Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Nvidia GT 520
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So I'm preparing to build a new PC. I don't need a fancy GPU and I'd prefer one that is far more quite than my current aging 7950GT. The GT 520 is a newer card from what I can tell; DX11 capable, but a lower end card. Seeing as I only play Freelancer on my PC I don't think that is an issue.

Anyone have one? If so can I get some feedback on them? I'm going to get an XFX one, I've had good dealings with them.
Add me on Skype as Praedictum

I can help you build your comp with some fast links to components for your build

i built mine and my girlfriends Without a single issue.

And i can compare that video card.
Oh, I know how to build a PC and all that jazz. I'm just looking for input on this particular video card. I'm wondering exactly how low end it is. There was only one review on Newegg for it and it was all

Pro: Its amazing
Cons: None

So it wasn't very informative.
Are you going intel or amd ?

its real simple

Intel drivers work better with Gforce / nvidia drivers and Amd drivers work better with AMD gfx Cards And if there is not a whole bunch of reviews don't get it.

HIS H467QR1GH Radeon HD 4670

Same thing on an amd Base i have had nothing but good things about this card.
' Wrote:Are you going intel or amd ?

its real simple

Intel drivers work better with Gforce / nvidia drivers and Amd drivers work better with AMD gfx Cards And if there is not a whole bunch of reviews don't get it.

HIS H467QR1GH Radeon HD 4670

Same thing on an amd Base i have had nothing but good things about this card.

No.

It doesn't matter. AMD + AMD Graphics vs AMD + Nvidia will have no difference whatsoever.

Don't go by keeping everything amd, or keeping anything Intel + Nvidia. It sounds like it should, but it's not.

No offense intended, of course.

But onto Daedric's question

The 520 will of course play Freelancer, but it's more for Movie viewing, TV watching. As new games will be running at around 20 frames maximum on the lowest graphics.

And this may be a shocker.

That 7950 GT is better than the 520. Games Graphics wise.

Seriously.

The 520 is a 50 dollar card, cheap, without a fan ( in some cases ) and Low profile, not designed for gaming. All the ram does is furthur increase resolution during those videos

The 7950 GT, despite it being old. will cost around 80ish dollars.

But my advice, unless that 7950 GT is breaking, keep it.
Indeed the 7950GT is aging and nearly death. Its partner took the long road earlier this year. My current PSU should be up to snuff to make the move over to the new rig so I may spend that savings on a better video card. I don't want another noisy one like the 7950GT though.

Oh and yes, I'm an Intel fanboi.
Or you can save up a few more dollars and get a decent video card

I use a gigabyte 6850 personally its Not super good but with a Minor over clock i push frame rates of 60 and 70 frames per second.
I don't have this card, but I do have a recent AMD card. I upgraded from an NVidea 280(?) GT. I'll tell you that NVidea has the better usability by far. The drivers and tools offered by the NVidea Control Panel are years ahead of the Catalyst Control Center and just as much more accessible.

I'll also say that if you buy EVGA and register the card, their customer support is second to none. My NVidea 9800 GTX+ died two years after I bought it and they actually replaced the card even though the warranty was technically over. I'd also suggest EVGA hands down. Totally worth the extra $12-20.
all I can say is, spend more money on GPU, less on the CPU. Take that advice how you will. Bottleneck in ~99% of computers is the GPU, not the processor
What's your budget Daedric? I can sum up what your gonna spend on each item, then suggest a good card for you to possibly grab.
Pages: 1 2 3