Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Extent of human rights in Sirius
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
These are just my thoughts, feel free to offer your own.

LIBERTY
  • Everything is privatised- you can only get things like healthcare, education and even police protection if you can pay for it,
  • Government appears to be influenced massively by corporate decisions,
  • Sliding scale of conservative/progressive values: Whatever the corporations want.
BRETONIA
  • Based on a mix of Victorian, World War II and modern Britain- monarchy has a lot of political power, but there is a Parliament that makes decisions,
  • Might have a National Health Service- modern influence?
  • Corporations do get seats in Parliament representing their interests, but then again so do the Armed Forces,
  • Sliding scale of conservative/progressive values: Depends on who has a majority in Parliament.
KUSARI
  • Based on Feudal Japan- In theory an absolute monarchy, the ruling classes are all influenced by corporations (Samura mostly) and Police ignore Hogosha (Yakuza),
  • Seems to have a level of privatisation below that of Liberty, as I said, massive corporate influence,
  • Sliding scale of conservative/progressive values: DEFINATELY towards the conservative side.
RHEINLAND
  • Appears to be a combination of pre-WWI and inter-war Germany,
  • Only has representatives from planets attending the Reichstag- some planets controlled by corporations,
  • Sliding scale of conservative/progressive values: From the Wiki, it appears to depend based on the wishes of the planet in question, but the Bundschuh's ideologies do seem rather toward the progressive end and the movement was criminalised, so...
' Wrote:LIBERTY
  • Everything is privatised- you can only get things like healthcare, education and even police protection if you can pay for it,
  • Government appears to be influenced massively by corporate decisions,
  • Sliding scale of conservative/progressive values: Whatever the corporations want.
I'd say something slightly different...
  • Most things are privatised. Healthcare is privatised. The state provides schooling, up to the age of 16, but beyond that, private.
  • The LPI are a private company (as you know) which has won a contract from the government. Police service is still free to the taxpayer at the point of use, however LPI officers are not state employees, but rather glorified security contractors.
' Wrote:I'd say something slightly different...
  • Most things are privatised. Healthcare is privatised. The state provides schooling, up to the age of 16, but beyond that, private.
  • The LPI are a private company (as you know) which has won a contract from the government. Police service is still free to the taxpayer at the point of use, however LPI officers are not state employees, but rather glorified security contractors.

I get what you're saying. The point I was trying to make was that Liberty is the logical extension of capitalism- even the police are a private company that just happens to have a government contract.
' Wrote:KUSARI
  • Based on Feudal Japan- In theory an absolute monarchy, the ruling classes are all influenced by corporations (Samura mostly) and Police ignore Hogosha (Yakuza),
  • Seems to have a level of privatisation below that of Liberty, as I said, massive corporate influence,
  • Sliding scale of conservative/progressive values: DEFINATELY towards the conservative side.

Feudal Japan was ruled by Shoguns. That happened in Kusari the first 300 years after settlement. Now it is in the Imperial Era where the Emperor is the unchallenged head of state but of course he is not alone. Political influence by Hogosha, Samura, Kishiro, Farmers Alliance, etc severes his powers.
why isnt the hispanian/gallic nation represented?
' Wrote:why isnt the hispanian/gallic nation represented?

Because none of which have any value of human lives, not to mention rights. Corsairs eat people and use slaves, Outcasts use slaves and infect people with dangerous drug, and Gallia don't care to kill millions of innocents in it's vengeance rampage.
' Wrote:I get what you're saying. The point I was trying to make was that Liberty is the logical extension of capitalism- even the police are a private company that just happens to have a government contract.

Absolutely. But without the government contract, they wouldn't be the police.:P

The issue comes in the fact they profit further by having the free workforce on the prison stations, sewing wallets, among other things. It increases the desire for arrests, to generate more free labour for the company, showing liberty that everyone's all "tough on crime", while completely also being completely unaccountable, due to the profit driven nature of the service.

It's a horrific dystopia.
All houses are run by armed forces.
' Wrote:All houses are run by armed forces.

All Armed Forces belong to IND.

However, I have to say: nice to see sth. like this here. It might help a lot of people with their RP.