Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Sound driver installation problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok believe I have got somewhere now.
Hopefully.

The computer I have is a asus terminator-2

Found the sound Driver I need.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/service/t...id=4157743

But whenever I try to install it, it fails and says, "Can't find Driver, please reboot and run this program again."

Am I doing something wrong or something? Need help just to get it installed finially and hopefully.
' Wrote:Ok believe I have got somewhere now.
Hopefully.

The computer I have is a asus terminator-2

Found the sound Driver I need.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/service/t...id=4157743

But whenever I try to install it, it fails and says, "Can't find Driver, please reboot and run this program again."
Am I doing something wrong or something? Need help just to get it installed finially and hopefully.

So you have THIS computer?

It should have come with a complete set of drivers.

According to the linked article above, your 'sound card' is built into the motherboard and it's this one;

Realtek AC' 97 6 channel ALC655, not a SoundMax.

To help sort this problem, get hold of a program called "Speccy" from Piriform.

You can get it HERE.

Download the free version, install it and run it.

Speccy should tell you what 'sound card' you have, along with information about what else you have in your system.

Speccy is one of the most useful programs I've found for giving me info on what is in a computer.
If I was a computer tech, I'd have a copy on a CD/thumb drive just for that purpose when going to a clients place.

Anyway, do that or try the realtek drivers. You can't be any worse off than you are now..... I think.

I'll check back when I crawl out of bed in the morning.
http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/barebone-asu...nator2-eng.html

I have that computer, Barebone for Asus Intel Socket 478

Same case as the one you provided in your link and your link fails to show the motherboard for which I know what it is and is with in the link I have just given.

ASUS P4P8T on i865G in ASUS T2-P
AD1888 Driver io 29.08.2003

I have already run several programs like speccy, and they never tell me what I need, and if they do the driver I try won't work yet again.

Nor do I have the disks. I purchased it second hand, and used the motherboard and frame as the workhouse for a new computer. No disk thank you.

[EDIT]Ran Speccy:
Has told me There is NO Audio Device Detected, just as Dxdiag tells me that. When I know perfectable damn well there is one there on the motherboard.

Right so anyone who sees this can know the full story.

When I got the computer I took out the old Hard drive (Wiped)
Put in my old Hard drive.
Ran it
Sound came out
Managed to re-activate Windows
No sound
Dxdiag does not read a sound card
Bios reads a sound card
Old Driver (AC'97) is marked red
Asks me to re-install it
I do
Tells me my computer will crash once installed
Computer crash's
I un-install ac'97
remove it from the computer manually
Contacted a technical area in a gaming community (Freeallegiance/mostly computer geeks there)
Advised to install C Media driver
Tells me I need HDA audio bus controller
Report it back
Install updated motherboard Chip set
Works
Advised to install a Soundmax driver
Tells me the same thing
Report it back
Given 5 different driver updaters
Tried several Drivers recommended by them.
Given the same result
Contacted by another member of that community
Made sure Bios was allowing the card to be read
Done
MIDI readable, Sound card not by windows
Still readable by Bios
Asked to try another soundmax driver
Same result
Finially found the computers full make and model
Finially know what windows should be reading
Get recommended Driver
Install it
Tells me I need to install a Driver
and well I am now here, and I feel like I really want to rip my motherboard apart.

Overall:
Bios reads chip
I know the chip actaully works
Windows does not read chip
Installing the driver asks me to install a driver
Ok, really stupid question here.

You say the BIOS says the sound card is there.

The question is....... is it enabled?

Told you it was a stupid question.

I'm guessing that it is enabled in the BIOS.

All I can suggest is you go the ASUS web site and check out their drivers for your motherboard.

Link --> http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLan...amp;p=8&os=

I've had a look and they are OLD drivers, 2004 version.
There are also a number of other things there which might be of use.

I also did a Goooogle search on the ASUS P4P8T and you aren't the only person having a 'sound card' problem with that motherboard.

If all else fails, you should be able to disable the onboard sound and install an inexpensive sound card, which is what I ended up doing with one of my motherboards.

I can't really offer any other advice, as it looks like you have pretty much covered everything except for holding a blow torch to the MB and buying a new one.
Already done the steps there.

Downloaded the driver you suggested. Installed, windows says it didn't like it. installed it anyway. Installed can't find it anywhere in device manager or the audio driver list. Then this morning started my computer up, crashed vefore it even got to windows. Had to remove AC'97 yet again.

Though last night was very strange. Before I installed it I ran CCleaner, just scanned my computer then closed it as no major things was wrong with anything that it could detect, half an hour later my computer found a new hardware. Dunno what the hell is but I do know it is a System Device;(Intel® 82865G/PE/P/GV82848P processor to I/O Controller - 2570)

I have seen many other solutions to the problem on the net. Even tried making the computer think its service pack 2 and 1 which I found on the net to do, and I just kept getting the same result.

The link you provided there from asus is the driver I've tried before coming here. (not direct from asus, and not v6. V5.12.1.4520 and a couple other versions.)
In a previous post where you listed what you did, you actually had sound when you installed your hard drive BEFORE you re-activated Windows.

Can you remember what sound drivers you had at that point?

If so, see if you can hunt them down and try them.

Another thing you can do is completely uninstall any and all sound drivers that you have on the system currently, reboot the PC and with a bit of luck Windows should install the Windows basic sound drivers.
Note I said *should*.

Windows doesn't always do what you expect it to.

If the Windows drivers work, it won't be fancy and you won't have access to any 'toys' for the sound card, but at least you will have sound.
Yep, it was realtek AC'97 but after re-activiting windows it wouldn't work and I tried to install it and update it. My computer kept on crashing at end of install or update.

Downloading sp30177, then install a driver and i'll see if that works.

Just got a message for the problem on the other gaming community site. Someones had the same problem as me, just need to keep booting and installing. though hes not sure which step was the one that got it working.

I don't have any drivers installed in device manager (got a few codecs, but can't remove them, nor do they have a driver tab) and I am not being asked for a driver.

HOLD THE PRESS

Just been looking through the AD1888 package found 2 readme files. one say install another said update. But then afterwards I ran to install it, and hey prestoo I can select driver components to install. Thingers crossed.

Update:
I can choose which driver I want Soundmax to install before starting the install.
However when I get to the end of the install I get the same error of Cannot find Driver.

There is only the MIDI driver in device manager for audio devices. It doesn't automatically find one either.