Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Engine effects
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: osirisengine.png]
This is how the Osiris engine looks like. I guess many of you out there knew that already.

Now, why am I making ANOTHER thread about engines?
Simple answer. Because I'd love for similar engines to have the same nice trail effect.

Here are the Liberty Dreadnought and Cruiser engine effects, which are also used on other ships:
[Image: 7453bertyengines.png]
Those ships are turning, but the rings stay unchanged, unlike the Osiris engines ring trail.
So, would it be possible to give the other engines also such nice trails?
Because the static engine of the Liberty Dreadnought or Cruiser doesn't look nearly as great as the Osiris engine. This is just about looks, so, not really very important.

Just thought I should point it out and ask if it's maybe possible to do without big problems. Maybe it isn't even that hard to do?
Engines can be done (Gallia) but... is it smart to touch vanilia ships?
Mhh, you must keep in mind, those ships weren't really available for free flight in Vanilla. That means some things weren't perfected for how we use them now.
I actually like the Libdread engine effect better. The Ossie one just looks like it's puffing smoke rings.
I'm going to have to refer this one to Lohringen, our resident effects whizz...
I duno, but I do think the Dread Engine is an newer, more effective engine then the Ossie. Thus its shorter trail.

Although I can't deny that I love the long smoke rings. If that gets implemented on the Dread.. :@ SO GUD.

On a side note, the Dread's 3rd person view should get a bit zoom'ed out like the Ossie. Right now it feels way too close.
To make it clear:
I'm just talking about those rings of the engines shown.
The Liberty ships are BOTH flying a curve on the screenshots.
They are NOT going in a straight line.
I like diversity. And different engines helps on that too. Honestly, i think they are fine as they are.
It isn't about diversity here. It's about that it looks too static how it is. The rings on the Dread move with the ship as if they were part of it. It looks weird and unfitting as those rings move slowly, not like the main engine. On the Osiris the rings don't do that. They are where they "spawned" and they stay there until they disappear after a short while. This looks much better and much more realistic.
Oh, you mean to curve the engine rings on the ship when they turn.

erm, not sure. It can be done I think. But probably only on the Dread/Carrier/(maybe)Cruiser. It certainly won't be done on the GB/Guardian.
Pages: 1 2