:

That would be nice, but for several reasons not possilble, nor really worht the effort:
-The appearance would have to be changed for each of your chars. And other peopel dont even see your chars, so very few people will see it worht the effort to make a ragdoll for your char, even if htere was a nice editor for it.
-The voice would still be Trent's, as would the face animations (becomes apparent if you look of how the 3D directories are strucutred)

So, I think just removing him is best, and easierst. Its not like he ever says anything interesting anyway.

:

Atmosphere and consistency. Its not like its much work to do.
Trent is a detail nobody cares about except you. One second of image... c'mon seriously?
It can be jumped and it doesn't matter. I don't (and i'm sure MANY others too) see myself as Trent. It is -one- image on the station where you don't RP anyways.
I'm beginning to understand why the release of 4.86 takes that long. Because every person has a LITTLE detail that he wnats to be changed but only HE cares about.
Does this really matter? We have waaaaaaay more pressing matters to attend to regarding the mod. Besides, we only see Trent for a fraction of the time that we play this game.

Just leave it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4