Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: New Computers Can Be Annoying...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, my old wireless internet card doesn't seem to want to work with my new computer. It's either due to Window's 7, or the PCI slot on the new computer...

A little help perhaps from the more technologically minded people here?

Wireless card is the Belkin Wireless G Desktop Card F5D7000 Ver 5100. Windows 7 is Home Premium, 64 bit.

I've tried different drivers, and installing them different ways, but to no avail. The card gets power, the light on it marked "pwrnk" lights up when I start up the computer, but then it turns off. But, the light on it marked "act" (which flashes on and off when using the internet), stays dimly lit, as it does when the card is getting power and working normal, as now. But when it IS working correctly, as now, the "pwrnk" stays on, and flashes on and off steadily when working, but not connected.

I tried the wireless card in both open PCI slots in the new computer, did the same thing in both. One of the PCI slots is blocked by the fan on the video card though, and the wireless card barely fits in it as it is...

This is being posted from my old computer, with the same wireless card, and it's working fine, so it is not the card it's self, possibly a compatibility issue with Windows 7 perhaps.

So, any advice?
' Wrote:So, my old wireless internet card doesn't seem to want to work with my new computer. It's either due to Window's 7, or the PCI slot on the new computer...

A little help perhaps from the more technologically minded people here?

Wireless card is the Belkin Wireless G Desktop Card F5D7000 Ver 5100. Windows 7 is Home Premium, 64 bit.

I've tried different drivers, and installing them different ways, but to no avail. The card gets power, the light on it marked "pwrnk" lights up when I start up the computer, but then it turns off. But, the light on it marked "act" (which flashes on and off when using the internet), stays dimly lit, as it does when the card is getting power and working normal, as now. But when it IS working correctly, as now, the "pwrnk" stays on, and flashes on and off steadily when working, but not connected.

I tried the wireless card in both open PCI slots in the new computer, did the same thing in both. One of the PCI slots is blocked by the fan on the video card though, and the wireless card barely fits in it as it is...

This is being posted from my old computer, with the same wireless card, and it's working fine, so it is not the card it's self, possibly a compatibility issue with Windows 7 perhaps.

So, any advice?

Well.... the obvious one is to lash out and buy a new wireless card that states it is compatible with Win 7.

The other thing you can do is see if there are Win 7 drivers available for your current wifi card.

There is a fairly decent chance that there are, it's just a matter of finding them.

Also....this is in flood why?

Never mind, it'll be moved to the software/hardware section any moment now....

Edit: had a quick look via Gooogle and came up with this --> http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/30418-b...html#post783849

It might be worth a look, but I wouldn't hold your breath until it actually works.

I also saw that the Windows Vista drivers for your card may work in Win 7, but don't quote me on that.
Yep, we'll just carry this on upstairs. Good luck with sorting things out, Sterlin.
[Image: Microsoft_Evil_Comic.gif]

On a slightly side note, on my laptop the network cards activate only after going into power saving mode and back. While the laptop itself has drivers for the Windows XP, the system is not officially supported on that model. You can have something along those lines.

In other words, you may consider trying to do some ancient tribal Windows magic with turning some stuff on and off and, of course, following the guide at Mickk's link.
*Wonders if Sterlin got the problem sorted.....