Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Ammo using weapons
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I saw a post awhile ago by somebody suggesting a new gun that uses ammo.

(don't ask who, what the thread title was etc, I can't remember:()

It kinda got shot down cos of the ammo limit.

I had an idea, I've seen it done in other mods. How about changing the ammo size for those guns?

Maybe reduce it to 0.25 of 'normal' so that you can hold 4x as much.

While we're on this subject, if it is possible how about changing some other ammo sizes as well?

Make torps bigger then missiles, missiles bigger then mines and mines bigger then CM flares.

Sizes would need some balancing but it would make things more 'believable' after all a torpedo is usually alot bigger then a CM flare.
/signs

I was thinking of the same thing just the other day:)... we could have like a "vulcan cannon", which uses ammo. (Hell I even got a *great* sound effect for it). But I came up against the same roadblock, ie. ammo limit too low. Didn't think of having fractional ammo size.... not sure if it'll work, but it'd take about 3 seconds to try it.

As for the ordinance size.... I'd say mine is bigger than a missile. ie:

Torp -> Mine -> Missile -> Flare

But what is your suggestion here.... make them consume cargo size? Coz atm they are all "zero volume".

o.

ps. About the vulcan cannon idea.... heheh, the Bretonia weapon that looks like a minigun is actually labelled "mass_driver" in the ini files. And the other Bret wep is called a "railgun". Methinks the original designers had a similar idea;)
//can I post faster than McNeo? EDIT: YES I CAN! EDIT EDIT: I can edit faster too...

I like it, they had something similar on another mod. I can't remember the name right off the top of my head, but they made the gun look like it took ammo. After it hit 0, it still fired, for some odd reason.

EDIT @ McNeo: Bah. I started posting about two minutes after you.
Would certainly add new strategies if mass drivers were given to main factions, or even just a few generic ones, such as civilian, corsair and outcast (as outcasts and corsairs mounting the same stuff doesnt wash with me...).

Onca, his suggestion is that the ammo cargo constant, set at 70, be kept the same, but the ammo size (bullets/slugs) be set to 0.25. I would suggest lower at 0.10. At 0.25, you could have 280 shots, as 4 ammo takes up 1 ammo cargo space.

And I would suggest to vary the sizes of the ammunition, but then please take away the nerf that the sunslayers and other missiles got, and give the torps a good boost in either tracking or damage, as having, say 10 torps (an example where a torp takes 7 ammo slots) would really be a hindrance and no one would use them..

So, flares would have, say, 0.10 size, so you could have 700 of them ... >.>

EDIT: Boss, difference is, I actually posted more than two lines of writing:P
YOU CAN DO THAT!?

*twitches*

Well, that would solve the problems for ALL the freaking ammo-using weapons I've proposed over the months!:dry:WHY don't people tell mwa these things?
I'll try it when I get home from work.
*Part 2*

I couldn't for the life of me find where you can specify how much ammo a shot requires.... so it may be a no go:(

But that aside, I tried the gun thing anyway. I took a regular Javelin and basically increased the acceleration to like 1000 over 1 sec, giving a speed of *drum roll* 1000m/s. Then I upped the fire rate to 0.25. I stripped the missile of its contrail, so that it's now just a tiny projectile flying thru space very fast. The overall effect is pretty pleasing -- it looks like a bullet shooting towards the target, which is what you'd expect;)

Oh yeah and I added a "bang" sound effect.

Problems:
- Don't know how to turn off missile lock
- Only fires one per mouse-click, unlike regular guns which keep going as you hold the button down
- Automatically deselected in your weps list
- The ammo problem, as above

I'm sure the first 3 can be solved very easily, once I have a bit more play time.
At least it had some use then...

Go for it onca, good luck with it too.

I barely have time to log in during the week. Let alot start messing with files and stuff.

EDIT:

I remembered the thread!

Its was one of eppys.
Well, an interesting option is found in the Star Wars mod, Freeworlds.

Ammo takes up cargo space, different sorts of ammo taking up different amounts of room.
' Wrote:Well, an interesting option is found in the Star Wars mod, Freeworlds.

Ammo takes up cargo space, different sorts of ammo taking up different amounts of room.
maybe we could gut the freeworlds thing and see what it has?
i could look for the ammo thing, i got a copy of it at home.
Pages: 1 2